Do you try to reason with your dog?

CCK1

Tele-Afflicted
I currently have a Pomeranian, and she listens to reason when it's in her best interest, which is not often. But one of my prior dogs, a miniature poodle named Anton (named after Anton Fig) could be reasoned with. If we were going to be in an unfamilar situation for him, if it were calmly explained to him prior to the situation, he would be fine with it. If not, he could be a bit overwhelmed.

RetiredUnit1

Tele-Meister
One does not reason with the husky mind. You can bribe it, or get out of the way. If you're fast enough. I have four, which adds to the "pack mind insanity"

Fenderdad1950

Friend of Leo's
Dogs are command animals, take note. From my time with obedience teaching, dogs are pack animals and you are their leader. On the leash, say simply word like 'come' .... little guidance with light quick tug on the leash and walk the way you desire. If you try to reason, then you dog will think are wishy washy and will wait for a stronger command from you. If you have a dog like mine
20200419_093747~3.jpg
it will show you no respect.

Toto'sDad

Tele Axpert
Ad Free Member
I spoke to Alex about this thread asking if you reason with your dog. I asked him if I tended to try and reason with him? He replied, well this is not a straight up question for me, but since you asked, what makes you think I'm a dog? Further for arguments sake, let's just concede that I AM a dog, what makes you think I'm your dog? He left me to ponder on our conversation, and he's in there with my wife in her office/room, and I think I hear them whispering.

haggardfan1

Friend of Leo's
Does anyone else try to reason with your dog?I was walking my boys,they wanted to go one way,and I didn't.They pull and I try to explain why we can't go that way.Doesn't work.I try to explain why they can't have a cheeseburger,but they ignore me.I try to explain why it's bad to pull on the lease,but that doesn't work.No matter how much I explain that it hurts my shoulder,they still pull.

Research a piece of training gear called a Gentle Leader, or Halti collar. They're not expensive, and they have worked wonders on my two pullers.

Fit and use it correctly, introduce it gradually with patience, rewards, and praise, and I bet you'll see rapid improvement.

And yes, I do reason with mine, with varying degrees of success.

tahoebob54

Tele-Holic
Last time my dog misbehaved I picked him up and let him run away never to be seen again.

OK that did not really happen but it probally would if I had a dog. and for that reason I will never have a dog

telestratosonic

Friend of Leo's
Silver Supporter
No, I don't. She's right here with me now and she looked up as I was reading this post. Hmmm.
She's smart, alert, inquisitive and always wants to be a part of whatever we're doing.
7E177D2E-292C-4FC6-868E-2CD4DFB1B812.jpeg
Yes, she sleeps on the bed with us.