Do you think second-hand gear prices will ever come back down?

Do you think second-hand gear prices will ever come back down?

• Yes, this is just crazy season right now

• No, there's just more demand these days and the high prices are here to stay

• I'm not sure

Results are only viewable after voting.

Milspec

Poster Extraordinaire
Silver Supporter
Not until new prices recede. There are so much gear floating around here now that there will be a glut of equipment for cheap again at some point, but that might take a few years by the looks of things.

The biggest problem is that nobody has disposable money these days thanks to inflation across the board, so they don't have the cash for used gear. Instead, they buy on credit for new gear. It is a terrible financial move, but the only way they can get new equipment.

radiocaster

Poster Extraordinaire
I've seen one pedal for sale on reverb at almost twice the last sold price. One was there for a year or something, and another seller recently popped up with the same price.

It's highly speculative and they don't really care about selling them.

That and real estate. Could be dangerous for the economy.

Friend of Leo's
I'd say a lot of the 'used' price increases (certainly outside the US) are down to the global supply issues with new/imported stock - regardless of Country of Origin.

Over here, guitar stores are just about getting back to 'normal' stock levels on American guitars/amps (amps have been less of a problem than guitars ime).
The situation with MiC/MiK/MiJ/Asia generally is still not good and regarding pedals is, imo, bad.
With most pedals at least relying on Chinese/SE Asia components if not builds it can still be difficult to try anything but a very limited set of options in local stores (I'm not out in the sticks here, with 4 major stores and at least half-a-dozen smaller ones nearby) let alone if you want to buy.

Lonn

Friend of Leo's
I’m still stunned that people are trying to get $500 for 20 year old Mexican Strats that cost barely 350 brand new. Mexican Strats do not go up in value lol. They say that a new one cost 8-900 and I remind them that the new Mexican Stratocasters aren’t anything like the ones they’re selling.

Texicaster

Friend of Leo's
Ad Free Member
A lot of it is myth....

I had a heck of a time last summer selling a WW Thin Skin Strat and Tele! Few bites at a reasonable starting ask of ~75% of list as both were out of stock at Wildwood. Low balled across the board! At one point tired of the entire affair I accepted an offer of ~50% of list! Guy came to see it and saw a small bit where the lacquer had scraped off. ~1" along the back edge...no wood damage. He literally started crying that is wasn't mint and couldn't possibly be happy with it! Similar experience with the Strat... I ended up getting 60% after selling for ~4 months....

Firearms were also at a premium and I had parts to a VERY popular one. I was in CA and checked the CA forum I frequent and there were supposedly people begging for these parts and paying over 100% of value! I advertised at ~75% just to off them and received zero inquiries.....

Point is there are rumors and everyone is asking more. May be selling when they don't have to so willing to sit on a high price. Plus there's always tire kickers who need to be weeded out. Show up with cash and see what happens....

beyer160

Poster Extraordinaire
Used gear prices will always track new gear prices at a 25% to 30% differential with one exception. If new gear quality slips, used gear value rises as it becomes more desirable than new. Collectible gear is different with prices governed by scarcity and desirability.
...the other exception is when new product isn't available. In that case you can charge a premium for scarcity (used gear going for new price when there's no new gear to be had).
I’m still stunned that people are trying to get $500 for 20 year old Mexican Strats that cost barely 350 brand new. Mexican Strats do not go up in value lol.
Of course they do. I used to buy used MIM Strats for $150, by January 2020 they were $300 even before That Which Shall Not Be Named threw the market into a tizzy. Original selling price is completely irrelevant, the only laws in a Free Market economic model are Supply and Demand.

BFcaster

Tele-Meister
I would think used gear prices will come down in a year or so, solely on the basis that many new players that bought gear a year or two ago to learn/try during the lock-downs will give up on the adventure and sell, the market will get so saturated with gear no one will buy at greater-than 'normal' used gear prices. Fender raising prices doesn't hurt the used-gear prices at the moment, but if new and used are both up in price, I think players with multiple guitars/gear (like me) will just enjoy what we have and not be glassy-eyed over the latest n' greatest. I'm no economist however.

sax4blues

Poster Extraordinaire
I don’t believe the “new players” will sell, I didn’t when I started and gave up. I just put the guitar in the back of a closet and didn’t look at for 25 years.

How much hobby or recreation stuff which you haven’t used in many years is in your house? I’ve been to many homes with guitars which are never played. My son has his drum kit which he hasn’t played in 6+ years and never talks about playing again. He was on national tours from 18-24. It just sits packed in his basement corner.

clayville

Tele-Meister
This is just an impression, but 15 years ago or so it was kind of fun to surf over to Chicago Music Exchange and see a pile of minty old Champs or ancient Gibson amps or Supro Spectators (and that's just the small vintage Amps I recall) even if they seemed to be priced about a third higher than the apparent going rate. Those guys made a good website, had the traffic, and were doing a good job of finding the good stuff.

And then CME made Reverb... and more or less suddenly everyone's asking prices skyrocketed. There seemed to be an army of flippers finding stuff on eBay and reselling on Reverb in the early days... until eBay dried up substantially and the sellers seemed to cut out the middlemen and migrated to Reverb themselves. Now Reverb sellers more or less set the asking value for everything used. The whole world seems to use it to decide what things are "worth" in the used market.

But that's history (as I perceived it) and yes: now supply chain issues and inflation in the New market is driving prices even higher in the used market over the last couple of years.

tfarny

Poster Extraordinaire
I'm not really sure the selling prices are super high for a lot of stuff. Asking prices are mostly high, yes.
I sold a basic model Eastman acoustic recently on CL, took a while to find a buyer and I priced it quite reasonably. I have an amp for sale at 60% of the new price, and have not got one hit on it.

ping-ping-clicka

Poster Extraordinaire
YEAH OF COURSE THEY WILL
AND SOMEDAY LITTLE BLACK LEGGED POISON DART HOPPIE FROGS ARE GOING TO FLY OUT OF MY BUTT.
aba82271ce3435b7139121a3140e4243.jpg

don't hold your breath, when we get around to deciding our unsustainable carbon foot print enjoys a down sizing, then it might happen.

scottser

Friend of Leo's
the market is nuts everywhere. i think it's exacerbated by retailers not carrying much stock and there being a bit more variety in the second hand market.
for example, about 3 years ago i traded a drum kit for a vintage premier elite set. the guy had it advertised online for at least 6 months for about 650e before i picked it up. it's a great kit, but due to the global unpleasantness it's not really had much gig action so yesterday before dinner i put it up for sale for 100e over what i paid. an hour later i have an offer for 700. it literally sold after one hour.
so i put another kit up for sale, non negotiable at 800. it has 9 people watching it and i expect an offer on it this week. if not, i'll take the ad down and happily keep it. it is a very good time to 'thin the herd', as they say.

what confuses me though is that the hospitality industry is on its pants over here; there are very few gigs to be had and musicians with full calendars have found themselves out of work as restrictions on venues have become more stringent. maybe it's a sign that things might be returning to normal? fingers crossed..

Lobomov

Friend of Leo's
Increased savings due to the pandemic, supply chain issue, no new gear in the shops etc etc etc

Demand is very high, supply is very low.

At some point the world is going to normalize, but well probably have to wait a couple of years .. I' guessing 2025 maybe?