1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Do You Think a Mid Control is Necessary?

Discussion in 'Amp Central Station' started by Dan_Pomykalski, Sep 29, 2020.

1. Dan_Pomykalski

Dan_Pomykalski Tele-Meister

? I don’t think anyone is saying otherwise?

2. Dan_Pomykalski

This is more or less what I do. I start with the treble and bass on 0 because the tone curve is pretty much flatish at that point with some emphasis on the treble. I turn the bass up until it sounds good, then the treble to get rid of the mud.

G.Rotten likes this.
  3. Dan_Pomykalski

I don’t think 4 on a 10k pot would be 6.8k... 4 on the mid control would probably be between like 1.5k and 3.5k depending on the taper of the pot.

Last edited: Sep 30, 2020
  4. Dan_Pomykalski

I definitely agree. I think the treble control has the most effect (probably because that’s the control that’s controlling the signal the most).

Tornado likes this.
  5. Dan_Pomykalski

Okay, but if the mids are already close to max with a fixed resistor, why would you need a mid control? Unless you’re trying to get less mids, which it does ‘t sound like you are?

6. Frodebro

Frodebro Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

There are a lot of variables at work here, so there isn't an easy answer. I don't always have the midrange cranked, but I do tend to keep it fairly high. But it's easier to have one knob to adjust than than having to back off on the treble & bass, then increase the volume to compensate.

7. G.Rotten

G.Rotten Tele-Afflicted

Alternate question. If I want to to affect the level of mids & stay relatively close to the volume I'm at, why would I want to tweak three non mid frequency knobs?

8. Dan_Pomykalski

I gotchu.

9. Dan_Pomykalski

Because you think that’s worth the trade off of less knobs overall, duuuuuh.

In my amps where the pots are functioning correctly, I don’t really notice a huge change in volume while using the treble and bass controls except for when the treble control is close to maxed. I think usually the mid control has the most affect on the volume of the three tone controls. I’m pretty sure if treble and bass are set to 0, the volume goes up and down with the mid pot in a typical BF/SF tone stack.

10. Frodebro

Most of my amps are Mesas-I ain't afraid of knobs! :lol:

zephyrR1 and Dan_Pomykalski like this.
  11. Dan_Pomykalski

Hahaha.

12. Frodebro

Oh, and the midrange control on a Mark series tone stack does more than affect the midrange frequencies, so that takes the discussion even further into the weeds...

Dan_Pomykalski likes this.
  13. G.Rotten

G.Rotten Tele-Afflicted

I'm on the side the fence that likes flexibility. Less knobs equals less options or more work to achieve what I want.

I'd like to see more amps with Contours/Presence, Pre & Post volumes & then the hated Master Volume. I bought a Fender Red Knob Twin because it was a tube amp with all those features. Unfortunately I just don't like the overdrive sound. I wish my Hot Rod DeVille had all those options. At least it has a Mid.

14. G.Rotten

G.Rotten Tele-Afflicted

Him you got?

15. Dan_Pomykalski

The next amp I build is only going to have a treble and bass control. Not even a volume just to spite you. I’ll call it the g.rotten.

Edit: actually it’s going to have resistors instead of any pots at all. And the tubes will be soldered into the sockets. The speaker will also be soldered directly to the OT.

G.Rotten likes this.
  16. Ebidis

Ebidis Tele-Afflicted

Yes.

17. Wallaby

Wallaby Friend of Leo's

I like it on the amp I have that has it, but I also like my other amps that don't, including one that has only a "tone" knob.

If it's there, I'll use it. It's useful.

18. G.Rotten

G.Rotten Tele-Afflicted

If you wire it like my 75 Twin Reverb (minus the mid control) then you don't need a volume. If I turn all 3 down on that amp I get radio silence.

In an earlier post I said I've never had a 2 tone control amp. Every amp I've ever wanted happened to have all 3 & I use all 3. As I said I like having options.

1. I'm assuming My Twin is stock & functioning properly. I don't actually use it, I just always wanted one.

2. I assume other BF & SF designs function similar to my Twin but without Mid control. Even if I'm 100% wrong in that assumption I still want a Mid control for adjusting Mid frequencies. I don't care if an amp has 40 knobs as long as it does what I want. I'm that guy who has 3 Fender tube amps from 3 different decades & misses being able to use his Johnson Millenium on stage. I think that statement puts us at polar opposites on the amp scale.

My aging Johnson makes me wonder if I can keep it up on stage for an entire performance. This is my sixth Johnson & I have a stack of dead Johnsons in my basement to be donors. If you saw my amp settings on that Johnson you would cringe. All the mids are cranked. I used to get compliments on my tone. Now that I'm back to Fender amps I don't.

All kidding aside, it's tough going back to a 2 trick pony & now I'm becoming a pedal junkie. Without ever even trying a 2 tone amp I cringe.

That's not entirely true. I babysat a friend's legit 60's SF Vibro Champ for about a year. I hated it (except the Vibro part) which was pretty lucky for him. I mean it did one thing really really well (2 with the Vibro), just don't like things that only do one thing.

Even if it's a dig it'd be cool to have my name on something. Lol.

Feel free to use "Stack of Dead Johnsons" for a new band name.

Last edited: Sep 30, 2020
  19. loopfinding

loopfinding Friend of Leo's

Oops yeah. Maybe something like 33-56k is more appropriate.

20. El Marin

El Marin Friend of Leo's

Yes I do

That's why I don't like the Deluxe Reverb amp

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.