Do You Trust Your Brain?

telemnemonics

Telefied
Ad Free Member
these are bumper stickers posing as insight.
you can do better. reign the manic and process it.
I MIGHT be able to do better but sense that in the misinformation age, the masses are better served/ informed by a desire to research a ridiculous bumper sticker claim in order to debunk it.
Leave some weaknesses to pick at and the enemy will engage rather than going to ground in the face of an overly well armed foe.
Of course if one then goes to their fave biased source of confirmation, no gain for the pain.

Or maybe more to the point, fleshing out those bumper stickers requires stringing together too many assumptions speculations and extrapolations.
What "they" should do is inspire readers to do some research. Like codfish eggs though, few will grow to viable adult/ educated informed views.

TL DR is a factor, along with our common functional response where being told too many "facts" or too much fact style info that offends, more often turns "us" off the the content.
But thanks for the vote of confidence!

In the mission to comfort the disturbed and disturb the comfortable, some luxuries will not be served...

telemnemonics

Telefied
Ad Free Member
In top news: pilot has engine trouble and crash lands his plane on train tracks where emergency personnel pull him from the wreck just as a commuter train hits the plane.

Fact check chances that will happen!

Speaking of fact checking, one site reports $1 billion on weather disaster costs since 1980 while another site reports $750 billion in the last five years.

Nogoodnamesleft

Tele-Holic
Silver Supporter
My brain is much smarter than I am.

Problem is--I sometimes don't use it.

I should know better.

But do I trust it?

Nope.

Stare at the blinking green dot and the yellow dots will disappear, even while they're still there.

GIF-OI-Motion-Blindness.gif
Crap. You're right. Where to they go?

Peegoo

Doctor of Teleocity
Crap. You're right. Where to they go?

It a phenomenon in human perception called motion-induced blindness. When you're concentrating on one thing in a field of view where things are moving around, the brain cancels out unimportant details and they disappear from the scene and reappear in a seemingly random fashion.

Here's an article that contains more than you ever wanted to know about it:

Nogoodnamesleft

Tele-Holic
Silver Supporter
It a phenomenon in human perception called motion-induced blindness. When you're concentrating on one thing in a field of view where things are moving around, the brain cancels out unimportant details and they disappear from the scene and reappear in a seemingly random fashion.

Here's an article that contains more than you ever wanted to know about it:

I seem to experience the same thing at the guitar shop regarding my money situation.

memorex

Poster Extraordinaire
After over 70 years of watching loved ones die, relationship disappointments, career disappointments, seeing the world not turn out the way I would have liked, I've learned to trust no one but a narrow circle of people close to me, and to not feel emotion about all the horrible stuff I see on TV. At this point, all I have left to trust is my brain and what it perceives and my intuitions. When that goes, I might as well die.

ping-ping-clicka

Poster Extraordinaire
That's an interesting question.
Let's see no felony conviction, no time any prison system, one amicable divorce, I learned that marrying me would be a big mistake , stopped driving causes the other kids don't seem to have their minds on business, a major decision, getting clean and sober that was my mind working really well, I don't gamble, another though that I got from my mind. , I see a shrink once a week. that's a good idea. I'm not searching for the it girl.
Yeah I trust my mind , but I need to keep an eye on it, cause it sure likes risk taking behaviors so and therefore no guns, motorcycles or fast women.

blue metalflake

Doctor of Teleocity
Ad Free Member
My brain didn’t come with an operator’s manual & sometimes scares me something crazy. Sometimes I waken up in the morning with the solution to something I’ve been working on the previous day - damned brain working night shift on its own.
The more worrying thing now, is that I know it’s not working as well as it used to, and I’m worried in case I outlast it!

wilson_smyth

Tele-Meister
In a word, no.

I have an anxiety disorder, and fairly severe at that. It's a constant fight to keep in mind things like cognitive distortions playing havoc with the thoughts. So, there's a lot of debate going on in there.

My gut? Those are feelings that have been created through thoughts. If the thought process is broken, the feelings are unreliable too.

I've spent way to much time in cognitive behavioural therapy to trust anything my brain first tells me.

Right there with you bud.
You're brain is doing the right thing, but only for the threats it evolved to save us from, which mostly don't exist in modern society. So, similar to how we see patterns where there are none, some brains see threats where there are none, just because it is programmed to find something, anything in order to keep you alive.

I keep watch over my brain every day, and have become much better at telling the false alarms from legit threats. It doesn't make the anxiety less unpleasant, but lets me find a space between it and me, to identify and name it. Once it's named it loses a lot of its power.

Poster Extraordinaire
I trust my brain. Nobody else does. Retrospectively, they say "good call". Prospectively, they think I'm an idiot.

Nogoodnamesleft

Tele-Holic
Silver Supporter
Right there with you bud.
You're brain is doing the right thing, but only for the threats it evolved to save us from, which mostly don't exist in modern society. So, similar to how we see patterns where there are none, some brains see threats where there are none, just because it is programmed to find something, anything in order to keep you alive.

I keep watch over my brain every day, and have become much better at telling the false alarms from legit threats. It doesn't make the anxiety less unpleasant, but lets me find a space between it and me, to identify and name it. Once it's named it loses a lot of its power.
Thanks! I'm sorry you are afflicted in a similar fashion. It can be hell somedays.

johnny k

Poster Extraordinaire
Funny stuffs my brain do :
a cupboard on the work place got moved, everyone noticed but me. It seems i am always lost in my thoughts, and do not notice trivial things like that. A work mate rephrased something i said in a work exercise, and i was thinking did i say that ? Or did she get the meaning in another way than me talking ? The meaning was there, but she added stuffs i was pretty sure i didn't say.

I always feel out of place. If i want to see friends, i get bored real quick, because i don't care about the gossips, and think i would rather be home doing something else. Now i can sit down and drink beers and play video games for 7 hours if i have something to do, with the right friends.

I always have to check maps to see where i am going because though i have lived where i live for 20 years, i can't remember street names.

When my friends fetch me to rehearse, i have to think about what the color of their cars was last time they fetched me. And i am not even talking about the model, just the color. I don't know nothing about cars.

I get interested i diverse stuffs, but not for long.

The more i think, the more pessimist i get.

I guess i am operating on a different frequency most people are tuned in. Not a bad thing, it sometimes feels weird.

Duck Herder

Tele-Meister
I don't necessarily trust my brain all the time but I don't have much of an alternative to turn to. Knowing that all brains use heuristics and "system 1/system 2" shortcuts helps me understand what's going on in my skull.

Here's an example of my brain straight-up lying to me:

I was watching a video about why there are 12 notes in western music. When the presenter showed/played a 19-note scale which could be created as an expansion of the 12 note scale (the octaves are still the same but the subdivisions are smaller), I could not differentiate between some of the "new" notes and the "current" notes they are close to. I listened to it several times and after listening to it several times, the tones began to diverge in my brain and I could hear the "new" notes more clearly. It was a very weird experience.
The ear is very susceptible to illusions, or so I have been told.