Do you think it's rude for a restaurant to start packing things up from their buffet,

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by ZackyDog, Dec 17, 2015.

1. LeftyAl

LeftyAl Friend of Leo's

Still nothing from Bones.:eek:

2. beach bob

beach bob Friend of Leo's

Reminds me of Norm on Cheers, doing battle at The Hungry Heifer :D

Some comedic ideas never get old... I see The Simpsons did it with the Frying Dutchman. Kind of like the off-screen screaming mom, who weighs ??600lbs... Big Bang Theory has that one with Howard's mom. Married With Children had it too, 20 years ago. Funny then, funny now :lol:

Sorry for the OP's aggravation. The only buffet that I do is the breakfast one at the Hampton Inn or Comfort Inn. If it's a non-work related stay, I am always sleeping in, and I stumble down there 10min before they close up shop. They generally take pity on me ... different thing, I realize. It's probably just as hazardous vis-a-vis sneeze guards / old food / unsanitary diners...

Best not to think too much about that stuff, really. Wash your hands; don't freak out. Read Anthony Bourdain's Kitchen Confidential: you have already been subject to dozens of close calls, food-poisoning-wise, and have never been the wiser... You have been given an immune system... it works really well, for most healthy people. You don't even need to *do anything*; it's just there, fighting nasties off constantly, without your conscious input.

Happy holiday dining :twisted:

3. ZackyDog

ZackyDog Tele-Afflicted

I went out for sushi. I used to be a regular at this place, and the service and quality were always good.

It closed at 10:00 PM; when I arrived at 9:30 PM, the young man had already packed up the sushi bar and "greeted" me with an icy stare. (The same thing happened a few months ago.) He reluctantly offered to make me something, but I declined.

We can make excuses for him/them but to me, it's a poor way to do business. In a word, because of this young man, they S U C K.

4. Boyd

Boyd Tele-Afflicted

Geez, why don't you just go to dinner a little earlier or find a place that stays open later?

5. beach bob

beach bob Friend of Leo's

A) that would make too much sense.

2) and then we'd have nothing to talk about at the Bad Dog.

That is why :D

6. Boyd

Boyd Tele-Afflicted

Thanks, I knew there was a logical explanation! :D

7. studio

studio Poster Extraordinaire

That reminds me.......

The bars around here close at 2:00am........

But last call for alcohol is at 1:30am!

Do you Bitc....complain about that too?

8. studio

studio Poster Extraordinaire

That's cuz he owns a buffet restaurant!
    :rolleyes:

9. ZackyDog

ZackyDog Tele-Afflicted

OR----why don't they just stick to their published schedule?

10. william tele

william tele Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

I just don't understand your need for confrontation and drama. No reasonable person is going to walk into an establishment with 30 minutes of door lock time and expect the red carpet to be unrolled for them.

You are clearly seeking frustration.

11. ZackyDog

ZackyDog Tele-Afflicted

I directed that to Boyd (e.g. not you) yet, you accuse me of being confrontational. Who said anything about red carpet treatment? I just expect them to serve food during their published schedule.

12. -Hawk-

-Hawk- Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

In theory, I agree with you, Jay.

In practice, it rarely works that way. You are dealing with people that have a crap job and take home crap pay. You are extending their workday and it won't be appreciated.

I say that with the side note that I worked at places where you would have been treated well. It's a management issue, because the natural reaction of the employees will be to try to get you out the door. If the expectation exists that you will be treated just like a person that showed up at 6:30, you're more likely to get quality service and product.

13. william tele

william tele Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

When you make a statement in a forum I don't think it matters who you made it to. It was a statement...I made an observation. The original post seemed like a happenstance. The fact that you ignored everything that was said in this thread...then did the same thing all over again exposes who the problem actually lies with.

I predict that if you keep going to restaurants at 30 minutes before door lock you will continue to be frustrated...:lol:

14. 64Strat

64Strat Friend of Leo's Vendor Member

I remember years ago, I was taken out to some fine dining, by 3 people I know and did a lot of business with. This was BIG business worth millions upon millions of $'s. As a thank you, they took me to a really nice French restaurant. We had a couple of bottles of Dom, some really nice Bordeaux's and the usual relaxed 5 or 6 course meal. It was fabulous! we topped it off with some assorted cheese and fruit with some fine vintage Port. We were the last ones there. The wait staff and one of the owners took really good care of us and never once made a gesture or leer that we were there, WAY past closing time. It was after midnight and our table of 4 were invited to a tour of the kitchen while they were cleaning up and met some of the Chef's (actually French guys!) that could barely speak English and then we got a tour of the wine cellar. They were super pleased to show us around and I have to say again, the food was fantastic. Pinnacle of the culinary world stuff.

I didn't pay the bill, nor was I expected to and I didn't see the bill, it was all handled very discreetly.... but later I found out that this little soiree cost over $300/head.... before gratuity. Half of that had to be the wines. This was in the early 90's, so almost $600/head, in 2015 dollars.

The point being, if you're eating at a buffet, don't expect much. But if you are spending large at a fine restaurant, restaurant close times go out the window and the care of customers is on a completely different level.

Expectations should always be commensurate to the situation.

Have you ever read Anthony Bourdain's first book, Kitchen Confidential? It gives a good overview of just how hard the restaurant world is, the preparation is during the day and how hard the kitchen works during peak hours. Their day is from basically, early in the morning, to late at night. 15 - 16 hour days. Brutal!! and usually, for minimum wage. Most people can't hack it.

15. Boyd

Boyd Tele-Afflicted

Exactly.

You felt rushed when you arrived 45 minutes before closing. Then you go to another place 30 minutes before closing and expect a better experience?

16. kookaburra

kookaburra Tele-Afflicted

I was at a bar that had a free food buffet. I went into the can, there was a guy at the urinal taking a leak, and eating a chicken wing.

Ya. That was it for me.

17. kookaburra

kookaburra Tele-Afflicted

*rim shot*

18. KevinB

KevinB Doctor of Teleocity

I remember dinners like that too. At one Northern Italian restaurant that we went to quite regularly, a client entertained 16 of us in the private wine cellar with a 12 course meal with 12 different wines. He not only paid the bill but laid on limos for each guest to get us all home. Those were the days!

And then came the dot-com crash! :eek:

19. Larry F

Larry F Doctor of Teleocity Vendor Member

In the early 1970s, my band played a high school prom in Valsetz, Oregon. It doesn't exist anymore, as it was a town owned by a lumber company, who later burned it to the ground. We had to travel by gravel road for the last 5 miles. When we got there, we went to the town's gas station/restaurant. They had just turned off the grill and were closing the restaurant. I hated when someone's dad would travel with us, as they were just of an entirely different mindset. In this case, the dad raised a storm, saying that we had traveled 200 miles to play a gig in a few hours, and we deserved to have a hot meal. That was not the way we did things on our own. We didn't expect special treatment and were pretty comfortable making do with whatever situation we encountered. Thanks to this doofus, the waitress and cook had to stay an extra half hour, when I would have been just as happy with a bag of chips and a coke. Even then, I liked to go through life without butting against people who inconvenienced me, although that was not their intention.

20. 64Strat

64Strat Friend of Leo's Vendor Member

Yep! From the 70's through the 90's, we lived large. I'm still fairly high up in corporate America but those fine dining days are long gone, unless I do it on my own nickel (which is occasionally).

We still have some nice business meals but nothing remotely close to how we used to do it.

Which brings up another topic... Martini lunches. And... I can remember this time of the year, getting gifts from suppliers that were bottles of good liquor at work. At the company Christmas party, we would go in an office and close the door and have some adult beverages, then recirculate... at work. Nobody cared or was it thought to be wrong to do. We weren't in danger of getting fired, as long as you didn't do anything stupid.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.