Do You Tip Your Tech?

Discussion in 'Amp Central Station' started by ElJay370, Nov 19, 2019.

1. Chunkocaster

Chunkocaster Poster Extraordinaire

I've only taken my guitar to a tech a couple of times, the last time I gave him a few tips on how I like my guitar to be set up and why I wasn't going to pay for the $100 buck fret level he recommended seeing as the guitar didn't need one.

Last edited: Nov 19, 2019
    beagle likes this.
  2. 39martind18

39martind18 Tele-Holic

When having my amp worked on, and my tech takes his time (no jumping places in line), and I have to wait a certain amount of time to get it back, his fees are not cheap, but also are not excessive, so I pay the charges, no tip. If he puts a rush on a job for me, he'll charge a surcharge for express service, fair, and, again, no tip. However, there have been several times I've called him to pick his brains about a problem that could be in my abilities to fix, but beyond my expertise to diagnose. He always is willing to lend his knowledge and have me do my own work. In those instances, a $20-25 tip sent via paypal is a great investment because I don't have to drive 40 miles round trip into Houston, spend $5-7 in fuel, twice, and lose a couple of hours each time I make the trip, and usually he's spot on.

3. Hey_you

Hey_you Tele-Meister

Yes. And yes to other proffessionals.Not aways money.Could be a great beer or lunch on me.

4. Syrinx

Syrinx Tele-Meister

Generally the tradition is you tip an employee or contractor-but not a business owner.

5. Musekatcher

Musekatcher Friend of Leo's

I tip when I get good service, fast. That has become routine now, which is a good thing.

Southboundsuarez likes this.
  6. Shuster

Shuster Poster Extraordinaire

Could you have a talk with my Over tipping Wife!!! You give me cr*p service, I gotta a dime for your trouble, the Wife will tip ya 10.00 bucks,,
    ,,,,o_O palm face!

beagle likes this.
  7. rolandson

rolandson Tele-Holic Silver Supporter

I'm my own tech. Spouse would be very disappointed with me if I were to tip myself on top of the exorbitant prices I charge.

beagle likes this.
  8. teleplayr

teleplayr Tele-Afflicted

I tip myself with a smile.

9. getbent

getbent Telefied Silver Supporter

I was remodeling my house 20 years ago (just as craft beer was getting going) and I couldn't do all the work myself (too busy at work) so I hired a couple of guys to help and they were awesome... anyway, I brought home a couple of six packs of some good beer and gave it to them and they recoiled as if insulted, then they laughed and said, 'oh man, we don't drink no skunky beer' and I kind of froze... then I said, "ahhhh, okay." I took the beer back (yay for me) and the next day brought home two 18 packs of budlight and they LOVED it.

I have done the 'keep the change' thing a few times... or 'it isn't much, but get a beer on the way home' kinda thing.

10. CK Dexter Haven

CK Dexter Haven Friend of Leo's

No.. Tradesmen set their own value, and in this area, it is unusual to find anyone who will do anything for less than $100 per hour. I object to the whole “ tipping” culture, it’s simply away to shift the cost of doing business to the patron and the employee. I avoid patronizing such businesses when possible.

I do believe in a thoughtful gift if a person or small firm has been especially helpful over the course of the year.

beagle and MilwMark like this.
  11. Southboundsuarez

Southboundsuarez TDPRI Member

I do amp tech work on a limited by appointment basis. I have an actual commercial suite, that myself and my guitar tech friend both share for shop space.
    I have never solicited for clients. All are repeat customers or friends of friends friends.
    I enjoy working on amps and consider myself more of a hobbyist than a business. I dont believe that there is a shortage of techs in my area, but I do believe that it is difficult to find techs that are very affordable, personable and willing to be flexible.
    These traits seem to work very positively for me.
    I may not be as greatly talented as some of the very notable techs in my area but I am also much more approachable and less of a primadonna.
    I have a usual flat rate based price that covers almost all repairs plus 20% markup on all parts. I purchase basic part inventory wholesale but also buy needed parts on order by retail too.
    I know that that my prices are very cheap. But I dont think that is the only reason I am getting so much business as I am getting! I keep a pretty full plate whenever I want it..... I enjoy having the guys come in and hang out. I like listening to them show me their chops and we always have an opportunity to learn from each other.... A very informal and casual laid back experience. It is often that we have a pizza ordered or take a lunch. I never expect a free meal and in most instances even when I insist to pick up the tab, someone else will beat me to the pocketbook.
    I really do this as a hobby and to socialize with and get the chance to meet some great talented people. It puts me on the inside track and I get to rub shoulders with the pros. I kinda look thru the bent back tulips.
    It seems that it is very common that most all exchanges that take place involve receiving more money than I ask for,,, It is appreciated. I know I am am more than reasonable but i never expect more than what is agreed upon. I do alot of favors and give alot to people who are cool. I think that cool people attract cool people and I am lucky to have so many cool people that want to come and see me.... Luckily there is plenty of work to do and I am not taking too big a bite or competing with other techs and taking food off their tables,,,, but then from the stories I hear and some of the work thats been done or not done, being a dick doesnt seem to be a cool way to keep cool clients.
    I enjoy the social contacts and the many comps and gifts that this endeavor has brought to me.
    I am also very grateful to the patience of so many have for me, when I have to take time away from their repair to go work my real job schedule. This is another factor that reduces my price too! But in the end, I often hear keep the change..... thats NICE even if I dont really need it, playing around with some great gear and great people. Its the little things!

Last edited: Nov 20, 2019
    Silverface and kingofdogs1950 like this.
  12. chris m.

chris m. Poster Extraordinaire

"Cool people attract cool people".....words of wisdom, Southbound...

13. tery

tery Poster Extraordinaire

No tips when they stick out their hand with the palm up … I shake it .

14. Danjabellza

Danjabellza Friend of Leo's

Doctor feel good?

15. Silverface

Silverface Poster Extraordinaire Platinum Supporter

So you've never eaten in a restaurant?

I've been doing it on a limited referral basis since the 1970's work with about a dozen other techs - and it's VERY common, at least in L.A. Especially for rush jobs!

I tip the guy in the garage that actually DID the work (not the "salesman" who did nothing but write up the ticket), and have for years. I was a foreign car mechanic working thru college and got tips regularly, especially from Europeans who had relocated - they used to tip guys who pump gas in the UK.

I tip - or give "bonuses" - to plumbers, painters, handymen, landscapers - anyone who does service work and the results are extraordinary, expedited or beyond the expected quality level.

D'tar and kingofdogs1950 like this.
  16. stratoman1

stratoman1 Friend of Leo's

No but I take all of my guitars to him when I could get a lot of free setups at the store I buy at. He makes every guitar I bring him play feel like silk. Even it did take 3 weeks to get my last one back for just a setup

17. Silverface

Silverface Poster Extraordinaire Platinum Supporter

I don't expect "tips" and those 'tradesmen" I tip, tell to keep the change or give "bonuses" to don't ask for or expect it. I simply do it when I feel the work is "over and above" the estimate.I don't care if they set the price - if I feel it was service "over and above" I reward it.

telemnemonics likes this.
  18. keithb7

keithb7 Friend of Leo's

I will admit a few guys have tipped me. Especially the repeat customers. I’m no tube tech but I get by.

19. Milspec

Milspec Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

It is an interesting question and a topic that has always confused me. Some people we automatically tip and others we don't yet nobody really knows why.

My first rule has always been to tip not as a reward for a good job, but to encourage better future performance. This is especially true if it is the first time I have done business with the person and plan on coming back in the future. A large tip here will improve the odds they will remember you the next time and go the extra mile. Maybe they schedule you in sooner or work a little after closing time, but that tip is sure worth it when you get a little VIP treatment.

My second rule is to always tip those that can hurt you. That means your barber, the waitress, the cab driver, etc. Anyone that could make your life miserable if they wanted to, I tip healthy to stay healthy.

So, do I tip the tech? I guess I never have since I have been going to his shop for years, but I do give him a bottle of Bushmills whiskey for Christmas which he seems to appreciate.

20. trev333

trev333 Telefied Ad Free Member

My amp tech is a friend of mine and a guitar player... he knows tubes/SS inside out....

I look after him... last amp he fixed he mentioned his PC tower was shot... I bought him a second hand ex gov box that had fast gear in it, loads of memory and a big drive,,, and a usb stick to use his broadband in the workshop from his house on wifi.... he was rather happy...

I also had a load of pedal making resistors/caps/pots/circuit board etching gear I gave to him.... he loved that...

and I give him any cash we arranged on for the work.. parts/time etc.... he's a pensioner like me...

a good amp tech is GOLD.... be kind...:)

kingofdogs1950 likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.