Do You Use a Capo?

Discussion in 'Tab, Tips, Theory and Technique' started by P Thought, Apr 30, 2019.

1. 3-Chord-Genius

3-Chord-Genius Poster Extraordinaire

I thought this way for the better part of 20 years. I avoided them, and played bar chords in everything. Then I discovered a couple of years ago that open chords on an electric just sound better to my ears. I still hesitated using them in public, because I didn't want other people to thing I needed a crutch, but eventually the importance of tone outweighed the importance of what other other think about me, and I use a capo any time the song is in a weird key where I would normally have to play bar chords. I'm never looking back.

Ironically, bar chords are easier for me to play than open chords, but it's really all about the tone.

t guitar floyd and P Thought like this.
  2. Jimmy Dean

Jimmy Dean Tele-Afflicted

I don't have time for capos, I'm too busy trying to figure out which direction my cables go.

AAT65, P Thought and t guitar floyd like this.
  3. jbmando

jbmando Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

From the back, between the strap and the body, down about six inches and then, finally, up and into the output jack.:p

Last edited: May 2, 2019
    Larmo63 and P Thought like this.
  4. Axegrinder77

Axegrinder77 TDPRI Member

I have all my guitars currently detuned half a step. I use a capo whenever I need to bring it up to standard pitch - ie jamming with a background track, using a harmonica, etc. The most common purpose, I believe, is to accommodate a vocalist. You can learn any song by changing key with a handy capo ready to go. Get a good one, it's worth it.

P Thought likes this.
  5. codamedia

codamedia Friend of Leo's

A capo is not a crutch... it's a necessary device in a working guitar players toolkit.
    There are things that are simply not possible without one.... regardless of how good you are.

I don't use mine very often, but I never go to a gig without one, and it's always in reach in case I need it (ie: it's never sitting in the case).

6. DFB1

DFB1 Tele-Meister

I have only used one a few times.
    That's when I was learning a few Jethro Tull acoustic songs.

P Thought likes this.
  7. asatfan

asatfan Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

I use a capo several times a gig. Many times because our female singer often wants the song in something other than the standard key. If you have a good capo, and put it on with care their won't be too much fine tuning. And if there is some fine tuning needed, it shouldn't take much time for a quick adjustment. I can't imagine playing some songs and having them sound right, without a capo.....Sin City in C# or Love is a Rose in B flat? Those songs need ringing, open chords.

8. magicfingers99

magicfingers99 Tele-Afflicted

If you do, when, why and how do you use it?

I capo my neck at the 1st fret whenever I take my neck off my guitar so I can work on it without restringing it.

I've also used it to clamp a cracked neck I glued back together.

what else are they used for?

i have a capo pedal, but it won't keep the string on the neck when I unbolt it.

P Thought likes this.
  9. howlin

howlin Tele-Afflicted

I use capos primarily on acoustic guitars, especially when playing with another acoustic guitar. I was in an acoustic trio [2 guitars + bass] and the rule of thumb was - whoever was singing plays the cowboy chords and the other player uses a capo. It turned out to be an eye opening experience. Since then I find two guitarists playing the exact same chord positions is just lazy & sounds boring. If you watch how Dan Tyminski & Don Block work out their use of capos in AKUS you find a wealth of options [at least I did].

Something else that really comes in handy when I find the need to drop the key of a song and how it can open up all kinds of new sounds and chord voicings by utilizing a capo. If you have a back catalog of songs this can be a way to breathe new life into them.

Where I've used capos the most is using partial capos, which I recently explained here. So, yeah, I use capos all the time.

P Thought likes this.
  10. howlin

howlin Tele-Afflicted

One thing I forgot to mention: I tune my guitars down to D Standard. The more I stay with this tuning the more things I like about it. One thing is using a capo on the 2nd fret which brings it up to E Standard with the added benefit of having closer string spacing which is much appreciated by my aging hands.

11. kbold

kbold Tele-Holic Silver Supporter

What I never do is clip my capo onto my headstock.
    Firstly it looks dicky.
    Also, having done this dicky thing years ago, I now have a permanent stain on the headstock from the black rubber of the capo.

It doesn't help to do anything that makes you look .... (you know).

3-Chord-Genius and Larmo63 like this.
  12. oceanblue

oceanblue Tele-Meister

13. burtf51

burtf51 Tele-Meister

did anyone mention "tone"...I bought a new acoustic awhile back and went on and got the G7 Heritage capo...love the tone, use it quite often anywhere from the 2nd to 6th fret and not for so-called "cowboy chords"

14. Marc Morfei

Marc Morfei Tele-Holic

This discussion has inspired me to grab my capo and revisit all the many songs that are outside my limited range as a singer, and figure out what key I need to sing them. Instantly, my repertoire as a solo performer has expanded by triple. Not that many people would want to listen, but just sayin.

kbold likes this.
  15. B Buckner Music

B Buckner Music TDPRI Member

I play so called "cowboy chords" 'cause... well, I play cowboy music....:p

16. burtf51

burtf51 Tele-Meister

I should have said "not for JUST so called cowboy chords...because I do love a A-B-C-D-E-F-G

B Buckner Music likes this.
  17. Frontier9

Frontier9 Friend of Leo's

Yes. Sometimes I use two.

18. 3-Chord-Genius

3-Chord-Genius Poster Extraordinaire

I'm trying to find a good alternate place to clip the capo. I already have a headstock tuner which looks dicky, and not only does that not leave enough room for the capo, if there were enough room, it would look twice as... well, you know.

kbold likes this.
  19. dkmw

dkmw Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

Ronnie Wood puts a Keyser on his headstock and uses the top handle to slip his slide onto when he's not using the slide. How does that look?:eek:

20. Octorfunk

Octorfunk Tele-Meister

All the time. Primarily for getting chord voicings that work best with a particular song.
    Ex: Sometimes I play the key of D open, but sometimes I want a different voicing, so I capo on 2 and play in a C formation.

As primarily a rhythm guitarist, some keys are just no fun to play in, such as F or Bb, so I'll always capo for those.

This is for both acoustic and electric.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.