Do You Use a Capo?

Discussion in 'Tab, Tips, Theory and Technique' started by P Thought, Apr 30, 2019.

1. Octorfunk

Octorfunk Tele-Meister

True. A trick (if you can call it that) that I learned was the apply the capo, then gently/moderately tug on each string about halfway between the capo and the bridge. Capos tend to grab and pull the strings a little sharp, so by tugging on them after putting the capo on, it releases most of the string that is being pulled on by the rubber of the capo. As long as the guitar is well-intonated, this usually pulls everything back in tune without having to actually tune the strings.

P Thought likes this.
  2. Daddydex

Daddydex Friend of Leo's

I was just gifted a Glider Capo. I think it is a real game changer for me. Rolls behind the nut for storage. Guitar stays in tune when in use. Can EASILY switch position during song even though I probably won't do that. No dead spots. All notes ring true.

I am curious to see how it will hold up. Great capo.

Dan

P Thought likes this.
  3. Henry Mars

Henry Mars Tele-Afflicted

Years ago when I studied classical guitar a capo was a tool that you needed. Some pieces are unplayable without them and were written around the use of one. There are some cases where you need one if you are playing open turnings or are using "open voice" chords. a good deal of the time it is just a substitute for guitar lessons. .... The first time I played in a church band I showed up and asked for keys .... Capo 3 isn't a key, it is a crutch.

P Thought likes this.
  4. muudcat

muudcat Tele-Holic Silver Supporter

I use a half capo on some songs and on one of my own, a full capo on the first fret and half capo on the third with a drop D. Capo is just another guitarists tools

P Thought likes this.
  5. AJBaker

AJBaker Friend of Leo's

Some songs need it, like 'Here comes the Sun'. It isn't always just about the key: for some songs, a certain voicing is a necessity.

Other times, it's a useful tool for when I'd rather pay in A than Bb (partly laziness, partly preferring the sound of open chords...)

The only use I really dislike is when it's used as an excuse for a guitarist to only be able to play in the keys of G or C.

P Thought likes this.
  6. Slowpoke

Slowpoke Tele-Afflicted

I never used a Capo on my electrics, just barre chords if necessary. But due to age and arthritis I now use them on my acoustics, but I don't shout about it.. S

P Thought likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.