Do you use your phase switch?

Do you use your phase switch?

• Yes

Votes: 16 35.6%
  • No

Votes: 5 11.1%
  • Don't have one but would use it if I did.

Votes: 2 4.4%
  • Don't have one but might use it if I did.

Votes: 9 20.0%
  • Don't have one and don't want one.

Votes: 13 28.9%

• Total voters

Bruxist

Friend of Leo's
Silver Supporter
Do you use out-of-phase sounds if you have them installed in your tele?

Am thinking of putting a phase switch in a HS tele build but trying to decide if it is worth it.

Thanks for your input!

drmordo

Friend of Leo's
They cut the volume quite a bit so are not terribly useful unless you play pretty distorted or with a compressor.

That said, I voted yes because I do use the switches on my Burns Red Special quite a bit. I wouldn't use it on a Tele.

JL_LI

Poster Extraordinaire
I have an S1 switch that lets me put my pickups in series. That’s where my best jazz tone lies. I once wired pickups out of phase by accident and didn’t like the sound at all.

SixStringSlinger

Poster Extraordinaire
I have an S1 switch that lets me put my pickups in series. That’s where my best jazz tone lies. I once wired pickups out of phase by accident and didn’t like the sound at all.

Same here. I accidentally wired my Jazzmaster OOP (pickups from 2 different manufacturers) and I hated it. On a Tele I'd go for a series mod if anything.

That said, some people like it. It's easy enough to try out, just flip the leads on one of your pickups.

EDIT: Just noticed yours is an HS Tele. In that case I'd look into series/parallel switching for the humbucker. Decreases the "oomph" like coil-splitting, but a better sound IMO and without as much output loss.

Bruxist

Friend of Leo's
Silver Supporter
EDIT: Just noticed yours is an HS Tele. In that case I'd look into series/parallel switching for the humbucker. Decreases the "oomph" like coil-splitting, but a better sound IMO and without as much output loss.

That was what I was thinking of doing instead.

chris m.

Doctor of Teleocity
I agree that wiring for parallel/series makes more sense in an HS configuration.

The out of phase, thin, nasal tone can sometimes work well as the input signal to help focus a heavy fuzz. So if you're a big time fuzz dude then it might be worth checking out.

Lawdawg

Friend of Leo's
I've got the S1 phase switch on my Baja Tele and definitely use it, primarily in conjunction with the bridge+neck in series setting. It's not an everyday tone, but is certainly useful especially for funk and rhythm playing.

LOSTVENTURE

Friend of Leo's
I've got the S1 phase switch on my Baja Tele and definitely use it, primarily in conjunction with the bridge+neck in series setting. It's not an everyday tone, but is certainly useful especially for funk and rhythm playing.
I use the S1 on my Baja rather frequently. In fact, it's the first of my Teles that I didn't have to add the phase switch to.

Rustbucket

Poster Extraordinaire
My ‘74 Guild has one, as most of the mid-70’s Guild solidbodies did. It does make the HB-1 pickups sound more nasally and quieter as mentioned above.

What’s interesting is the volume does get louder if you roll back the neck pickup a bit when out of phase. It’s probably something to do with the combination of the two signal wavelengths.

image.jpg

Rich_S

Poster Extraordinaire
Silver Supporter
I have one on my HH "PT" Tele (push/pull on the upper pot) and use it occasionally. It's good for some snarky Page tones. I can control the snark to some degree because it has two volume controls.

8wsqzW7.jpg

I suspect on a "real" Tele, parallel out-of-phase would be too shrill. Series out-of-phase might do the Brian May thing, sort of.

Billy3

Tele-Holic
I love half oop in parallel on my SS Tele. Not so much in series. Regular oop on my HH is pretty cool. I also have a mini toggle for each pup. Parallel, split, Series. Lots of goods.

Lawdawg

Friend of Leo's
I use the S1 on my Baja rather frequently. In fact, it's the first of my Teles that I didn't have to add the phase switch to.

I love the Baja wiring scheme (4 way switch + phase switch) and think it's perfect for a Tele. With 6 useful and very different tones it's about as close to a 'do it all' guitar as you can get. If I ever get another Tele, I'm definitely going to wire it the same way.

mr natural

Friend of Leo's
Got a phase switch installed when I got my Tele modded because why not? It was cheap. The way I use it is when playing with others. I use OOP as my base rhythm tone. Sounds thin on its own but sits really well in a busy mix especially if you have a keyboardist. Great for funk and reggae and the dreaded dance music. Turn up the amp to compensate for the volume drop. Then you can use the pickup switch as 2 different flavors of “boost” for leads depending on which individual pickup you switch to.

Last edited:

Chiogtr4x

Doctor of Teleocity
Silver Supporter
I don't have one in my Epi SG...

( a 2018 with PAF style/spec humbuckers and coil taps on each Volume knob)

... but would LOVE an out-of-phase option wired to one of the Tone knobs.
Perfect addition for someone like me that plays ( relatively) clean blues, funk, and old Country stuff.

Someday!

urbandefault

Tele-Holic
I've tried several times on several different guitars and I just don't like the nasal sound. And I really don't get why other people like it. :confused:

But hey, LLAP. :)

brookdalebill

Tele Axpert
Ad Free Member
Yup!
I have phase switches on four guitars.
Three of those four guitars are my workhorses.
I use the phase switch on Third Rate Romance, My Girl, Her Name Is, and Christmas in Dixie.
It’s a goofy tone, but I enjoy using it on the aforementioned tunes.
My new-to-me Hohner L59 is getting a phase switch, and pickup swap soon.