Do you use a compressor?

dodona

Tele-Meister
To all you guys with pedalboards do you believe a compressor is a must? I see a lot of people performing with a straight delay and ts808 w/o a compressor and it sounds great.

When would/wouldn’t you want to use one?
Seymour Duncan Vise Grip Compressor all the time.

tweeet

Tele-Afflicted
An Orange Kongpressor from Rickenbacker 660 to Laney Lionheart L20t and A Janglebox from Revelation RJT60 12 string to Roland JC22...both always switched on.

stormsedge

Poster Extraordinaire
Gold Supporter
I have a Joyo...lately I leave it on all the time, in fact I think I killed power to my board yesterday with it still on:eek:. That's in a bedroom situation...unsure what I would find against a bass and drummer. It was one of the first pedals I bought. I also have a delay.

Mincer

Tele-Holic
I use either a Vise Grip, a BYOC 5 Knob, or one of the ones in my Fractal. But it isn't on all the time. I use it for solos and melodies where I want consistent volume across all of the notes. I wouldn't want that all the time- I prefer the natural dynamics of the guitar.

lespaul74

TDPRI Member
I've used the Dyna Comp on two guitars with buckers... My '72 Thinline RI with the first edition WRHB RIs, and my Epiphone ES-339, which has the Epi version of Gibson Classic '57s in it. Both of them sound great through the Dyna Comp... Sparkly, chimey. But I don't use too much overdrive or high gain settings, just straight clean 99% of the time, and usually at pretty low volume.

They added the tone knob to the Deluxe to counter the Dyna's historical tendency to darken things up, but I haven't really experienced any problems along those lines.

I've never tried it, but I think the MXR Super Comp pedal is the original Dyna Comp circuit, with an added attack knob. That's supposed to be more adaptable for use with humbuckers. (The DC Deluxe has an attack toggle switch, but not the adjustable sweep of a knob.)

Good luck!

Thanks. The Dyna Comp Deluxe has that 'attack' switch as you mentioned, so curious with humbuckers is it better to engage it so light is on, or keep it off? The MXR seems very similar to the Keeley Comp Plus in design anyway. Cheers.

Telecaster88

Tele-Afflicted
Thanks. The Dyna Comp Deluxe has that 'attack' switch as you mentioned, so curious with humbuckers is it better to engage it so light is on, or keep it off? The MXR seems very similar to the Keeley Comp Plus in design anyway. Cheers.

The Dyna Deluxe seems about the same in features as the Four Knob Keeley -- at least that's the way I remember it when I was shopping… To be honest, I'm not smart enough to know which attack setting on the Dyna Deluxe is supposed to be better for single coils and which for hums. I usually keep it so the led is on ("fast" attack), either way. Again, I play essentially clean, so high gain or OD might make dialing it in a little more important. Sorry, I'm not a very technical guy!

lespaul74

TDPRI Member
The Dyna Deluxe seems about the same in features as the Four Knob Keeley -- at least that's the way I remember it when I was shopping… To be honest, I'm not smart enough to know which attack setting on the Dyna Deluxe is supposed to be better for single coils and which for hums. I usually keep it so the led is on ("fast" attack), either way. Again, I play essentially clean, so high gain or OD might make dialing it in a little more important. Sorry, I'm not a very technical guy!

Thanks, I had the Keeley Comp Plus, but felt it was a bit too noisy even at lower settings. Torn between the Boss CP-1X and the MXR right now.

schenkadere

Friend of Leo's
After years of going through many compressors, I've landed on this Mooer Yellow Comp and it's just right for me. I only use a comp with cleans.

Telecaster88

Tele-Afflicted
Thanks, I had the Keeley Comp Plus, but felt it was a bit too noisy even at lower settings. Torn between the Boss CP-1X and the MXR right now.

FWIW, noise with the Deluxe hasn't been an issue for me, but my ears are fried -- and as mentioned, I play pretty quietly without gain. I have heard others say the Deluxe is less noisy versus previous models of the Dyna Comp.

lespaul74

TDPRI Member
FWIW, noise with the Deluxe hasn't been an issue for me, but my ears are fried -- and as mentioned, I play pretty quietly without gain. I have heard others say the Deluxe is less noisy versus previous models of the Dyna Comp.

The rated noise floor is very low on the Deluxe -100dBV.

reckless toboggan

Tele-Holic
I absolutely hate compression.

Everyone should own one of these:
twsqjca1dqrwuuejwaxe.jpg

RetroTeleRod

Poster Extraordinaire
Silver Supporter
I took the Boss CS-3 off my main board the other day. I decided to make room for a fuzz pedal. From one extreme to the other, that's me. :lol:

LKB3rd

Friend of Leo's
I just put my Keeley 2 knobber back in the lineup because I was craving a boost without dirt, and it's a great sound and works perfect for that use. Also good into overdrives or a fuzz.
It really does add a little something nice to the sound in my opinion. Compression set low at 9oclock, volume boosted equal to my other drive/dirt pedals.
Compression is like overdrive for my clean sound in my opinion, I've said it before... hopefully that makes sense.