1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Do you volunteer for your community ?

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by Anita Bonghit, Jul 7, 2019.

1. Anita Bonghit

Anita Bonghit Tele-Meister

So here I am pushing 68 years old, retired 5 years ago. Spent the first year sitting on the deck working on my savage tan when my wife told me to get out there and Do Something ( besides play guitar). She felt I was gonna waste away to nothing and grow much older quicker than I should. So I went and volunteered at a Colorado Welcome Center (1 of 10 in Colorado) I work 2 four hour shifts a week and absolutely love it. Basically it is a place that travelers stop in to get directions, advice and information about our area.We have a major National Park right up the road and we draw lots of people from all over the world. It is very satisfying to help people and I feel like I have saved peoples vacation when they are unprepared or have no idea what to do in the area. I see a lot of folks that come in and want to kill their travel companion that they've been roadtripping partner for the last month, you can really see it. My personal goal is get things back to normal with laughter, good advice and love. Nothing makes me happier than to see couples walking out hand in hand and laughing instead of wanting to kill each other as when they walked in.
    So just wondering how many volunteer for their community, what do you do, what does it do for you?
    I've got some great stories and memories. Theres the one where the crazy guy wanted to cash a 25 million dollar check, but I'll tell you that one another day.

1955, richiek65, imwjl and 12 others like this.
  2. Sparky2

Sparky2 Friend of Leo's

That's a great story, Colorado.

I'm pushing 60, and still just a couple years away from retiring.

I go downtown to bring food and clothing to the homeless, about every month and a half or so.
    And I'll go play oldies at a local retirement home.

Occasionally I will pick up litter on the side of the local roads, and I care for a spring fed creek and a piece of protected wetland on the back side of my property.

That's about it.
    :)

1955, telemnemonics, Toadtele and 6 others like this.
  3. joealso

joealso Tele-Holic

My wife and I both volunteer for Habitat for Humanity builds. We've done landscaping, painting, helped with hanging drywall ... it's a good organization and we enjoy helping.

1955, telemnemonics, Toadtele and 6 others like this.
  4. Coop47

Coop47 Poster Extraordinaire

For maybe 15 years, I've done a monthly bottle and can drive with my dad. We drive a route and pick up the bags that people leave out for us. The thing I most get out of it is that it ensures we spend some time together at least monthly.

1955, Toadtele, L.A. Mike and 2 others like this.
  5. alnico357

alnico357 Tele-Afflicted

I've been a reserve deputy sheriff for 24 years.

1955, joealso, Toadtele and 4 others like this.
  6. Old Deaf Roadie

Old Deaf Roadie Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

I am a HAM radio operator. I participate in disaster relief. I also assist with the Oregon Fallen Badge Foundation. We bury cops & firefighters who have fallen in the line. Toughest gig ever.

1955, telemnemonics, Toadtele and 5 others like this.
  7. Obsessed

Obsessed Telefied Silver Supporter

I am helping restore and turning a stunning 1910 railroad town schoolhouse into a local visitor and art center. I'm also putting in hundreds of hours into one of their exhibits. It is a very rewarding venture while working with other volunteers and meeting lots of people interested in preserving local history. My wife is involved with the project too, so it is a major part of our lives right now.

1955, joealso, telemnemonics and 4 others like this.
  8. bftfender

bftfender Poster Extraordinaire

Before the accident. We were part of non profit org. That goes into the inner cities, with a food truck & clothing truck. 4 bands & some outreach with the local org's at tables with abilities to talk to people & get them to help. pretty freaking cool to see a whole bunch of people who would would walk the other way from eachother on the street..team up & really care. It has blown up to my buddy has been given access to a huge building & it is filled with clothes. On sat..people shpw up..there is a line for men & women. You get a pair of shoes-jacket, socks,underwear, . I miss it so much..it is way more rewarding than a check at end of night for playing. Here is Manhattan 2016 & my view of Philly from Camden off stage at City hall during sound check Manhattan-20160917-01018.jpg Camden-20160730-00945.jpg

9. LeicaBoss

LeicaBoss Tele-Holic

My business provides a lot of new, clean and comfortable mattresses and pillows for people and families who can't afford them.

1955, joealso, Stringbanger and 5 others like this.
  10. gitold

gitold Poster Extraordinaire

Since I retired 2 years ago I’ve been doing Meal on Wheels twice a week. I was surprised that I was one of the youngest volunteers. Between the over 70s delivering and the over 80s we are delivering to I feel like a youngster. It can be sad because your constantly losing folks and getting new ones but the people really appreciate what your doing for them.

1955, joealso, Stringbanger and 4 others like this.
  11. L.A. Mike

L.A. Mike Tele-Afflicted

somewhere over a rainbow (Ex-L.A. resident)
    My first volunteer work (not community) was the 2 hitches I did in the Peace Corp back in the 70s. The first one was in Honduras where we dug community wells, installed the pumping stations, helped locals hook up to the public water supply, and also taught people the proper way to build septic tanks. That was the biggest challenge.
    That was so rewarding I signed up again and was sent to a village near Kathmandu, Nepal. After a severe training regiment at high altitudes, I arrived to help with rain water preservation systems. They don't get rain for 6 months a year and had only very primitive, dirty public water reservoirs. So, we built roof gutter systems out of bamboo and pipes and supplied the locals with big barrels to store the water in. Unfortunately I got an intestinal parasite that didn't respond to oral antibiotics. So, I ended up in a hospital in London for treatment, then was sent home since I was too weak to complete my mission.

Since I retired I am involved with Guitars for Vets. I have a small group that I give lessons to and try to procure instruments for the organization.
    My buddy (another guitarist/singer) and I go to different convalescent homes and entertain the residents. Sing alongs are very popular. It's amazing how many people still remember music and words from songs of their youth, yet have trouble remembering most other things from their past. Many of their family members try to be there when we are so they can enjoy seeing their loved ones having a moment of clarity.

1955, joealso, Stringbanger and 5 others like this.
  12. Tommy Biggs

Tommy Biggs Friend of Leo's

I tutor English and Basic Literacy, and I took a Master Gardener class and volunteer in a bunch of local parks.

It's nice to work outside - but not have to if it's super hot or cold, pouring rain, etc...

I will say the volunteer community is full of nice people.

13. Telecaster88

Telecaster88 Tele-Afflicted

I do election work for my local precinct. Involves registering new voters or updating voter logs. I'm fifty and usually by far the youngest volunteer, so I worry a bit about how they're gonna get younger people in there when the current crew moves on.

1955, joealso, telemnemonics and 3 others like this.
  14. P-Nutz

P-Nutz Tele-Afflicted Silver Supporter

Ms. Nutz and I volunteer annually at one of our huge music festivals, but sadly that’s about it ... maybe more upon retirement ...

15. Toadtele

Toadtele Tele-Afflicted

I have a soft spot for elderly folk because my grandparents saved me at a young age. So I do yardwork for older folks in my hood. Often clandestine.
    Years ago I noticed an old cowboy down the street struggling to get his yard mowed. Then he just stopped mowing it. He always kept a beautiful yard so I figured it bothered him. So I mowed it a couple times. He never came out but one day my son was walking home from school and the old boy said “tell your dad it’s nice of him but I don’t need him mowing my yard. I can do it my damn self”. So I stopped and it got real bad over there so I started mowing it early Sunday’s when he went to church. Did that the rest of the year.
    The next spring I saw the community van drive away from his house early Sunday so I headed over. Well he wasn’t feeling well and had stayed home. I was about half done when he comes out in nothing but jeans and his cowboy hat (the only time he took it off was for church, he was the real deal). Anyway he says “******* it. Are you gonna embarrass me again all summer?” I said “look, if you really don’t want me to do it I won’t. But I don’t mind doing it if you’ll let me “. So he asked if I liked fresh vegetables. Yes I do. He said “ I can’t mow anymore but I can still garden. You mow my lawn. I’ll keep you stocked up on veggies.” Well that was a deal!
    He died three days later.

1955, Tommy Biggs, joealso and 8 others like this.
  16. Deaf Eddie

Deaf Eddie Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

After I retired, the wife and I did Meals on Wheels for a few years before we relocated to a small mountain community (population under 4,000 - our retirement dream!) that didn't have that service. A few folks up here tried to get an outreach for older folks going, but it kind of fizzled out. We "kept" a couple of our "clients" from that, strictly as an informal deal, doing grocery runs and such as needed. I'll admit it's all my wife's doing, or I'd be up in loft all the time, tinkering with the guitars...

1955, Tommy Biggs, joealso and 4 others like this.
  17. rangercaster

rangercaster Poster Extraordinaire

We are all beneficiaries of a wonderful society ... And we should give back when we can ...

18. dkmw

dkmw Poster Extraordinaire

Well said.

I have volunteered with several conservation groups over the years. Ended up with some paying gigs from them too - which was great because I got to organize and promote volunteer efforts, plus go to lots of government meetings from the local level all the way to DC.

1955, Anita Bonghit and Obsessed like this.
  19. Bones

Bones Telefied Ad Free Member

I did for 20 years, but not anymore.

Did marine mammal and sea turtle rescue and rehabilitation.

10896932_10205128416827488_7075697425483789108_n.jpg

20. Stringbanger

Stringbanger Telefied Ad Free Member

When I was a teenager, I was a volunteer fireman. Not much since then. My work is intense in the spring, summer, and fall, so I have little time to play guitar yet volunteer.

Add to that equation trying to keep up with yard work and property maintenance. I’m still not caught up. Weeds to pull, mulch to put down. It seems that I am always behind. I also do most of the inside chores. Washing clothes, folding clothes, dishwasher duty, putting dishes away. My wife suffers from bouts of depression, but at least she cooks. She hired a kid to mow, so I’m off the hook there. At times it seems overwhelming, but I have the right disposition to suck it up. You eat an elephant a bite at a time!

I’m glad you are picking up my slack! I know there are quite a few self-absorbed individuals, who could give two hoots about anyone else. I’m a few years from retirement, and that’s when I will step up.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.