Do you use a compressor?

Discussion in 'The Stomp Box' started by dsouza, Oct 14, 2019.

1. Blue Bill

Blue Bill Poster Extraordinaire

I use a Boss CS3 for parts that need sustain, like when I'm trying to emulate a keyboard part, you can claw-pick a 3 or 4 note chord and hold it for a measure or two. For some leads it can sound cool if it's not overdone.

RetroTeleRod likes this.
  2. Mexitele Blues

Mexitele Blues Tele-Holic

I keep a CS-3 on the board. It does a great hard squish for funk, as well as a good clean trebly boost for driving OD pedals. It helps with the sustain when playing Divided Sky. But it is most definitely not always on. I'd need a much more expensive comp pedal for that.

3. KC

KC Friend of Leo's

For Fender guitars I use a Cali76 into a cleanish AC15 style amp, fair amount of boost coming out of the comp, when I roll the guitar volume up it gets squishy but stays bright & in the mix. Rolling the volume back takes it out of the range where it's compressing a lot & gives plenty of dynamics.

I've been super-happy with this setup for both rehearsal & live shows but lately I've been trying to learn to play a Les Paul -- never had a good one before -- and this setup doesn't work at all for humbuckers. Roll the volume knob up & the guitar just disappears. It seems like a regular dirt pedal works better at keeping the dynamics right, been using a lovepedal JTM and so far that seems OK for both tight rhythm & sustains leads. We'll see.

4. lefty73

lefty73 Tele-Afflicted

Not recently, though up until the latest update of the HX firmware I dabbled in it. Usually just as a means to give a dirt pedal a little more front-end boost to help beef up single coils for riffage.

5. 4pickupguy

4pickupguy Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

^^This^^ My guitar can be weak or hyper scooped Which can come across as ’plinky’ at low volume. If my amp is at low volume the compressor is in “Arizona Sunrise” parallel mode, if it’s loud, it goes into booster only mode.

6. schenkadere

schenkadere Friend of Leo's

"atttack" I see what you did there. A little comp humor.

I honestly don't have any issue with attack or dynamics using a compressor. Maybe it's my picking style, idk. I'm a touch player, and I don't have any issues.

I think something like a DC really makes a SS amp sound less sterile...maybe it's just my ear and my style.

I've never stepped on a comp and said "where did my dynamics go?". Maybe a cranked DC or a cranked CS-3...something drastic, I'll notice a difference. But I don't use a super squishy comp like those can be.

If playing through a tube amp, the comp goes off once the hair gets a little thicker...especially if using a boost, which I will do.

Last edited: Oct 23, 2019
  7. Grandy

Grandy Tele-Meister

I have never owned a compressor. I don't even like humbuckers because the compress too much for me. I mainly play clean and I enjoy the challenge a misplaced accent offers. Occasionally I do like to squeeze the h*** out of one note with a fuzz engaged.

I've been contemplating getting a compressor for a while now and this thread has given me ideas how I might use one. I'm not sure though if it's essential enough for me to earn a place on my board, but I'm pretty sure at some point I'll get one and give it a try.

8. Sotakoira Musti

Sotakoira Musti Tele-Meister

Yep, Xotic SP red but only when playing Ric 360c63/12. Brings out the jangle.

9. StompBoxRacer

StompBoxRacer TDPRI Member

Try one that has a blend knob. That way you can blend in a little compressed signal for some fatness and sustain but not lose your dynamics.

They are closer to the $99 and above mark but there is a world of difference.
    I have the Pigtronix Philosopher's Tone and love it. I don't use it all the time, but it can really help with a Strat or Tele especially if your playing live and switching between single coil guitars and humbucker guitars.

10. cyclopean

cyclopean Friend of Leo's

no, because after about a dozen pedals and a clean boost what's hitting my amp is already compressed to hell.

11. boppy

boppy Tele-Meister

Almost always for clean stuff. I have a DOD FX80b.

Add a bit of chorus/flange and you can get those huge-sounding 80s Police and Alex Lifeson tones.

RetroTeleRod likes this.
  12. Obelisk

Obelisk Tele-Afflicted

I used to not like compression pedals much, but I am now addicted to the older Origin Effects Slide Rig. I leave it on all of the time because it makes the overall guitar tone more articulate. It has two channels, so I use the other channel for boosting. Too bad they stopped making the big box versions a few years ago though the pedalboard friendly versions sound pretty great. I am a fuzz guy and compression can do cool things when used in conjunction with fuzz pedals. A compressor pedal isn't a must for a pedalboard, but I prefer to have a Slide Rig in my signal chain:

SR_A.jpg

4pickupguy likes this.
  13. Doghouse_Riley

Doghouse_Riley Tele-Afflicted

Xotic SP on my main board. DOD FX 84 Milk Box on my grab n' go board. Both always on except when I'm using fuzz. Both set low; just enough to smooth things out a little and add a little sustain.

RetroTeleRod likes this.
  14. RetroTeleRod

RetroTeleRod Poster Extraordinaire

I wish my Milk Box still worked. Great compressor.

15. Iago

Iago Friend of Leo's

This for the last 4 years: https://1776effects.com/products/bear-hug-compressor-new-version

Just when I'm playing in an absolutely-clean-amp situation. I don't use it in combination with overdrive pedals or into overdriven amps - not needed (even though I have tried that and it doesn't sound bad at all) it's just that OD pedals and overdriven amps are already compressing (a bit or a bunch depending on the gear and settings) and you probably don't need all that much extra compression.

This comp is very transparent, easy to build (the jfet might be a problem though) and it's not squishy like crazy like a Dynacomp is (max comp setting is probably half of what a Dyna is, or less). and I set both volume and compression ration to noon on the comp. I have noticed that with some pedals (fuzz and some single-transistor drive circuits) the Bearhug makes what is after it in the signal chain brighter - probably a buffer interaction thing happening. In these cases, I have prefered to use the fuzz or OD before the compression - just something to keep in mind.

Last edited: Oct 25, 2019
  16. ndcaster

ndcaster Poster Extraordinaire

finally took this one for a drive:

B2D3C849-55E0-47A0-BE6A-9998369FB2E2.jpeg

I could get used to this

4pickupguy and KC like this.
  17. TigerG

TigerG Tele-Afflicted Silver Supporter

My experience using a compressor (a 70's MXR Dynacomp) at gigs is that it's a way to get louder and still not be heard.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.