Do you use a compressor?

Discussion in 'The Stomp Box' started by brown2bob, Jul 5, 2021.

Do you use a compressor?

1. Yes

46.6%
  2. No

26.1%
  3. Occasionally

27.3%
  1. gitold

gitold Poster Extraordinaire

Yes I use them a lot and I have a lot of them. My favorites have blend controls.

2. Bob Womack

Bob Womack Friend of Leo's

Yes, as a matter of fact. I do.

Bob

3. telekaster1999

telekaster1999 Tele-Afflicted

Boss CS-2 for me and always on, all 3 controls set at 12 noon.

Hiker and Telecaster88 like this.
  4. jaxjaxon

jaxjaxon Tele-Meister

Only when I play finger style because my little finger dosent pluck the string as hard as my other fingers. So I set it at the lowest settings 2 to 1.

5. E5RSY

E5RSY Doctor of Teleocity

Only on bass, just enough to even out string volume.

WalthamMoosical likes this.
  6. jkats

jkats Tele-Meister Silver Supporter

Yes, with Fenders, but not Gibsons - Guyatone ST-2 on the big board, BYOC Orange Squeezer clone on the smaller board.

7. Red Ryder

Red Ryder Tele-Meister

I use a Hitachi dual tank oil lubed compressor have been very happy with it. Drives Brad nails to 3 1/4" framing nails. Plus runs paint gun and sheetrock pattern gun. Doesn't have enough capacity to run air chisels, but I can live with that.

kLyon, Coffeemutt, Larry F and 10 others like this.
  8. El Tele Lobo

El Tele Lobo Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

I’m about to get back on the compressor bandwagon. I just ordered a Wampler Ego Mini.

9. oregomike

oregomike Tele-Holic

I have a Greer Lamplighter Optical Compressor and have to say first, I love it, but really I don’t know it inside out. I pretty much tweak the knobs until I hear something I like. But I really like how it gives my tone a little punch which is what I mainly use it for.

pugnax and Telecaster88 like this.
  10. 8bitlooper

8bitlooper TDPRI Member

Only popped in to say that I was once an absolute comp addict. Just about every brand going back 20+ years (mxr all the way to origin effects and any brand in between). For no reason at all, I took my comp off about 2 years ago and noticed a real change to my playing style. Started using my volume/tone more, as well as amp volume/dynamics and got really used to it. I’ve tried to place a couple of compression pedals back in, but it doesn’t suit me like it used to.

However, every time I listen to Cory Wong I want to put a comp back in my chain :)

Suca and JustABluesGuy like this.
  11. green_henry

green_henry Tele-Meister Gold Supporter

Andy Summers and Adrian Belew were early guitar heroes of mine and inspired me to use a compressor. I tried an MXR Dynacomp and hated it. Had a Boss CS-1 for a while, but it was too noisy. Got a great deal on a Carl Martin Compressor Limiter and have been using it for 20 years -- quiet and a lot more adjustable; also has quite a bit of gain if you want to use it as a boost.

12. Telecastoff1

Telecastoff1 Tele-Afflicted

No, I don't. Just straight in to the amp. Guitar-cord-amp.

13. Telecaster88

Telecaster88 Tele-Afflicted

I use a Dyna Comp Deluxe mainly and love what it does for me. It's essentially always on. I have a DOD Optical Compressor too in case I want something a little mellower.

Thing with me is I play very quietly and 100% clean (and usually single coils). In that situation the comp provides all kinds of good stuff. If you're playing with hot pickups or a juicy amp that's already compressing your signal you probably don't need a comp pedal.

I have never noticed the DCC hurting my playing style or sensitivity. In fact it seems to make my playing more sensitive because at low volume I can ride the sustain and do a lot of light hand or pick movements and have them come across nicely.

For me, the moment I stepped on the DCC was an epiphany. It's the secret ingredient that finally let me achieve the sound I always heard in my head.

Last edited: Jul 5, 2021
    Bonhoeffer likes this.
  14. ReverendRevolver

ReverendRevolver Friend of Leo's

For more than 2 decades, I've been bewildered by how many people use compressors. Like, everyone has different preferences, I get that. I dont use a pick, which is odd to some people, but I dont hear a "baseball card in the spokes" sound, and have more control, and figured out early on how to compensate for the loss in attack.

But compressors always confused me because I hear what they do, I just dont really like it. The EHX black finger was the only compressor I ever really liked, and it may have been more the switching lamps and having a bit of distorted ness in there that made it cool. But not cool enough for the price tag, so I never bit.

Do "compressor people " just really like the evened out quality the way I dont like it?

Also, I REALLY wanted to just say "air compressor gets used every time car tires need air; how else are y'all doing it?"

Telecastoff1 likes this.
  15. bgmacaw

bgmacaw Poster Extraordinaire

16. teleman1

teleman1 Friend of Leo's

I have an Empress & a Slide rig,(big box). Both in line and one or the other will be on. THEy are on their own loop so I can take them out with a button push and apply them where I want. THe Slide is FAT & the Empress is transparent.

17. moosie

moosie Doctor of Teleocity Silver Supporter

I played with various compressors over the years... meh. Then I got an Empress, turned it on, set it to 'transparent', and never turned it off. It just makes everything sound a little better.

Telecaster88 likes this.
  18. Allen Peterson

Allen Peterson Tele-Meister

I use a Wampler Ego compressor. Volume 10 o'clock, sustain 12, attack 12, blend 12, and tone 9. I mainly use it for chicken pickin' stuff. The attack at 10 to 12 o'clock gives it the crispness or snap. The tone at 9 o'clock takes the ice pick highs out of the bridge pickup. I really can't tell much difference with the sustain below 12 o'clock. I'm not sure what the blend knob does.

El Tele Lobo likes this.
  19. philbeck

philbeck TDPRI Member

Jangle Box always on. Tele and Ric 12.

20. Ebidis

Ebidis Friend of Leo's

I Don't like 'em, I don't use 'em.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.