1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Do You Use A Fat neck? If So Which One And Why Do You Like It

Discussion in 'Telecaster Discussion Forum' started by Jeff4h, Aug 10, 2013.

1. JazzTwanger

JazzTwanger Tele-Meister

I installed an Allparts TMO-FAT on my latest partscaster - 1" end to end. I've only had guitars with the modern C until this one. I definitely like the feel of the fat neck (my hands are pretty average), though next time I might aim for something a shade thinner - I have a little trouble stretching for certain jazz chord voicings. It'll be hard to go back to modern necks though - my American Special tele feels like an Ibanez after I spend any time on the TMO-FAT.

2. BobbyB

BobbyB Tele-Afflicted

I find fatter necks really seem to sustain more and add to tone.
    I agree that I still want to be able to perform thumb over chords or its a deal breaker.

3. Tidepoolbay

Tidepoolbay Friend of Leo's

I have a Danny Gatton custom shop. Big neck baseball bat neck.

4. cousinpaul

cousinpaul Friend of Leo's

I was having a problem with the index finger on my left hand. Going to bigger necks cured it. I've got a Warmoth 1" soft V on the strat and an Allparts compound-radius chunky C on the tele. I also liked the Allparts TMO Fat but had to sell that guitar.

5. TNO

TNO Friend of Leo's

I like the Allparts FAT necks with a little bit of the shoulder taken down, particularly around the first few frets.

6. Revv23

Revv23 Friend of Leo's

1" soft v is my jam. I'm not too picky but I never complain about a nice thick v. Feels thinner than it is. It's the shoulders that really make a thick neck too thick for me. IMO.

7. kubiakl

kubiakl Tele-Meister

I just recently installed an Allparts TRO-Fat. My hands are on the smaller side of average but I love it. Much more comfortable for longer playing sessions, especially when it comes to barre chords.
    It just fills my hand and eases the cramps in my fingers.

8. dblues

dblues Tele-Holic

I went with the Allparts TRO for my partsquire build and I'm happy with it. My two main guitars for many years have been a LP Jr and a Strat and I always felt like the difference in scale length and pickups affected my playing more then the neck profile difference. My hands are not real big.

After putting the guitar together I played it for a few weeks the way it came and really couldn't find any issues with playability but it just kind of looked and felt too big at the nut. I took it off and tapered it from about the 7th fret to the nut quite a bit where the ball of my index finger rests. Played it some more and then took off a little bit of shoulder on the thumb side and about 1/16 of the thickness from about the 5th fret to nut. That felt better.

Does it sound better? Don't know.
    Does it play better? I think it does but not a big difference.

It does feel better then the thinner MIM neck but I'm no shredder so maybe I'm missing something.

9. Jeff4h

Jeff4h TDPRI Member

<<I installed an Allparts TMO-FAT on my latest partscaster - 1" end to end. I've only had guitars with the modern C until this one. I definitely like the feel of the fat neck (my hands are pretty average), though next time I might aim for something a shade thinner - I have a little trouble stretching for certain jazz chord voicings. It'll be hard to go back to modern necks though - my American Special tele feels like an Ibanez after I spend any time on the TMO-FAT.>>>

what is the contour on this neck

10. Flaneur

Flaneur Friend of Leo's

I have a TMO-Fat neck, which staves off cramping, better than most other guitars I've had. I have medium sized hands but I find thin necks uncomfortable for long gigs- two hours or more.

11. Shango66

Shango66 Friend of Leo's

Yes, I use em.
    The hot rod teles neck is very comfortable, I think it's a U shape.

Neck shapes and dimensions change over the years.
    From my exp, An early 60s Gibson neck was chunkier than a later 60s neck.

12. RyMo

RyMo TDPRI Member

I have a 22 fret Mighty Mite maple V neck. It's inexpensive, it feels right to me and I have no complaints. I put it on a Fender Nashville body in a partscaster assembly I did 5 years ago. It has a nice feel and is comfortable for chording or leads. I am 6'3" so it works well with big guy hands.
    I have a Warmoth boat neck on a strat style as well and have thought about trying a fatter Tele neck from time to time probably out of curiosity/boredom but just can't to break away from the "V". It's nice.

13. Poppatwang

Poppatwang Friend of Leo's

I bought a Warmoth boatneck and eventually decided it was a tad too much.
    Had it shaved down so the upper neck matched the existing shape at the 12th fret.
    Liking it better.

14. TeleToTheRain

TeleToTheRain Tele-Holic

neck profile is the single most important factor for me in determining whether I bond with a guitar or not. Too thin and my hand cramps up something fierce! I guess I'm in the minority though because manufacturers all seem to favor the thinner stuff and good luck trying to get info on neck profile dimensions....

I had a couple Warmoth boatnecks which I liked but my latest is a 1 3/4" nut 59' roundback that I carved from a V to C... fits like a glove! I also save money not buying Gretschs and Gibsons.

15. mimmo

mimmo Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

Musikraft neck Big C #2 0.90-0.99 , almost the same as in my broadcaster: enough to love it!! ; )
    It makes my hand feel at home, purely and simply.

16. thesjkexperienc

thesjkexperienc Tele-Holic

I agree. 1.75" nut and Musikraft .95" all the way up medium V with EVO gold 6150 frets or same nut and Warmoth's Boatneck. I prefer 7.25" or 9.5" radius, but except for the bridge feeling a bit strange even the 10"-16" compound radius is just fine. People make way too much stink about radius IMHO.

I like it even better if it is one piece, torrefied maple (baked) with a bit of figure.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.