Do you use a compressor?

Discussion in 'The Stomp Box' started by dsouza, Oct 14, 2019.

1. Fearnot

Fearnot Friend of Leo's

I have a DOD Milkbox that I only break out when I'm playing 12-string. Beyond that, no.

boppy likes this.
  2. Telecaster88

Telecaster88 Tele-Meister

I have a Maxon, but knew I really wanted a Dyna Comp. I ended up with the Deluxe Dyna Comp cuz it has the same circuit as the Script model, but added tone and blend knobs, all for $10 less than the plain Script!

Honestly I just have all four knobs at 12 o'clock and it gives me that sparkle and definition I love, no fuss. It's the kind of thing you don't even know it's on, besides everything sounds so good. Switch it off and something's missing. That something is the "Dyna Comp Magic®."

3. Marc Morfei

Marc Morfei Tele-Afflicted

There have been threads like this before.
    50% of people: OMG yes, what's wrong with you, of course you need a compressor.
    50% of people: Compressor? Huh? No. What for?

stevemc and Telecaster88 like this.
  4. RetroTeleRod

RetroTeleRod Poster Extraordinaire

I like a compressor for certain things. I tend to go back and forth on whether I need one or not. Just put my CS-3 back on board, so at present I'm in the compressor camp.

MilwMark likes this.
  5. telemnemonics

telemnemonics Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

Not in a pedal but most of my amps provide some tube compression even clean, and most of my dirt pedals compress as well.
    Playing clean through a big clean amp turned down you might have more need for a comp pedal, or not.
    Fingerpicking also might make a comp pedal desirable to help each finger produce the same volume.

6. graybeard65

graybeard65 Tele-Meister

I’m the odd duck that’s really on the fence. I’ve owned both the two- and the four-knob Keeley, a wampler Ego, and very recently a dyna-comp. I really want to like them, and try to find a set-it-and-forget-it sweet spot...but find that it just doesn’t work for me consistently.

As others have said - for chicken pickin and the occasional Gilmour/Steely Dan jaunt, I really like what the comp brings to the party. For other things, I really miss the very dynamics that the compressor tames.

so - have one, but only use it infrequently. Have decided that it’s equal parts style, and operator error.

7. tlsmack

tlsmack Tele-Afflicted

I find a little compression helps me hit any chord anywhere on the neck with confidence. Especially when playing clean. I have an EHX tone corset, the blend knob helps me even things out.

8. Pajama

Pajama Tele-Meister

I use an Xotic Sp on the lowest setting. I like it for clean and fuzz but turn it off when going through overdrive.

9. zeedoctour

zeedoctour Tele-Meister

yes

10. Buzzgrowl

Buzzgrowl Tele-Meister

It's nice to imagine you don't need one or that it negatively affects playing dynamics.... but the truth is that most players and bands benefit from all-round compression on most instruments. When you are standing next to your amp, you don't hear your dropouts as well. But the band and audience may have a different impression. Live, the sound engineer will habitually compress or limit you. Along with the snare, kick, bass and vox.

Compressor pedals definately makes riding the volume control on your guitar less useful, even useless. For a few songs I turn it off. But it usually stays on and I use pedals to boost volume and gain. I wish I could just ride the volume pot for our whole gig set.

Next partscaster will have a selector for "normal" and "bridge hb tone & volume pots bypassed" and see how that works. Anyone try this?

Having said all this, I really like the sound of my old cs2, clean or pushing an old rat. Add some delay and you are a guitar hero!

11. Tornado

Tornado TDPRI Member

I use it a lot on my clean sounds. I think it improves the tone. I also use it in front of a distortion or overdrive pedal to make my overdriven sounds smoother and to get more presence. The compressor pedal I use now sounds bright and doesn't squash the sound completely.
    I also like the compressor in my Boss ME-5 multi effect.

12. ping-ping-clicka

ping-ping-clicka Tele-Holic

Yes , I do use a compressor in several different flavors. The Pedal that I use is the Boss CS-3, the the digitech GSP 1101 has three different versions of compression including the BossCS-2 and the Dynacomp compressor ( based on the mxr dynacomp) and a very nice generic compressor . I own the FMR Audio RNC (REALLY NICE COMPRESSOR ). This unit has been reviewed as being comparable to the DBX 160.
    COMPRESSION ADDS A CERTAIN SOMETHING WHEN USED

Telecaster88 likes this.
  13. stevemc

stevemc Tele-Holic

i have a cs3.i can still use the volume knob to clean things up.

14. telepraise

telepraise Tele-Holic

This is my experience precisely with a Wampler Ego. I rarely turn up the sustain, just enough attack to catch some tele spikes and the blend stays at 12:00. When you turn it off, things sound dull.

Telecaster88 likes this.
  15. bumnote

bumnote Tele-Meister

Yes...not a lot but quite a bit. I have an original run '73/'74 Dyna Comp that's really versatile. They ain't cheap, but I found one who's seller, and myself at the time, wasn't fully aware about what is was worth so it was almost theft. I got rid of my others as a result...then on a whim bought the Joyo JF-10. Very subtle, clear but not a lot of squash...and dirt cheap. If you're new to compression pedals, it's a good place to start, they run $30-40 new. If you've never used one, start cheap to see if it's something you'd really use. No sense in starting off with a $100+ pedal that 50% of guitarists like, and 50% don't.

There's a simple mod you can do by drilling a hole into the case that allows an internal trim pot to be adjusted.

Explained here....
    https://www.thegearpage.net/board/index.php?threads/joyo-dyna-compressor-jf-10-easy-mod.1471040/

Unfortunately I didn't save the picture showing the mod. I haven't done it yet, but I am next time I have my drill out.

A TDPRI thread on the JF-10
    https://www.tdpri.com/threads/joyo-jf-10-dynamic-compressor-thoughts.317013/

748D0D25-BBE6-4E76-9119-CC67D291B27A.jpeg

Last edited: Oct 20, 2019
  16. schenkadere

schenkadere Friend of Leo's

I always come back to a compressor. Currently using the Mooer Yellow Comp set all at noon. I really like comps with SS amps to add some warmth, liveliness and bounce...set not as subtle.

57fenderstrat and RetroTeleRod like this.
  17. Charlie Bernstein

Charlie Bernstein Poster Extraordinaire

It's not a must. It depends on how you want to sound.

For blues, which is what I like playing, they can do more harm than good. I never had any luck with them until I got one with a blend knob. I just leave all its knobs at noon and forget about 'em. It adds sustain without sucking out the soul.

Nice but not essential. I might even replace it with a same-size boost pedal - also nice but not essential.

18. radiocaster

radiocaster Poster Extraordinaire

I don't use it, but a few weeks ago I tried it with a distortion or fuzz that wasn't high gain, and got crazy metal high gain sounds.

19. Butch Snyder

Butch Snyder Tele-Afflicted

I own one and it stays on all the time.

20. ndcaster

ndcaster Poster Extraordinaire

what do you use for vocals?

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.