Do You Use a Capo?

Discussion in 'Tab, Tips, Theory and Technique' started by P Thought, Apr 30, 2019.

1. gtroates

gtroates Tele-Meister

Capos are very useful for many situations, famous players of many different styles have used them frequently. I think it can be blamed on misinformation for anyone to consider them a cheating tool.

howlin, FloInPA and P Thought like this.
  2. EsquireOK

EsquireOK Friend of Leo's

If I had to, I would have zero objections to doing so. But I don't currently play many songs that need one. I use one to do the The Wildwood Flower in G using C fingerings, but that's about it. I will only use a Shubb capo; all the other types I have tried are not to my liking.

If I played in a band that played almost everything in a b/# key, and the songs were actually tough to play that way (just because they are b/# doesn't necessarily make them hard), then I'd just dedicate some guitars to either D# standard or F standard, or maybe some of each.

Last edited: May 1, 2019
    P Thought likes this.
  3. Frontman

Frontman Tele-Holic

Not for my guitar. A capo comes in handy as a clamp when I am gluing things together, and for holding sheet music pages on a stand.

Blue Bill and P Thought like this.
  4. kbold

kbold Tele-Holic Silver Supporter

I always place the capo directly between the frets.
    I've put kinks in my skinny strings by placing a capo too close to the fret.
    "On the fret" I've never tried, but it sounds like it would kink strings. Also the rubber on the capo would mould the string around the fret, and give a dead sound.
    Once kinked you can't unkink them.

P Thought likes this.
  5. Jim622

Jim622 Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

Sure from Open G & D to A & E, and for My Sweet Lord and a couple originals. Oh and John Prine.

P Thought likes this.
  6. bgmacaw

bgmacaw Friend of Leo's

And Ry Cooder and Nick Drake and, of course, Keef.

drlucky and P Thought like this.
  7. Chunkocaster

Chunkocaster Poster Extraordinaire

I use a capo to play along with original recordings of some songs I know. (only on maybe 4 songs) Norwegian Wood, James Taylor Fire and rain, I learnt the songs using the capo and don't have to think if i play them the same way. I don't make a science of it. I use it as intended, like replacing your first finger to bar the strings between frets. I don't place it on the fret.

I just finished using one to tweak the setup on a new guitar. Remove the neck and adjust truss rod etc.

Last edited: May 1, 2019
    P Thought likes this.
  8. RoCkstAr256

RoCkstAr256 Tele-Afflicted

Nah i used it other way, i mean baritones 26"5 and 27

P Thought likes this.
  9. nosuch

nosuch Friend of Leo's

I use one on like 2 songs for the rockabilly trio where the lady singer chose really odd keys – like folsom prison blues in C – though the drummer always shouts "looser" when I put it on. I ignore him and get the travis picking right.

P Thought likes this.
  10. elihu

elihu Poster Extraordinaire

That's the first thing I thought of too. Red Clay Halo has one of my favorite Rawlings solo's and I wondered how he did it. Then I saw the vid. Dave drones on the open G chord at 1:48 and pops it on soon after.

Tommy Emmanuel is another guy who puts a capo on/off mid song. He explains in a vid practicing that one thing over and over. He even pushes on his guitar strings after putting one one to bring it back in tune.

11. Sparky2

Sparky2 Friend of Leo's

I use one, but only for select songs in our sets.
    And I do so in order to recreate the ambiance of whatever song we are covering.

Tom Petty's song "Free Fallin' ", for instance.
    For it to sound right, I place the capo at 3rd fret.
    You simply play the shapes of the standard D and A chords, with the capo as your new 'nut'.
    *boom*, sounds like the record.

"Here Comes The Sun", The Beatles, 7th fret.

"The Chain", Fleetwood Mac, 2nd fret.

Etc, etc.

Okay, I'm gonna shut up now.

:(

drlucky, FloInPA and P Thought like this.
  12. Floorockous

Floorockous TDPRI Member

A capo and a slide go hand-in-hand in my book, primarily due to the use of open tunings. I only use a capo for acoustic playing for that reason. But I discovered that capo'ing on an acoustic gives that distinct sound of many old country blues recordings that is difficult to replicate without it.

So nowadays I use a capo for certain acoustic blues tunes even when playing in standard tuning.

bgmacaw and P Thought like this.
  13. perttime

perttime Tele-Afflicted

I'm not using a capo now. I would if I needed to play something in a key where it helps.

P Thought likes this.
  14. Greg_L

Greg_L Tele-Holic

I have a capo - never used it. I'm not really sure when or why I'd want to use it. o_O

P Thought likes this.
  15. Marc Morfei

Marc Morfei Tele-Afflicted

[/QUOTE]
    I never in a million years thought I would be shown evidence of Keith Richards using a capo. Shows what I know.

P Thought likes this.
  16. Marc Morfei

I never in a million years thought I would be shown evidence of Keith Richards using a capo. Shows what I know.[/QUOTE]
    Next I suppose someone will turn up a video of Jimmy Page using one?

Jimmy Dean and P Thought like this.
  17. dkmw

dkmw Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

Next I suppose someone will turn up a video of Jimmy Page using one?[/QUOTE]

Keef uses a capo at 4th fret for a number of open g songs. And at the 5th fret open g for You Can't Always Get...

Midnight Rambler is in standard with capo at 7th fret.

P Thought and bgmacaw like this.
  18. Marc Morfei

I would use one more often if the tuning wasn't such a pain. There must be some technique I am missing out on, because it's always out of tune. I know enough not to re-tune the guitar, because as others have said, then your guitar is out of tune when you take it off. So I just kind of tug on the strings in one direction or another to get it right. I'm curious to learn the right way to put one on, since I am probably doing it wrong.

P Thought likes this.
  19. Daddydex

Daddydex Friend of Leo's

Just some advice here. If you must use a capo on an electric guitar, NEVER through a solid state amp. Tubes only. Of course if cargo shorts are involved the rules change. Also, no blues in the daytime wearing shorts. These are just the basics folks.

Dan

20. Daddydex

Daddydex Friend of Leo's

There is no right way. The important thing is the guitar being in tune. If you have to tune it with the capo in place, then so be it. Just tune it again when you remove it. No sin.

I watched a video on YouTube the other night with 3 major country stars all using Keysers. They were all out of tune. Nature of the beast and all that.

Dan

P Thought likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.