Do You Use The Pick-Up Types Of Your Influences...

Discussion in 'Just Pickups' started by DAKnox, Jun 4, 2021.

1. DAKnox

DAKnox Tele-Meister

Well I don't think I'm alone in playing a full night of HB/SC/P90 songs all on a SC Tele! The thing is if I did think this is a Les Paul song, I better grab a Les Paul for this, I probably wouldn't play it as well as I could on a Tele. I think that's most important - to feel comfortable with the guitar above all else.

With the band I'm in just now we do play quite a variety of bands, but we play them with our own energy/vibe. The feeling we have is almost, this is our set of songs and they all sound like us. In reality - not quite as they are all covers but the feeling we have is to play them with our own personality and still as a tribute to the original. So I've never swapped guitars during a set really.

black_doug and JL_LI like this.
  2. alnico357

alnico357 Tele-Afflicted

I definitely try to appropriate licks and techniques from guitarists I like, but the guitar, amp, or PUs they use mean nothing to me. I play the equipment I like. I am a humbucker guy with a P90 fondness.

3. mkdaws32

mkdaws32 Friend of Leo's Gold Supporter

I tried that once in the 80s - A Seymour Duncan Invader because I heard Randy Rhoads used one in some guitar (may or may not have been true) - worst humbucker I ever had and that was in my "high gain" days. I never liked the Super Distortion, but a lot of the guys I looked up to used them. But the Tone Zone blew my mind and I used that because I wanted try it based on Dimarzio's description. I used those for years. Now I am more evolved (for better or worse) and prefer single coils across the board. Now it's all about "my" tone and not duplicating someone else's.

4. ReverendRevolver

ReverendRevolver Friend of Leo's

No.

I probably gravitated towards offsets and away from strats because I hated having the most common or popular anything, and I'd see grunge and alt rock people using offsets. Even punks, I first saw Agent Orange opening for the misfits, slinging a jazzmaster.

But pickups were about best sound with widest range of use in what I was doing. So the toronado got 57 classics and that was that. I technically got my tele while on a huge social d kick, and even through a 68 bassman, it didn't sound the same. But that was the point, sounding how I wanted and experimenting instead of just copying.

But I was probably still imitating my influences in a sense by not copying, because it always looked to me like they always mixed thier various influences and added thier own stuff to it.

5. black_doug

black_doug Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

I’ve never thought in those terms. So I’ve never bought pickups because of my influences.

darkwaters likes this.
  6. Controller

Controller Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

No, I have a hard enough time narrowing down what I like and why to bother imitating someone else. If someone reviews a pickup and hates it there's a better than even chance i will like it. Conversely, I do not tend to like concensus favorites, like the Baja pickups.

YouTube demos of pickups do not seem to help at all. They do what they do, not what I do.

7. cousinpaul

cousinpaul Friend of Leo's

In general, I like 50's style single-coils into a tweed amp but I was looking for a little hotter bridge pickup for my strat. I wound up borrowing an idea from EJ and installing a Dimarzio HS-2, wired as a single coil, in the bridge position. Combined with Fender '54 pickups for the neck and bridge, it's exactly what I was looking for and I find myself spending a lot more time on the bridge position.

So, in this one instance, I'd have to say yes. Also, I've got more influences than you can shake a stick at who played 50's Fenders. I guess I'm busted there as well.

8. northernguitar

northernguitar Friend of Leo's

For Hard Rock and early Metal tones, I still like to use my humbucker or P90 guitars. However, Led Zeppelin I is an album that helped define what heavy Rock would sound like. Pagey sounds pretty damned heavy on that Tele.

9. stormsedge

stormsedge Poster Extraordinaire

I always end up sounding like "me";).

PCollen likes this.
  10. Jim622

Jim622 Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

I actually pay attention to the members on here more. Thank you all for your assistance. I don’t believe paying attention to artist gear can make me sound like them, there are way to many variables.

11. paulblackford

paulblackford Tele-Afflicted

I always base my pickup choices on trusted reviews, but I base the ones I keep on what I can't stop playing. I gravitate toward single coil, and p90 types because I don't use much gain. For some reason, playing clean, I've rarely been inspired by humbuckers, regardless of who uses them. I generally don't follow what recording artists are using, as I know I'm not going to have their rig, and thus their sound. Whatever keeps me plinking away is a keeper.

12. D_Malone

D_Malone Tele-Holic

I really like Filter’Trons (TV Jones, specifically) in a solid body guitar and, with the exception of Malcolm Young, none of the guitarists who have influenced me over the years use them.

donnyrocker likes this.
  13. Ronzo

Ronzo Tele-Afflicted

Personally, I feel the word “influences” has been much overused among musicians. I am “influenced” by every style I’ve heard and enjoyed. That has changed/evolved over a long time now. I’ve always been interested in how an artist I’ve heard and enjoyed got a particular sound. Once I understood that, and practiced it until I could reproduce it, that sound and style went into the toolbox, to be used when needed.

Earlier in my life, I excluded too much music from my toolbox because I didn’t understand it - more likely, it didn’t appeal to me at the time. Country was a good example. I’d closed myself off to it. Living in and around NYC, that was easy to do. Since I moved to South Florida 24 years ago, and have a different group of friends and fellow musicians, I’ve become much more open to different styles. I appreciate good songs and good sounds, regardless of my previous prejudices. Even as my skills erode as I age and I’m physically unable to do some of what was easy before, I think - and hope - I’m a better musician for stepping out of the box of my previous “influences”.

Chicago Matt likes this.
  14. Cosmic Cowboy

Cosmic Cowboy Tele-Holic

I play bunches of Grateful Dead on tele. Sometimes I wonder if Jerry's tone woulda been more paleteable if he played a tele cause it really works perfect.

15. Obsessed

Obsessed Telefied Silver Supporter

For me it is a definite "yes" for many years. Copping covers was how I learned and grew in the guitar playing world. Trying to get their sound on a tight budget was how I learned to listen and adjust effects accordingly. I don't think I do it now ... at least not consciously, but many of those sounds of my guitar heroes are still my favorite sounds.

Blackmore Fan likes this.
  16. 4 Cat Slim

4 Cat Slim Friend of Leo's

In a word, no.

I enjoy the music of many players who played Gretsch guitars.
    I have not been able to find a Gretsch that was either affordable or
    that I am pleased with its general playability, so that particular
    SuperTron or FilterTron sound is not something I can achieve.

17. 11 Gauge

11 Gauge Doctor of Teleocity

I must be weird, because I've never been able to cop textbook sounds using specific recipes for pickups and guitars. My brain and fingers just seem to make the sounds come out differently.

Going back to my first replacement pickups, it honestly was an attempt to try to get more of X, and less of Y, and so on.

I figured out pretty early on that I'm simply a single coil guy, for most situations, regardless of what was used for any given song. I just seem to always have a need for a specific amount of treble, and I just happened to have the best luck getting that with Strat or Tele pickups.

So now all of these years later, I basically have methods to fine-tune for the last 15% of sonics that just an off-the-shelf single coil might not really have. In my case that's typically just pickups with alnico 2 or alnico 3 magnets, and maybe just a bit of a hotter wind for the bridge pickup only. I pretty much just end up playing everything with my Teles, Esquires, and Strats for that.

DAKnox and Blackmore Fan like this.
  18. nobis17

nobis17 Tele-Meister Silver Supporter

I really do want to get a Gretsch with the TV Jones Brian Setzer signature pups...

19. Blackmore Fan

Blackmore Fan Tele-Afflicted

Exactly. The tones in my head include lush cleans and variations of them that are easy to get with overdrive and distortion pedals. So I start with "vintage" Strat single coils. I know that I can always add pedals for "heat", but there isn't really a pedal that adds cleans to hot pickups.

Cali Dude likes this.
  20. Muadzin

Muadzin Tele-Meister

Because I was in a Radiohead tribute band I started to use a lot of Lace Sensor pickups. Especially the blue sensor as a neck pickup and the red/red dually as a bridge humbucker, as those are on Jonny Greenwood's Tele. Add a silver sensor for a middle pickup for on Strats. Also Ed O'Brien got me into installing Sustainers in my guitars.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.