1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Do you use a humidifier in all your acoustics?

Discussion in 'Acoustic Heaven' started by Telefan33, Oct 13, 2020.

1. dr. love

dr. love Tele-Meister

I used to leave them out and use a room humidifier, but now I have small children, so the acoustics stay in the cases with Humidipacks.

Greggorios likes this.
  2. Bean1871

Bean1871 TDPRI Member

Yup. Sound hole humidifier, a homemade case humidifier, and two small humidifiers for the room that are called into action during heating season.

3. mikestrat1956

mikestrat1956 TDPRI Member

Last year I finally gave up with constantly refilling all my in case humidifiers and got a $120 room humidifier on Amazon (Aircare 831000) that works great. I set it at 55% which keeps the room at 50% at all times during the cold dry season in NYC. Life changing move.:)

ROADMAN and Greggorios like this.
  4. tangoyankee

tangoyankee TDPRI Member

This depends on your environment. I have a hydrometer; between 40 and 60 percent is normal. Below 40, I would use a humidifier. Over 60, use a dehumidifier.

5. Greggorios

Greggorios Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

Daddario Humidipacks and a small room humidifier for both acoustic and electric. Granted it's likely a bit of overkill for electrics but helps to avoid fret sprout. BTW I do "recycle" the Humidipacks a few times by tossing them in a baggie with a wet sponge before I replace them.

Last edited: Oct 16, 2020
  6. JL_LI

JL_LI Friend of Leo's

I live in the northeast. I keep all guitars in cases when they’re not out. I used to keep an electric out for a week and then take out a different one. I’ve never had a crack except in a 1974 Ovation Balladeer. The cracks are in the plastic rosette. There are no cracks in the wood. I don’t keep any guitars out of their cases these days. I have an eighteen week old Weaten with a taste for wood and Mogami Gold cables. She’s far more dangerous than a few days of dry air.

Telefan65 and Greggorios like this.
  7. Telefan65

Telefan65 Tele-Meister

Yes for me. I use sound hole style and home made sponge in a zip lock bag with holes. All my acoustics solid or laminate. Stay in cases when not in use. So far so good.

Greggorios likes this.
  8. rjtwangs

rjtwangs Tele-Afflicted Silver Supporter

Besides my home air humidifier system, I have a designated guitar room with an additional pair of these. They are the best room units I've found. They work great in addition to the house system.
    20201016_084758.jpg

RJ

Greggorios likes this.
  9. Boreas

Boreas Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

My first expensive guitar I decided I was going to baby. In the 80s I bought a used 77 Martin HD-28. Always kept it in its case and used a humidifier that was basically perforated rubber surgical hose with a rubber washer on one end. You were to dampen the hose (that contained some absorbent cloth) and slip the hose between the strings and into the soundhole. Once I did this and apparently dribbled water onto the top of the guitar without noticing. Next time I opened the case I had a well-humidified guitar with water-spots in the lacquer near the bridge. Last time I used that. I also heard of them staining the inside of the back if overly saturated. The spots were still there when I sold it.

10. Boreas

Boreas Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

Another hint is if you touch something metal and get zapped by static electricity, it is WAY too dry!

Greggorios likes this.
  11. gibsonjunkie

gibsonjunkie Tele-Afflicted

I have a whole-house humidifier attached to my furnace and a large capacity humidifier in my music room. I keep things around 45% all year long. I keep all my guitars out hanging on the walls with no ill effect.

12. Stinger22

Stinger22 Tele-Meister

Same here on the gulf coast, we get 60+ even in winter

13. Chuck berry

Chuck berry TDPRI Member

I for humidify all my guitar especially in the winter. If you can humidify your house like one mentioned its great. All my guitars acoustics are humidied especially in the winter. If its too dry the wood will crack especially in winter. If the wood is to dry in acoustics,you'll notice the sound not the same.

14. Tele Plucker

Tele Plucker Tele-Meister

This is my humidifier method along with a room humidifier..plastic soap container and sponge, kept in a sock so not touching on guitar.

One suggestion from my experience...use distilled water for humidifiers or you will likely end up with a white mineral film on your instrument and/or house surfaces.

FenderGuy53 and harlycarly like this.
  15. harlycarly

harlycarly Tele-Afflicted Silver Supporter

I've become much better about this in the last several years. It started when this gorgeous Takamine parlor acoustic electric I picked up started buzzing and eventually developing dead spots every winter. I live in Northern Vermont and we used to heat our house primarily with wood. I tried a bunch of different case humidifiers and got very little results. I spoke with a couple of luthiers and one told me that he keeps all his acoustics in stands in a large walk in closet and runs a humidifier in there. He suggested I take the guitar in to a bathroom when I take a shower. I thought this was nuts but tried it and noticed some improvement. I was then able to convince my VERY understanding wife to let me take over a small spare bathroom and run a humidifier in there "for a few days" which turned into weeks. (She puts up with a lot of my idiosyncrasies.) It finally did the trick and I had all my acoustics spend some time in there. Since then, I've become much better about keeping them humidified with in case Oasis units, drilled soap holders & sponges, hygrometers around the house, etc. My buddy is a vintage collector and he pays strict attention to humidity levels. Sometimes the in case stuff isn't enough and the room humidifiers need to really crank out for a while. So far it seems to be working, although this is a reminder that I need to be more vigilant now that colder weather is upon us. Plus, no more wood heat. I really want to baby my acoustics because seeing ones crack from neglect is heartbreaking to me.

I don't worry too much about my Teles, although sometime fret sprout appears in the winter months when the heat goes on, depending on the particular guitar.

I'm ready to set up the humidity chamber bathroom if I need to. Wife is a little less pleased with the process these days though. :(

16. harlycarly

harlycarly Tele-Afflicted Silver Supporter

Freeman:

Do you put any type of perforations in the bag? Cant really see from the pic.

17. nashvillebill

nashvillebill TDPRI Member

After 46 years of playing guitar I had my first humidity crack last winter on the top of my Martin OM-28v. I have 4 high end acoustics and mostly they all stay out. I think the reason this happened was because I had them on a four space rack and the OM was at the end near a heat register under my studio desk. Suffice it to say that rack has been moved.

18. fasthand

fasthand TDPRI Member

I do the homemade humidifiers in my acoustics
    Travel bar soap container with a dozen 1/4” holes and half of a natural sponge
    1 in the headstock area 1 in the heel
    I check them for adequate moisture on Saturday when I clean the house
    I also have an old radio shack thermometer/ hygrometer in the room for general RH
    Has worked well for years

19. decibel

decibel Tele-Meister

Yes

20. erobillard

erobillard TDPRI Member

Only use a humidor in the ones you don't want to crack. It's sort of like "only floss the teeth you want to keep."

I've had a classical develop a crack down the top, and my Dad's first guitar became unplayable to the point of having to be taken apart, steamed (to re-flattten the back), rebraced, and rebuilt.

Take care of them, and they'll take care of you,
    -e.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.