1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Do you use a humidifier in all your acoustics?

Discussion in 'Acoustic Heaven' started by Telefan33, Oct 13, 2020.

1. Freeman Keller

Freeman Keller Poster Extraordinaire

Yes, take a paper punch or ice pick or walk on it with crampons or golf shoes - put a whole bunch of little holes in the baggie. Wet the sponge and wring it out - it usually stays damp for up to a week inside the case. For normal guitars I just put the baggie in the headstock area of the case, for extremely dry guitars I put it inside (and a second one at the headstock).

It is pretty hard to over humidify unless you live in one of those areas that people have mentioned where it is over 50 percent INSIDE. For most of us the problem is winter when we heat our homes.

Greggorios likes this.
  2. ping-ping-clicka

ping-ping-clicka Friend of Leo's Ad Free Member

nah my only acoustic was a National Duophonic Steel body , a humidifier was not at all needed , now some navel jelly or Rustoleum , the seemed to be the ticket

3. jumpbluesdude

jumpbluesdude TDPRI Member

I did the exact same thing! I keep it in the area behind the headstock in the case. It was super cheap(like $3) and works as good as any product out there like it.

FenderGuy53 likes this.
  4. harpdog

harpdog Tele-Holic Silver Supporter

All except my Rainsong and an all HPL Martin. During the months with an “r”. Last winter a tech told me to hydrate even the electrics...

5. Esquier

Esquier TDPRI Member

Mine stays in the box for 5 years at a time

6. Recce

Recce Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

I keep one room humidified and keep my guitars in that room. If I feel any problems with my acoustic, I only have one, I put it in the case with humidipaks.

Greggorios likes this.
  7. Pickaxe

Pickaxe TDPRI Member

Hi Freeman, I just bought a D28 Ambertone and after reading this thread I'm worried about it cracking, do you have pinholes in the plastic bag? or just leave the top of the bag open?
    would appreciate your advice

8. croth

croth TDPRI Member

You cannot beat this system if you're concerned about humidifying your guitars. They're worth the extra investment. I keep the room where I keep my guitars, humidified with quality room humidifiers (Venta is an expensive but very effective way to go - no steam with particles and self-adjusting to the correct humidity range based on its design) but when I travel with my guitar(s), these Humidipaks go in the case (for full disclosure, I actually use the original Boveda system, but I believe they're the same idea). Keep in mind that these work both ways: they reduce the humidity if it's too high and increase it when it's too low - no other system does that.

Boil and Greggorios like this.
  9. Freeman Keller

A bunch of little holes - I answered this in #61. Congratulations on a great guitar.

10. bigjohnbates

bigjohnbates TDPRI Member

I live on a boat - de-humidifier for my guitar room ...

11. Tele Plucker

Tele Plucker Tele-Meister

3428D838-8C74-41DF-A7F5-78D7F718F2FA.jpeg
    OR...hold a nail over a flame to heat and push thru the cover.

Last edited: Oct 16, 2020
  12. Pickaxe

Pickaxe TDPRI Member

Thanks mate, sorry don't even know what or where 61 is??? but thanks for your advice

13. Pickaxe

Pickaxe TDPRI Member

Ah just seen what 61 is, sorry eyesight not that great :(

14. Freeman Keller

That was just the previous post number where someone asked the same question.

My method is pretty simple - I take a zip lock sandwich baggie and fold it over itself 3 or 4 times, then just use a paper punch to put a couple dozen holes in it. I make up a bunch at a time - anytime an acoustic guitar comes into my shop that doesn't have some sort of humidifier in it I just put in one of mine. You can spend lots of money at guitar stores on all kinds of fancy gizmos - however with a dozen acoustic guitars of my own and all the ones that cross my work bench this is just so easy.

15. Gjguitarmn

Gjguitarmn TDPRI Member

I have a stand-alone humidifier in my guitar room/office and leave all of my guitars (acoustic and solid body) hanging on the wall. Sure, I have to refill the humidifier every day...but my guitar’s are “always available” when the mood strikes. I also keep a humidistat in the room separate from the humidifier to make sure the humidity is within range throughout the (small) room.

16. Varmonter

Varmonter TDPRI Member

I live across the lake in vt. Winters can be brutal on acoustic inst. My house with the pellet stove hovers around 17%rh in winter.
    All my inst are humidified. I use plastic soap
    Dishes with drilled holes and water balls.
    Most economical solution. Tooth brush holder for my mandolin case.
    I had a friend who left her new martin on a stand in her apt all winter. It literally came apart at the seems. Sad..

17. ROADMAN

ROADMAN Poster Extraordinaire

electric or acoustic ...both need to be humidified where I live ....fret sprout sucks and a crack on an acoustic really sucks

18. PCollen

PCollen Friend of Leo's

I live in Florida. Humidity is the LEAST of our needs...

19. weejee

weejee TDPRI Member

Interesting. Which side of the mountains are you if you do not mind my asking? I'm in Seattle, and have a couple of Martins, a Dobro, mandolin, ukes, and electrics and don't have problems. I keep them all in cases. But we do have a humidifier for those rare times the in-house humidity drops too far. The shop has its own humidifier.

20. Stubee

Stubee Doctor of Teleocity Gold Supporter

Yep. I start using simple soundhole humidifiers when the house humidity gets down to 30%. I have a whole house humidifier but can’t realistically keep the entire house above 30% on very cold and windy days in N Michigan, at least not with my house.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.