1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Do you want all your guitars to feel the same?

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by Digiplay, Nov 28, 2020.

1. Digiplay

Digiplay Tele-Afflicted

My best friend has been playing guitar for over 50 years, so who am I to question him on anything, but he brought up a subject that makes NO sense to me :)

He owns a lot of guitars, but his main go to guitars are:

1) 2015 American Deluxe Telecaster.
    2) 2017 Duesenberg Starplayer TV.
    3) 2008 Custom Shop Stratocaster.
    4) PRS Custom 24.
    5) Les Paul '59 Reissue.

If it matters, I believe he uses 9's on the Fenders, and 10's on the rest.

So he's trying a 2018 Nash T-52, and he says it's as good a sounding guitar as he's ever owned, so good sounding that he says he might not have to buy a SG '61 Reissue.

But...........................................................................................................................

He says when he plays it he has to work it harder than his other guitars because of the neck (a 10" radius/21 frets), and as it's set up with 10's, it doesn't feel like his American Deluxe Telecaster and Strat feel, and he's worried that he won't be able to have it set up to feel the way his he likes all his guitars to be set up, specifically, all set up to feel the same way.

So here is where my ignorance sets in :)

I would think that none of his go to guitars have the same neck, fret size, neck radius, profile, fingerboard material, etc.

So how can you set up a Telecaster to feel like a Les Paul any easier than you could set up a Les Paul to feel like a Strat, much less set up to feel like a PRS?

And................................................................................................................................

Is that a bad thing to have to "work harder" to play a Telecaster differently than, say a Duesenberg plays?

What am I missing here guys?

String Tree likes this.
  2. medownsouth

medownsouth Tele-Holic Gold Supporter

I know you know this. Its a tension instrument. Fretboard length, fret intervals, bridge adjustability, radius, gauges of strings all factor into it. Now, take that mix it up w/ different manufacturer standards, and tolerances - you have a ball game. 2 fender guitars, I suspect, can be set up fairly closely - especially modern Fenders. A good tech can overcome most of this.

Brett Valentine and Cali Dude like this.
  3. Cheap Trills

Cheap Trills Tele-Holic Silver Supporter

A strat will never feel like a LP, but you can make some things similar like string tension, height... I think if you can, you should. i would. You play long enough, you find what you like

Cali Dude and Digiplay like this.
  4. 24 track

24 track Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

I can truthfully say I dont want all my 22 guitars to be set up the same if that were the case I could sell them all and keep one , its the feel that keeps me wanting to choose what guitar to play to move my sound into a different genre .

5. Thoughtfree

Thoughtfree Tele-Meister Silver Supporter

I want them to all feel different and look different from one another. It's more fun that way.

6. Digiplay

Digiplay Tele-Afflicted

But that wasn't really my question medownsouth.

I have no doubt that 2 Fenders can be set up fairly closely, but he says all his guitars are set up the same, and hence they all play pretty much the same.

Now I interpret that as saying that his Les Paul feels like his Telecaster, but regardless, would you be afraid that the Nash couldn't be set up to feel the same as his Tele (that feels like his Strat/PRS/Duesenberg/Les Paul)?

7. El Tele Lobo

El Tele Lobo Poster Extraordinaire

He's probably talking generally about feel...and more specifically about setup...and most specifically about tension and action. Tell him he just needs to experiment with some different string gauges for that guitar.

My teles all have the same generally "feel" action-wise...even though I have C, U, and V-shaped necks, frets ranging from vintage to medium jumbo and radii ranging rom 7.25" to 9/5". Plus, one tele has 12's on it for jazz. The others all have 10s.

StrangerNY and Digiplay like this.
  8. El Tele Lobo

El Tele Lobo Poster Extraordinaire

Ok..I get you. Yeah...not sure what he's expecting. A Lester is never going to feel like a Strat or a Tele. They're different animals...but I thought that was the point?

Bob M and Digiplay like this.
  9. Dismalhead

Dismalhead Poster Extraordinaire

No. I want them all to feel different, to sound different, look different. They all fall into four general body types - Teles, Strats, SGs, and Les Paul Specials, but they're all different colors and configurations. Now that I think about it I'm pretty sure none of them have the same pickups.

10. Richie Cunningham

Richie Cunningham Tele-Holic

I have eighteen guitars, and the point is for them to be different — in sound, feel, and looks. Every time I play one of my guitars, it’s a vacation from all the others.

11. JL_LI

JL_LI Friend of Leo's

I set up guitars for what I want to do with them. With a Telecaster, two Stratocasters, an Annie, an SG, and a S&P acoustic, no two are alike. I use 11’s on the Tele and 10’s on both Strats. I use 11’s on the Annie and 10’s on the SG. I keep action low and keep the strings away from the edge of the fretboard. All feel good to me but all feel different. That used to bother me but now I just play them. They’re set up to play easily and sound great. Six different guitars can never all be alike.

12. Digiplay

Digiplay Tele-Afflicted

EVERY response make PERFECT sense guys!

Since all his main guitars have different shaped necks, radii, and different size frets, perhaps it's as simple as he's used to 9's on his Fenders, and because the Nash has 10's on it, that's what's making it harder to play than his Fender's.

El Tele Lobo likes this.
  13. David Meiland

David Meiland Tele-Meister Silver Supporter

I've gotten all of mine to where the action is close to the same, but the neck shapes and radii are different and they do not feel the same, not to mention the different body shapes make the overall ergonomics different.

Bill and Digiplay like this.
  14. Digiplay

Digiplay Tele-Afflicted

So what's the point David of getting the action of all your guitars close to the same when they do not feel the same, and in turn would probably not play the same?

15. notroHnhoJ

notroHnhoJ Tele-Meister

I can go with the flow with setting up a guitar so that it feels good and not necessarily force a particular string gauge or action on a guitar. I think the guitar ultimately ends up playing better. Responding better, maybe might be more accurate. I get wanting everything to feel
    the same, though.

16. medownsouth

medownsouth Tele-Holic Gold Supporter

not exactly, but yes a good tech should be able to approximate feel across a variety of like instruments (meaning electrics), and overcome issues like its playing stiff around the nut, or up and down the board, etc...

17. gregulator450

gregulator450 Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

Sounds like he's going for consistent string tension from one guitar to another. I kind of do that with my guitars right now: I have an SG with 10-52's, a strat type with 9-48's, and an Ibanez 8-string with a 27" scale length, on which I match the tension to the equivalent of a 10-46 across the strings.

The guitars all play differently, obviously, but having similar feeling tension from one to the next seems to make switching from one to another feel more consistent. Then again, it could be purely psychological.

Brett Valentine likes this.
  18. zeke54

zeke54 Tele-Afflicted Silver Supporter

I totally agree ! When I get out a guitar I haven't played in 4 or 5 months it's like I got a new guitar , feel-wise and tone-wise . I would never want them all to feel the same, no fun there !!

Richie Cunningham likes this.
  19. Fiesta Red

Fiesta Red Poster Extraordinaire

Nope.

Different feel makes for different playing technique which makes for different sounds for different songs.

DOC DYA likes this.
  20. USian Pie

USian Pie Tele-Meister

I find heavier strings help right hand accuracy and articulation. The cost is less pronounced vibrato and less "character" in how I sound with them.

The ones with lighter strings work for difficult fingerings and wider bends. They also get played when I'm playing more and my left hand/arm/shoulder start to fatigue. The downside is some right-hand stuff doesn't sound as clean and there's less "punch" in the sound.

I pulled out a ruler one day and found all my "good feeling" guitars were very similar in action height and neck relief. It didn't matter what scale length they were or what string gauge was on them. Once I tweaked the "not as good feeling" guitars the same way, lo and behold they felt good, too.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.