1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Do you watch movies on TV with commercials?

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by Neener, Jan 18, 2021.

1. Neener

Neener Tele-Holic

Sometimes I watch movies on TV with commercials, that I know I can easily stream on demand.

Anyone else? why do we do this? o_O

electrichead likes this.
  2. Brad Pittiful

Brad Pittiful Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

yes i do...i dont pay attention to the commercials

uriah1, getbent and Neener like this.
  3. Jakedog

Jakedog Telefied Ad Free Member

The haven’t watched broadcast TV in over ten years unless it’s on someplace I’m playing, or in a hotel room while I’m traveling.

Commercials are the reason I don’t, and have never had cable tv. If I’m paying a premium price to watch TV, I’m not watching advertising. Only commercial free streaming services for me. I don’t even know what’s on regular TV.

1955, superjam144, capgun and 2 others like this.
  4. nojazzhere

nojazzhere Doctor of Teleocity

Occasionally.....it gives me time to go wash dishes or go to the bathroom.

Toto'sDad and Neener like this.
  5. Steerforth

Steerforth Friend of Leo's

But how do you know which pharmaceuticals to ask your doctor about? :p

We don’t even have have normal TV. We have a Blu-Ray player and streaming services, but there ain’t no dadblamed, consarned commercials. We control what comes out of the TV, and we only watch wholesome stuff, like horror movies and things like that. :D

6. DougM

DougM Poster Extraordinaire

I'm old school. I still have cable and I like it. I like being able to scroll through the channel guide and see what's on and then decide what to watch. I also have some favorite channels and shows, like TCM, and the oldies channels. I also have all the HBO, Cinemax, and Showtime channels. I don't mind commercials. They allow me time to go pee without missing anything.

nojazzhere likes this.
  7. Jakedog

I like streaming cause I can still peruse a menu and decide what to watch. And if I have to pee, I can just pause it and not have the anxiety of wondering whether or not I’ll make it back in time.

We always had Netflix. Then we got Amazon cause of my wife’s Prime account. Then she got the girls Disney Plus cause of the whole staying at home thing. Then we got HBO Max free through our phone service. I’m drowning in programming.

Toto'sDad, nojazzhere and DougM like this.
  8. Rocky058

Rocky058 Tele-Afflicted

I have had very little interest in TV for many years.

Once in awhile a movie on Netflix or Prime. Maybe a little golf, but that's it.

I find 90% of TV to be trash, pandering to the lowest common denominator.

capgun likes this.
  9. BelairPlayer

BelairPlayer Tele-Afflicted

Nope. I can’t even receive broadcast right now. No antenna, no intention of finding one. I’ll just watch what I want, when I want minus the commercials.

Jakedog likes this.
  10. Neener

Neener Tele-Holic

I hate commercials and have most major streaming platforms, but still end up sitting through an entire movie commercials and all...Most likely out of pure laziness

Granted I am on my phone for Most of the movie browsing reverb, CL & FB marketplace...oh and of course TDPRI

11. capgun

capgun Tele-Meister

I’ve never in my adult life had a desire for cable tv. Of course when I was a child and didn’t know better, I watched it all the time. Lived with a girl for 8 years once that had to have the top cable package. So she paid for it. Near the end of the relationship is when MTV/VH1 started with all the garbage reality shows. One reason I’m glad we broke up.

Capgun

Rocky058 likes this.
  12. DougM

I should get Netfix just to watch my friend's series called Julie and the Phantoms, about a girl who starts a band with a bunch of ghosts. His name is Kenny Ortega. We were friends in high school, and now he's a famous director. He did the choreography for the original Dirty Dancing, and directed Newsies, Hocus Pocus, and the High School Musical and Descendants movies on Disney. He also did a lot of music videos, Cher, Michael Jackson, Gloria Estafan, and others. He just recently got his star on the Hollywood walk of fame.

Jakedog and Steerforth like this.
  13. nojazzhere

nojazzhere Doctor of Teleocity

It's probably more like 97% trash.....
    But the remaining 3% is what I like. ;)

Rocky058 likes this.
  14. Richie Cunningham

Richie Cunningham Tele-Afflicted

I like TV. ‘Mercials are okay when they show that one cute girl.

Fluddman likes this.
  15. Jakedog

That’s my daughter’s favorite show. They have t-shirts, posters, CD, the whole nine yards.

DougM likes this.
  16. Jakedog

My main beef with cable is the advertising. That’s it. They have millions and millions of accounts paying premium prices to watch their channels. Selling advertising on top of that is just greed. And really annoying to sit through.

17. Richie Cunningham

Richie Cunningham Tele-Afflicted

You guys already know the best way to deal with ‘mercials. Zone out with your phone out.

Neener likes this.
  18. getbent

getbent Telefied Silver Supporter

we watch commercials sometimes... Hulu takes most of the me out (we pay for that) but not all channels...

gotta say, I love the commercial where they make ice cream sundaes... whomp there it is.. chocolatta chocolatta....

The medical ones are fun with the side effects (may result in a rash on your perineum?) SIGN ME UP!

John Backlund likes this.
  19. DougM

I agree, but the majority of the commercials are from the networks, not the cable operators. I'm pretty sure the cable companies have to pay the networks to carry their channels. Occasionally a channel will get dropped because they can't come to an agreement after their current contract expires.

20. John Backlund

John Backlund Poster Extraordinaire Gold Supporter

No. I can't remember the last time I watched a movie on network television. We only watch streamed movies. We don't have cable either.

The only network show we might watch at all, or often just part of, is Wheel Of Fortune, and that's only because it comes on right after the national and local news and we are too lazy to switch over to Netflix right away.

We have one television, and it's never on before 5:00PM, when we settle down to be depressed for the next hour with the daily newscast.

When we do watch the news and a commercial comes on, I'm like a champion trapshooter with the mute button. We've seen certain repetitive for commercials for years, but have never actually heard them.

Last edited: Jan 18, 2021
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.