1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Do You Think a Mid Control is Necessary?

Discussion in 'Amp Central Station' started by Dan_Pomykalski, Sep 29, 2020.

1. TokyoPortrait

TokyoPortrait Friend of Leo's

Hi.

Some of my best moments on TDPRI have been when I've misread the thread title.

Get thee behind me, satin. And polyurethane...

Pax/
    Dean

Frodebro, Jakedog and AlbertaGriff like this.
  2. fretWalkr

fretWalkr Tele-Meister

I use Fender and Mesa amps. A Mid control is a must have for me. I've heard that a BF with the mid set on 4 is about the same as a BF circuit with a fixed mid. That sounds about right to me.

When I'm dialing in a sound I'll freely move the mid around. Generally I put the mids on 10 to get more of a tweedy, fat, "brown" sound. I set it around 4 or 0 for a scooped mids classic BF sound. Give me an amp with mids and I'm happy.

3. Veitchy

Veitchy Tele-Afflicted

I'm a bit weird in that on paper I'd always state that I'd prefer a mid control. That said, in terms of amps I like to play I tend to skew towards smaller combos, at least with Teles. Most fenders and Vox ACs don't have a mid control, though I reckon the cut on the Vox can also emphasize/attenuate some upper mids to my ears.

I guess I like a mid control but I've learned to work around it's absence as well.

4. Jakedog

Jakedog Telefied Ad Free Member

You’re right. I mixed it up with something else. Bassman maybe? They’ve never sounded good when I plugged into em, so I never paid much attention to em. My bad.

5. Anacharsis

Anacharsis Tele-Holic

One thing I like about my Blues Cube Hots, Nextone Stage, Jazz Choruses, and THR100HD is that they have tone stacks that aren't really the same as those on more traditional amps. The TMB controls are flexible in a wide but usable range, and I can really dial them in. For me, they're more useful, and the presence control on the THR and the Nextone is a nice bonus as well.

6. adjason

adjason Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

don't need it - have a deluxe reverb without it and super reverb with it etc.

7. jimbo735

jimbo735 Tele-Afflicted

I bypassed the whole tone circuit once on my Silver face Twin Reverb,OMG who needs Tone controls What a Beast!:lol:

dlaroe likes this.
  8. EsquireOK

EsquireOK Poster Extraordinaire

I like a mid control — two of them, ideally. It’s great to be able to have a separate knob for low mid and high mid. But that’s generally something you only see on bass amps, and even then, it’s not the norm.

But do I “need” one? No. My main amp for decades didn’t have one. In fact, all it had was a single band “tone“ knob, which was a treble control.

I didn’t necessarily need the utmost in versatility from that amp. But if I did, I would want as many tone knobs as feasible. If thought the tone controls were lacking, I would want a graphic EQ, preferably built into the amp, but if not, an external one.

To this day, IMO some of the best tone controls ever included on amps were the old Ampeg controls with the rocker switches.

Last edited: Sep 29, 2020
    drewg and JRapp like this.
  9. Ricky D.

Ricky D. Doctor of Teleocity

I don't need a mid control at all. Don't need a treble control. Don't need a bass control. I leave the tone knob on 12 most of the time. I do like a bright channel or bright switch.

Tweed Deluxe all the way. Fat beautiful clear cleans and that vicious overdrive. I get just what I want and I don't have to fool with ten knobs to get it.

Fiesta Red and Marc Morfei like this.
  10. Telecastoff1

Telecastoff1 Tele-Afflicted

On my amps that don't have a mid control, I learn to live and play without it. But most of mine do have a mid control and I just find it easier to tweak what I really need at the time....usually in small bits and pieces. But there IS a difference.

11. Whoa Tele

Whoa Tele Friend of Leo's

Love Mid controls on my amps. Especially Blackface circuits. I can scoop em' or fatten em' up as needed.

12. Fiesta Red

Fiesta Red Poster Extraordinaire

Nope. No Mid control needed.

460FE977-63B7-4500-83AF-7B84F05C9135.jpeg BFEC7EDF-19A4-4673-A4D9-CA34E378B40B.jpeg BD13A518-7E16-4BB1-8D94-79C6BA3ADD4B.jpeg

Greggorios, hotrodkid and Ricky D. like this.
  13. Dan_Pomykalski

Dan_Pomykalski Tele-Meister

Fiesta Red likes this.
  14. Dan_Pomykalski

This is my thought as well. Less mids in a BF/SF tone stack doesn’t seem like something most people would be after.

15. Dan_Pomykalski

I’m not really sure I understand your point about me conflating two issues.

3 o’clock on the mid knob would be less mids than the stock fixed value of 6.8k, which would pretty much sound the same as a mid knob all the way up, depending on the pot’s taper.

16. Dan_Pomykalski

I’ve done this a few times as well, but found myself always using the stock value.

17. Dan_Pomykalski

The fixed value resistor in BF/SF amps is 6.8k, which would sound pretty similar to a mid pot, which is usually a 10k pot, all the way up. This is why I’m wondering why someone would feel it’s necessary, since a mid control would really only allow someone to scoop the mids even more than they already are.

18. Dan_Pomykalski

An amp with a typical BF/SF tone stack has a fixed resistor of 6.8k, which would basically be like having the mid control maxed.

19. Fretting out

Fretting out Poster Extraordinaire

I prefer a 3 band eq

I can’t stand amps that just have a single “tone” knob

hotrodkid and WalthamMoosical like this.
  20. Frodebro

Frodebro Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

I don't "need" any of my guitars or amps, but I sure as hell do need a midrange control...

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.