1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Do you use a humidifier in all your acoustics?

Discussion in 'Acoustic Heaven' started by Telefan33, Oct 13, 2020.

1. EnglishPete

EnglishPete TDPRI Member

Doesn't the answer to this depend entirely upon individual circumstances? Yes, I can imagine that people in (say) the Mid-West or SW USA would need humidifiers. But I live in England where we do not have really extremes of temperature or humidity. In 40 years I have lived with the maxim that 'if you are comfortable, then so are your guitars'. We don't have aircon, or have the heat turned up high; and my guitars seem to like it that way. Some people in some parts of the world might NEED humidifiers, but I do not think that they are an absolute must-have for everyone.

2. Terrytown

Terrytown TDPRI Member Silver Supporter

I inherited my mothers family guitar (1937 Kalamazoo KG-21 series). It spent its life in Northern Minnesota with exceptionally dry and cold winters. The string tension had pulled the bridge off and arched the top, the dry winter heat had released the glue on the top leaving a huge gap half way around the guitar, and the top was seriously warped from the storage while under string tension. A humidifier could have prevented all of this.

A Eugene, Oregon Luthier, Dennis Berck who is absolutely magic with acoustic guitars, completely restored the guitar. We left the finish and family dings and dents from six siblings learning how to play guitar as a testament to its family heritage. All this work and expense could have been prevented with the aid of a humidifier. It now resides in Portland, Oregon where we have plenty of moisture summer and winter to contend with and humidity is no longer a factor.

3. Southpa

Southpa TDPRI Member

I'm in west coast BC so dryness is not really a problem. Its more the other way around so I keep a packet of silica-gel desiccant in all my acoustic cases. They throw them away at work so what the hey, the price is right. :) But our climate on Vancouver Island doesn't have the extremes in temp and humidity like elsewhere. I've only had to tweak the truss rod a little on a few of my guitars but nothing very serious. I built an O-28 style acoustic for a friend in Ontario a few years ago. He received it in summer so no problems. As soon as winter set in, that cold dry extreme, the guitar started cracking in a few places and slightly buzzing on some frets. Still playable but not like I built it. The wood the guitar is made from is all local to me (maple back and sides / spruce top), it grew here and was acclimated to our moderate maritime environment.

4. DougM

DougM Poster Extraordinaire

If anyone here in Hawaii used a humidifier then their action would be so high they could only play slide.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.