1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Do you use a humidifier in all your acoustics?

Discussion in 'Acoustic Heaven' started by Telefan33, Oct 13, 2020.

1. Cali Dude

Cali Dude Tele-Afflicted

I'm with Blue17. I use the same humidifiers in my acoustics. I live in a desert, so, it is imperative to use humidipacs.

Greggorios likes this.
  2. Freeman Keller

Freeman Keller Poster Extraordinaire

Remember that if you heat the air in your house you are drying it. If your skin gets dry and itchy during the winter your guitars are too. Spend two dollars for a sponge and baggie and keep your guitar(s) in their cases.

Edit to add - I just looked at my little weather station. It has been raining off and on here in Eastern Washington for the past few hours, not currently. The outside humidity is 80 percent. The calibrate hygrometer in my music room is 34 percent. The heat is on.

Last edited: Oct 13, 2020
  3. srblue5

srblue5 Tele-Meister

I use a humidifier in all my acoustics and electric cases. It's dry around here and my Martin has developed some hairline cracks over the years. Years ago, I lived with a roommate who liked to monkey around with the A/C (e.g. cranking it up when it was 10C outside), and it unfortunately afflicted several of my instruments (one of which I wasn't able to get restored fully).

Greggorios likes this.
  4. FenderGuy53

FenderGuy53 Poster Extraordinaire

I always keep a home-made humidifier in my acoustic case: plastic, 2-part soap holder, with holes drilled in top, kitchen sink sponge, cut to size, to fit inside. :)

Tele Plucker likes this.
  5. gimmeatele

gimmeatele Tele-Afflicted

No, but after reading this I shall be getting one, good thread and interesting stuff. :)

6. Telecastoff1

Telecastoff1 Tele-Afflicted

Yes, and my house is humidified as well.

Greggorios likes this.
  7. cravenmonket

cravenmonket Tele-Holic

Yep, this scenario.

If your room is cold and you heat it up (particularly with HVAC) while your guitar is out, be careful. The humidity will drop very fast. And it's the rapid swings in RH which really stress an acoustic guitar.

Guitars can tolerate quite a wide range in RH as long as you let them acclimate gradually in the case.

Greggorios likes this.
  8. drf64

drf64 Poster Extraordinaire

what were said roommate's redeeming qualities?

9. trapdoor2

trapdoor2 Friend of Leo's Gold Supporter

No, I live in the South. 40 yrs, no issues. A few years ago I bought a 1915 Gibson archtop and I worried a little bit that it might do something whilst acclimating. No problem so far.

All my instruments live in cases. Not gonna worry about it.

10. Boil

Boil Tele-Holic

Those things are very good, I use them on my acoustics as my basement is a bit more humid than I like it, I keep all my acoustics in their cases and they are much happier now, I highly recommend them.
    The other guitarist in my band has the opposite issue at his place and he bought them for his guitars and is quite happy, his packs dry out in a few months and turn lumpy, he recharges them by soaking them in a bowl of distilled water and is happy as a clam.

Greggorios likes this.
  11. Freeman Keller

Freeman Keller Poster Extraordinaire

Another perspective - if your home has a good closed loop humidity control (meaning it measures the actual room RH and adds moisture as required) you probably don't need to humidify your guitars. My local music store says that in the winter their HVAC system ADDS about 20 gallons of water a day to the showroom (I wish I knew the square footage, but an average sized display room). They have thousands of dollars worth of guitars hanging on the wall and can't afford to have problems.

When someone brings a guitar to me for any kind of repairs (particularly during the winter) the first and second things I always check is the neck angle and the dryness. If the guitar is dry I don't work on it, I send it away with one of my mega-sponges inside and tell the owner to charge the sponge weekly and bring it back to me in a month or two. Yes I put that sucker right inside the body - the sponge is damp but not dripping wet.

IMG_3624.JPG

Usually with a dry guitar I'll dress the frets so they don't draw blood and I'll frequently shim the saddle to make it playable - that is about the only time I shim rather than make a new one. I know that once the wood has stabilized I can probably remove the shim and it will be back to normal.

I also don't try to fix the cracks until the guitar has had a chance to stabilize - you can still play it with the sponge inside, bring it back when the crack has closed.

I consider letting a guitar dry out as neglect - it tells me the owner didn't care enough to take care of it. Your mileage will vary.

weejee, brashboy and harlycarly like this.
  12. Boil

Boil Tele-Holic

I bought 5 crappy hygrometers from Amazon for < $10 and put one in each case, they are very crappy but they do work.

13. mdphillips1956

mdphillips1956 TDPRI Member

I am in Sussex England and have never heard of anything like this happening in the fifty years I have had guitars; but I wonder if some that crack were made with unseasoned timber so they later dry out and shrink?
    Mark...........

14. Chaipod Yusakon

Chaipod Yusakon TDPRI Member

The guy who sold me the Taylor when he came back to Thailand, n I toke the 2 humidifier out n he ask me put it back n I foolishly did. After a few yrs I plug in to play with the amp n the ES system kaput...because of the 2 packets of humifiers. When I went to repair the ES he told the wire is thin like hair n he show me the humidifiers is the culprit.

15. hockey guy

hockey guy Tele-Meister

I have been using the Daddirio humi paks for my Martin guitars for years. I never had a problem.

Greggorios likes this.
  16. Edge1289

Edge1289 TDPRI Member

In the spring, summer, early fall here on the Jersey shore, I have to dehumidify, if I don’t mildew will start to grow. My acoustics are all in their cases with hygrometers. In the winter I use the plastic soap holder drilled with holes and damp sponges.

17. Infusion

Infusion TDPRI Member

I use a small calibrated case hygrometer and Boveda system it works both ways keeping guitar from too muchhumidity and from drying out. . Living in a coastal area of Fl. it has kept my guitar at a constant level now without having to change replaceable packets for over 2 years though winter and summer without worry. I'm guessing if you live in a dry climate you might only get a short life without changing them out. A good case also helps.

Attached Files:

18. Billy Claire

Billy Claire Tele-Afflicted

Yes. I use the Oasis humidifiers both soundhole and the Oasis 6 which has a magnet and attached to a metal clip you put on the case. They work well...

One thing though, you'll need the crystal refill kit to replace crystals every year. Cheap and easy and one kit should last for several years.

I have 2 Gibson J-100 six strings; one J-100 12 string; and my wife's '65 Gibson B25 all with Oasis humidifiers. I had some issues with my 12 string because I wasn't humidifying it (top crack, etc.) and now I'm refilling them weekly.

19. backalleyblues

backalleyblues Friend of Leo's

Florida, you tend to need to de-humidify if anything! I have a fairly recent HVAC that monitors humidity, and it usually is right around 50%-will have to check it again once we kick on the heat in November.

When I lived in Montreal, we always put a pot of water on top of the radiator to add humidity, but we also needed to keep humidifiers in the cases-my old Gibson Blueridge developed a crack on the back because I didn't have a humidifier in it...

Franc Robert

20. Terrygh1949

Terrygh1949 Tele-Meister

When the humidity and dew point get low, yes.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.