Do you think second-hand gear prices will ever come back down?

Do you think second-hand gear prices will ever come back down?

• Yes, this is just crazy season right now

• No, there's just more demand these days and the high prices are here to stay

• I'm not sure

Results are only viewable after voting.

Boreas

Poster Extraordinaire
On eBay/Reverb, likely not due to high shipping and other selling fees. At the pawn shop or music store, perhaps. When a person with cash in hand is in your store, it is hard to sell them a used guitar for more than a new one with a warranty.

boris bubbanov

Tele Axpert
Ad Free Member
Come back down, relative to what?

If the buying power of various currencies continues to sag, then no, at least when measured in US Dollars, the number won't come down. The question instead will be, will a so and so 6 string electric from 2005 be equivalent to 20 bottles of decent Tequila, and stay at 20 bottles or will it fall to the trade value of 14 bottles of this same Tequila?

Mike Eskimo

Telefied
Ad Free Member
It took a global p******c to make this happen.

But the numbers are not in favor of prices remaining high on used and/or vintage.

There are not nearly as many young kids that have ANY interest or the income (especially the income) to absorb all the thousands and thousands of old guitars and amps that the boomers or their survivors will be selling in the very near future.

We’ve been over this before class…

It is hard for aging generations to realize that just because THEY like something and value something, it doesn’t mean the subsequent/younger generations will.

wrathfuldeity

Tele-Afflicted
In the past 3 months, I'm wondering if there is dis-inflation of non-essentials. Sure there is inflation of gas, food and some new items. But folks are letting go of some used gear...and wonder the reason...perhaps to cover debt and cost of living? Though noticed its not moving very fast as compared to 2 years ago. And recently there have been some very good gear for very reasonable prices compared to 2 years ago. There are a few local listings that I would have jumped on..."but do I really need it"...nah. And that's the point...methinks folks are starting to realize the question of "do I really need that." Today there is a piece of gear that rarely shows up, that I'm sure I'd be 110% happy with, even got the gear cash...but do I really need that, knowing full well at 63 yrs old, I or my kids would likely liquidate it 10-15 years.