Do You Trust Your Brain?

getbent

Telefied
Gold Supporter
I read recently that one of the challenges that our brains present is that they give us the impression that we are special and that we have some important purpose or thing we are supposed to do. Like the 'hodor' gene.

That is probably the big enemy. The very thing that can cause greatness in achievement can also cause the worst of totalitarian. Once again, the very thing that makes you rich, makes you poor.

Self Awareness MAY be a trap. But, logically, it is a better pursuit than just 'going with it' on all fronts.

If impulse control is controlling the chemistry that controls you, then the counter intuitive truth is to NOT go with your gut.

We know this answer, which is thoughtful moderation.

Find a steady pulse of providing enough endorphins to keep you positive and feeling good without overdoing it and becoming a zealot or hysterical.

JL_LI

Poster Extraordinaire
My brain is who I am and my biggest fear is losing its power. My intellect is in there. My creativity too. My memories, my love, my prejudices and fears. My accomplishments my thoughts and predictions. Do I trust it? I trust mine more than anyone else’s. If I don’t know the answer, I trust my brain to know if I’m being provided credible information or if I’m being mislead.

Do I trust my neighbors? I trust them to act in their own interests. They’ll guard mine where they coincide. I trust my brain to know when my interests are paramount and when there are other overriding concerns.

Mjark

Doctor of Teleocity
Silver Supporter
I trust it to keep me from walking into walls, most of the time.

Interesting about the heart and gut. I’d say my gut is more communicative than my heart but that may a Scandinavian thing!

tap4154

Doctor of Teleocity
Consciousness is a shell game. Our brains trick us into thinking we have free will. We go crazy if we knew the truth. Sometimes, if you look to one side fast enough, you can see your unconscious self.

william-shatner-twilight-zone.gif
And he's still having the same delusions.

Attachments

• Shatner Monster.jpg
    Shatner Monster.jpg
    117.2 KB · Views: 6

teletimetx

Doctor of Teleocity
Time exists and does not exist simultaneously. It curves in on itself just enough to create a sheen of sequence.

Likewise, the brain functions at will and without will. Somewhere in there is a balance, which with practice, can be differentially applied to circumstance at your choosing.

I’ve made my share of bad choices.

Still many frontiers; we’ve only scratched the surface - in the same way this pretentious post wallows in the indulgence of half-baked ramblings.

Cheers!

loopfinding

Friend of Leo's
nope, not at all.

OCD is pretty rough - rationally/empirically knowing something, even with substantial certainty, gets cognitively fused to having to intuitively "feel right" (i.e. not induce anxiety). 100% certainty/perfection or bust - an impossibility.

it's a strength for some things (testing, safety, gathering data, etc.) - "better safe than sorry" - but doesn't work very well for general living.