Do You Use a Capo?

Discussion in 'Tab, Tips, Theory and Technique' started by P Thought, Apr 30, 2019.

1. jbmando

jbmando Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

If the guitar's intonation is set up correctly, you should not have to fine tune with the capo on. One thing to note: place the capo directly on the fret. Yes, you read that correctly. I have been placing the capo right on the fret - basically splitting the fret with the edge of the capo's rubber part for over ten years.. There are certain capos which cannot be used this way, due to the way they are made, but one with a straight, sharp leading edge will work perfectly. I can prove that it works. Kysers, Planet Waves, Fender pressure type (no screws,) most Dunlops, Shubbs - all work.

As for the OP - yes, I use capos all the time. Standard capos, cut capos, both together - whatever it takes to get the sound of open strings I'm going for.

howlin and P Thought like this.
  2. MilwMark

MilwMark Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

One thing does not follow from the other.

P Thought likes this.
  3. jbmando

This is nonsense.

oceanblue, howlin, stinkey and 6 others like this.
  4. jbmando

What do you mean? It certainly does. If your nut slots are not cut correctly, your guitar will not intonate properly in the low positions, 1st - 5th frets, and each string's intonation is off by a different degree, thus requiring fine tuning. My guitars' intonation are pretty much right on, and I never need to fine tune a capo.

Last edited: Apr 30, 2019
    P Thought likes this.
  5. MilwMark

A guitar can intonate perfectly (ok, as perfectly as the instrument can) but notes can still be pushed out of tune by excess fretting hand pressure. Same with a capo.

P Thought likes this.
  6. P Thought

P Thought Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

The capos I own now are Dunlop Victors. As I said before, I don't use capos very often, but I've found that if I put them on carefully, the tuning stays good and the strings still ring. Also they're relatively inexpensive.

Last edited: Apr 30, 2019
  7. jbmando

Not if you put in on the fret. I edited my first response to you, please re-read.

P Thought likes this.
  8. P Thought

P Thought Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

I've wondered about these. . .I guess you have to cut them yourself. . .alternate tunings without retuning?

9. thunderbyrd

thunderbyrd Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

Rory Gallagher sometimes used capos. therefore, capos are OK.

stinkey, drlucky, kbold and 1 other person like this.
  10. jbmando

No, they are made. I'm sure one could cut one's own capo, but I've never done it. My cut capos are Kysers. The ones I use are for the 3rd, 4th and 5th strings, two frets ups from the nut or a full capo, in standard tuning. Gives you Drop D in other keys.

P Thought likes this.
  11. kbold

kbold Tele-Holic Silver Supporter

Yes, a lot. To suit my voice.
    Easy to capo my guitar, hard to capo my voice.

12. MilwMark

In my old cover band there was a running joke about whether it was easier to capo all our guitars, or to, err, have the singer apply one to a certain region instead.

oceanblue, kbold and P Thought like this.
  13. AAT65

AAT65 Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

I think I use a capo for most of the reasons given here already. Some personal examples:
    • Alternate voicings — for instance I play Paint It Black and Jumpin Jack Flash with a capo on VII, the acoustic guitarist with a capo on II and the lead guitarist plays open. Helps declutter the sound space. And Tele with capo on VII = instant Keef approximation (without all that Open G tuning botheration).
    • Making the chords easier, especially for acoustic: songs in Gm or Cm are so much easier with a capo on III.
    • Changing key for the singer: the Summer Of ‘69 riff is a dog to play without open strings, for instance.
    • Changing the timbre: especially on acoustic and on 12-string. Here Comes The Sun wants a capo on VII to get as near Harrison’s bright ringing arpeggios as you can: or we do Losing My Religion with a 12-string capo’d at V for a fair rendering of the mandolin part.
    A capo is a tool, not a crutch, and I am happy to use one on any guitar.

howlin, stinkey, FloInPA and 3 others like this.
  14. teletimetx

teletimetx Doctor of Teleocity

Ordinarily, I sort of let the whole "capo is a crutch" thing slide, because, jimmy crack corn, really.

...but, c'mon, Albert Collins, Bo Diddley, Keith Urban, Gatemouth Brown, David Lindley, John Hartford, George Harrison, Keith Richards, Norman Blake, Ry Cooder, Tony Rice...even B. B. King (ok, at a very early age) and on, and on, all "cheaters", poseurs, false-prophets. Yeah?

No.

Ok, have your opinions, but really, who cares? I get the jazz players and anyone else who doesn't want to be fenced in. And yeah, we all gots a capo built into our own hands. It's an index finger, but everyone has to make their own choices and that's the good news, really.

the photos are out there, if you are that much of a student, you'd have already seen this.

<rant accompli>

howlin, drlucky, FloInPA and 3 others like this.
  15. Chiogtr4x

Chiogtr4x Poster Extraordinaire

I use a capo a fair amount, for the same usual situations:

- to adjust pitch to my voice, or using one as I'm covering a tune if one was used by original artist ( Bob Dylan, early solo stuff as an example, ,John Prine too!)

- use one in bluegrass playing where the songs' real pitches are say D or E but you 'play C position' with capo;
    or similarly, songs whose pitch is A or Bb or B, but you 'play in G' position, with capo-
    It's a traditional thing...

- when doing a duo gig with another acoustic guitar player; one of us may use a capo just to change up chord voicing!

Capos are cool!

Last edited: May 1, 2019
    FloInPA and P Thought like this.
  16. ClashCityTele

ClashCityTele Tele-Holic

Only when I'm setting up my guitars and checking the neck relief.

Jimmy Dean and P Thought like this.
  17. alnico357

alnico357 Tele-Holic

Situation dictates. I use it on Mr. Bojangles. We do it in Bm and the riff requires it. On another song in Cm the singer capos but I play it open. Same on Troubadour. I play it in open B.

P Thought likes this.
  18. Treadplatedual

Treadplatedual Tele-Holic

I use a capo whenever the song was written with a capo, or when I need to change the key to my range without making the song more complex.

P Thought likes this.
  19. G.Rotten

G.Rotten Tele-Holic

I rarely write music & so I've never written anything needing a capo.

I use them when it becomes obvious that song I'm trying to play was written using a capo.

Otherwise no. Nothing against them just almost never needed for what I do.

P Thought likes this.
  20. mfguitar

mfguitar Tele-Holic

In modern country you almost have to, a lot of bands tune 1/2 step lower so I tune a 1/2 lower but then sometimes you need the open string sound in a traditional key and I capo up ( in addition to all the reasons above) And, when did capos start costing $25 and more?

P Thought likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.