Do you use a compressor?

Discussion in 'The Stomp Box' started by dsouza, Oct 14, 2019.

1. Obsessed

Obsessed Telefied Ad Free Member

After I get everything else just right, I then add compression as a touch of icing on the cake. I now use the VFE White Horse. Not for the inexperienced compressor user, but awesome for what I do.

2. schmee

schmee Poster Extraordinaire

I used a compressor for a few years. Then I got a wireless guitar rig. What I found was that back in the club away from the stage the guitar sounded like crap, yet it sounded superb standing right in front of the amp on stage. Further out it was mushy and indistinct. I sold the compressor immediately and haven't went back. Kinda cool for recording some things though.

3. P-Nutz

P-Nutz Tele-Afflicted

I play in an old-school funk band, so, umm ... YES!

4. Stringbanger

Stringbanger Telefied Ad Free Member

Them there comprehensive units are fer people trying to disguise their real sound. Stop it now, and give me some tone.:D

5. zammie

zammie TDPRI Member

You got me interested. Going to google it up. But Keeleys are pricey aren't they?

6. Teleguy61

Teleguy61 Friend of Leo's

Agreed.
    It is like a dressed-up and more polite DynaComp.
    I find it very useful.

7. tfarny

tfarny Friend of Leo's

I have gone back and forth a few times. It's a good pedal to have though. I used my Xotic SP as an always-on (light compression) for a while, but in the end I found I liked the tone without it just a little better than the tone with. It definitely has its place, just not the place I am in at this minute.

8. brookdalebill

brookdalebill Tele Axpert Ad Free Member

I can’t stand em’.
    More for y’all, I suppose.

2 Headed Goat likes this.
  9. MrClint

MrClint Tele-Meister

I'm not a great player, and I would never talk anyone into or out of anything, but I like using a compressor at the front of the signal chain to level out my uneven attack, to add some sustain and some clean boost into an OD. It's usually on all the time except for when I use auto-wah, or I decide it sounds better toggled off. I use the TC Electronic Forcefield.

10. mexicanyella

mexicanyella Tele-Afflicted

I have been transitioning gradually from distortion monkey to loud almost-clean-tone player for years. I like using a compressor to boost the amp slightly and apply subtle compression. I want it to sound like a cranked up amp, not an effect, and that’s useful for playing my solid-state older Peavey combos at fairly modest levels. My comps are nothing special: a pawnshop DOD FX-82 and a gifted Ibanez CP-5 “Soundtank.” Both do subtle compression + gentle boost pretty well, with the Ibanez being a little trickier to dial in and a little darker/fatter sounding.

Lately though I am only playing bass in a group setting and playing guitar at home. I live in the country and can play as loud as I can stand, and have been having more fun going pedal-less and cranking the amp harder and trying to do my compressing with my pick-hand playing dynamics.

2 Headed Goat and 57fenderstrat like this.
  11. Telecaster88

Telecaster88 Tele-Meister

I play clean 99% of the time, and I'm in love with my Dyna Comp Deluxe. It's like sprinkling magic dust on my amp. Gives everything sparkle and clarity.

12. Les H

Les H Tele-Holic

Same here. Except I use just a run of the mill Dyna Comp.

I play mostly country so my settings are generally always clean. I run the sustain control around 10 o'clock and the level above unity to drive the front of the amp a touch. Outside of the obvious level drop there isn't a drastic difference in the sound when switching the pedal off.

Playing country I'll strum a lot of chords throughout any given song and a compressor definitely helps me control over powering the bass strings on a strummed chord.

If my tone was based around a decent amount of gain from a dirt pedal or amps lead channel then I wouldn't have much use for a compressor I suppose.

In my experience the use of a compressor is overlooked in live music reproduction. I even have the bassist using a compressor and it made a drastic difference in his live sound. He's a finger player and he'd have some significant volume peaks and valleys in his sound. Some notes he would pick would cause his PA channel to clip while others would be barely audible. The comp definitely made an improvement and totally smoothed out his sound for a more consistent level. Acoustic guitar is compressed as well.

I even have a rack mount compressor in my PA rack. Helps with vocals tremendously as well. For a band that uses primarily clean tones the use of compression has made a huge difference in our live sound.

Telecaster88 likes this.
  13. funkysoul

funkysoul Tele-Meister

no its not a must usually.but when i'm gonna play some funky chords thats where i need it the most

14. El Marin

El Marin Tele-Afflicted

NO

NEVER (...again, had one years ago)

It will kill your dinamics, kill your tone and ruin your playing technique. It just flattens all then notes. Makes you sound like you play a keyboard instead a guitar

Learn to make allm the notes sound right. Is a the hard path but it worths the pity

Did I say I hate compressors? :lol:

15. VintageSG

VintageSG Friend of Leo's Ad Free Member

Is this a confessatorial group where we sit in a circle and try to appear comfortable discussing our demons with strangers?

'Hi, my name is VintageSG, and I use a compressor'

'Hi VintageSG'

'...Can you tell us when it started for you, and what problems it has caused in your life?, if you feel comfortable. We're not here to judge, but to help you understand why you exhibit such behaviours...'

'It started in an innocuous enough manner. I wanted clearer, sharper definition when tremolo picking and spankier attack when finger picking. I thought it would act as a salve to my technique. I soon discovered that by running barely on, it added a kind of sparkle to my sound. It didn't squish, squash, quash or flatten my sound, more lifted it. I notice when it isn't there more than noticing it being there these days.'

<group>'FREAKAZOID!, BURN HIM!'

16. EllroyJames

EllroyJames Friend of Leo's

Yes when I’m playing my electric 12 string guitar.

boppy likes this.
  17. rogb

rogb Tele-Afflicted

I use a BYOC 5 knob Ross clone, it's been my always-on pedal ever since, especially straight into PA. Really fattens up the sound of S/Cs and with the blend, you can keep some dynamics.
    https://buildyourownclone.com/products/5-knob-compressor

zammie likes this.
  18. uriah1

uriah1 Telefied Ad Free Member

On acoustic once in awhile. If I was a chicken picker, probably.

19. zammie

zammie TDPRI Member

Thanks. Will look at that. I'm not handy with electronics though...

This threat made me think about whether I would benefit from using one and the answer is 'probably not'. I play clean mostly, and am working on building dynamics in my playing. But I could be wrong, so I should try one out.

20. Matthias

Matthias Friend of Leo's

Sometimes for really tight distorted sort of sounds or big lead. I use it more for bass.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.