Do you use an ART tube mic preamp?

black_doug

Friend of Leo's
Silver Supporter
I'm not impressed with this model but the higher priced product from ART is very good, professional quality.

I've got a Tube Channel. It's a good DI for my acoustic guitar. FWIW, I heard Terry Brown say he uses it in his studio.

tube_channel4.jpeg

Last edited:

Esquire Jones

Tele-Meister
Interesting. So you just go bass-to-ART-to-interface without any other amp or preamp?

Well, I used it both ways. Sometimes just bass into the ART unit then into interface. Sort of basic, round, thumpy tone that works in some cases.

The unit has two outputs (one 1/4", the other XLR) so you can use it just like a traditional DI. One output to the interface, the other to a mic'd amp.
Even a guitar amp works for this type of setup. It just captures the grit, while the direct signal has more low end.

DADGAD

Friend of Leo's
I have a few Art tube mic preamps. They are used as DI boxes and for tube overdrives. Change the 12AX7 to an old 12AU7. A 12AU7 has excellent linearity at the low voltages that the preamp operates at. Old 12AU7 tubes are cheap and plentiful. An RCA clear top is the cream of the crop in the ART tube pre.

VintageSG

Poster Extraordinaire
Silver Supporter
I have one, and the Behringer 'tribute'.
I use them between my mixer and my D.I boxes to give some oomph and provide phantom power. The stock valves on both were replaced with 12AU7 to great effect. I find that, to my ears, they interact really well with the D.I via the XLR connector.

Attachments

• art Tube Pre M3 sch.pdf
    54.9 KB · Views: 24
  • art Tube Pre M3 sch.pdf
    54.9 KB · Views: 32

lammie200

Friend of Leo's
open it up and replace the 12ax7 it will rejuvenate the unit

I have read that the tube on the unit that I have is soldered into the circuit not in a socket pin base. I don't need the unit any more. I am gong to sell it.

I stand corrected. There are a couple of videos that I have seen that show a tube socket.

Last edited:

24 track

Doctor of Teleocity
Ad Free Member
I have one, and the Behringer 'tribute'.
I use them between my mixer and my D.I boxes to give some oomph and provide phantom power. The stock valves on both were replaced with 12AU7 to great effect. I find that, to my ears, they interact really well with the D.I via the XLR connector.
thanks for the schematics ,I didnot have one for these.

scottser

Friend of Leo's
I have 3 of them, I've had them for about 10 yeas now. I use them for our rehearsal pa hooked up to an aux send, we call them 'embigulators' as they give the signal nice warmth and depth. Good for recording too, they give a nice, fat signal in.

chulaivet1966

Friend of Leo's
Someone gave me an ART Professional Mic Preamp, and I don't know what to do with it.

Howdy Charlie....

That brings back lots of memories.
I bought one back in the late 90's.
I used it for vocals only....it worked fine for my vocal tracking.
I still have it but now stored in a crate in my studio rabbit hole.
I have phantom power on my mixer also.

Have a great day....