1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Do You Think a Mid Control is Necessary?

Discussion in 'Amp Central Station' started by Dan_Pomykalski, Sep 29, 2020.

1. Dan_Pomykalski

Dan_Pomykalski Tele-Meister

It depends on how the single tone knob is implemented. Most amps with a single tone control are tweed style tone controls, which I’m not a huge fan of. I’m a big fan of the single knobbed Supro Thunderbold/Big Muff tone control though.

Fiesta Red likes this.
  2. Fiesta Red

Fiesta Red Poster Extraordinaire

No, it’s a P-90 armadillo.

3. Dan_Pomykalski

That armadillo is a pickup? That’d need a crazy route...

Also, how hot is that P-90? I bet you could fit an incredible amount of coil on that thing...

Fiesta Red likes this.
  4. loopfinding

loopfinding Tele-Afflicted

I don't like the mid control, it's too much to fuss with. What I prefer is bass and treble, and then some sort of scheme where the mids either are flat (like on most tweeds) or scooped (like on a blackface or marshall). The two-knob style non-stack in the tweed era (like in the bandmaster) will produce a scoop at some settings. On a blackface you can switch in the value of the mid resistor to something stupid like 100k to get a flatter mid response. Gets the job done and not much to think about.

Dan_Pomykalski likes this.
  5. Jakedog

Jakedog Telefied Ad Free Member

Then why don’t they have any mids? I’m not being a smartass, I honestly don’t understand how if this is true, they can be so scooped out and empty sounding. Or is it just that they completely over emphasize bass and treble frequencies so it appears that they have no mids?

6. loopfinding

The higher the resistance of the mid resistor, the less leak to ground. Like I said in my post, stick a 100k or 220k or something in there and the scoop is barely there. 6.8k is scooping a fair amount. Even Marshall and Vox scoop a fair amount of mid too. For real deal uncompensated mid you usually have to look to the 50s.

Last edited: Sep 30, 2020
  7. David Barnett

David Barnett Doctor of Teleocity

The two-knob BF stack is like a 3-knob one with the Middle turned up to about "4", not maxed.

Except on a Champ, which has larger resistor (15K) and a bit more mid.

loopfinding likes this.
  8. Marc Morfei

Marc Morfei Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

Maybe, but the Pro Jr and 5e3 both have a single tone control, and those amps both crank pretty good.

9. loopfinding

the single tone is all you need for single coils, but it’s just a mudfest with neck humbuckers. count me as a hater of the BMP control though.

10. Marc Morfei

Marc Morfei Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

It's weird, I have a PRRI and I never thought it sounded all that scooped. I keep the bass & treble around 4/5 and it always sounded great to me, especially with a couple pedals in front. But just last week I got a 5e3, and holy **** it's night and day, the mids punch you in the face. I said oh, now I get it, that's what everybody means by "scooped."

11. Jimclarke100

Jimclarke100 Tele-Afflicted

The amp I play most is a Champ clone. I’ll have to say a mid control isn’t needed the amp; Nor is a bass; nor a treble.

12. G.Rotten

G.Rotten Tele-Afflicted

So let's say I have a new amp or an old amp in a new place & I want to fine tune my sound.

With either a 2 control or a 3 control I will likely start with the tone controls in the middle of their adjustments, set the volume to what's appropriate & then start tweaking.

If you're me odds are you want more Mid. On a 3 control I turn up the Mid.

On a two control I turn down some Treble & turn down some Bass then turn up the volume to compensate.

I've never owned a 2 tone amp but AFAIK that would be the process, yes?

I haven't been actively avoiding amps that don't have a Mid control but I've never been using my Mid control & thinking to myself "Gee, I wish this was harder".

Last edited: Sep 30, 2020
  13. Kevin Wolfe

Kevin Wolfe Tele-Holic

Same here!

14. RadioFM74

RadioFM74 Friend of Leo's

I'm pretty happy with the Treble and Bass of my BF amp, and even with the simple roll-off tone control on my old Epiphone amp. Actually happier than I'd be with a miss control… too many variables ;D

15. Tornado

Tornado Tele-Meister

It can be usefull, and you don't have to use it. But I must say that a treble control to me is the most important. On most amps I don't feel I have to dial off or enhance the bass control or the mid control if it is there..

16. Frodebro

Frodebro Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

Leo Fender was obsessed with pristine cleans, and the BF amps were the result of this. Earlier Fenders had much more prominent midrange, but also got dirty pretty easily.

The downside is that, although the cleans were all nice and sparkly, the guitar is a midrange-voiced instrument and taking away the midrange makes it harder for the guitar to find its place in a mix.

I was all about scooped mids and gnarly, head banging metal tonez until I started working in a band, and that was when I discovered that the most important knob on your amp is the one labelled "MID". That is also when I discovered that less distortion is better.

JRapp, drewg and Jakedog like this.
  17. G.Rotten

G.Rotten Tele-Afflicted

Exactly!!!!

Thank you.

Frodebro likes this.
  18. David Barnett

David Barnett Doctor of Teleocity

ThermionicScott and loopfinding like this.
  19. Dan_Pomykalski

It’s largely because of how the circuit’s designed. Read Rob Robinette’s page on how the TMB tone stack works. I If you replaced the 6.8k resistor with like a 1k resistor, you’d definitely notice that there are less mids than there normally are (which seems ridiculous, I know).

Jakedog likes this.
  20. Dan_Pomykalski

At that point you might as well just remove the tone stack all together and just put in a single coupling cap. Once you get past like 50kish, the bass and treble controls don’t do anything anymore.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.