1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Do You Think a Mid Control is Necessary?

Discussion in 'Amp Central Station' started by Dan_Pomykalski, Sep 29, 2020.

1. Treehouse

Treehouse Tele-Meister

It’s just one more adjustment for me to screw up.

2. Wally

Wally Telefied Ad Free Member

The Formula does have two distinct channels with one being based in the AB763 world with almost the same stack values which the other channel is based on a takeoff of the tweed Bassman—-which evolved into the high gain JCM 800 Marshalls, SLOs, PV5150, Boogie Rectifiers, Fender Pro Sonic, Blues/Hot Rod amps, etc. That channel uses tone stack values similar to the 5F6A/early Marshall amps.
    It is interesting to note that many techs with a lot of experience with old 5F6A amps have noted that Fender did not always if ever use those values shown on the schematic, but Marshall copied that schematic. In fact, when you go looking for the first Marshall schematic, you will find a 5F6A schematic.

Greggorios and artdecade like this.
  3. Paul G.

Paul G. Friend of Leo's

Nah. If an amp sounds good, I'm good.

Not a knob twiddler, more of a dial it in and go guy. In a tone stack amp, if I "need" more mids I'm happy with turning down the treble knob.

On an amp with just a treble cut knob, there's always enough juicy mids.

I should mention that I don't play with distortion.

Telecasterless and Greggorios like this.
  4. ScottJPatrick

ScottJPatrick Friend of Leo's

Don't currently own an amp with a mid control but when I have Boogie's I tend to turn the mid down to zero, then bring it up until you can just hear a difference, usually about 3. Treble generally set to 7 and bass on 5, prescence on 7 if it has one. Those are my go to settings for Boogie's, tweak it slightly from there. I know the controls on the Boogie's are interactive but this works well for my purposes.

JIMMY JAZZMAN likes this.
  5. G.Rotten

G.Rotten Tele-Afflicted

I'm right there with you.

I'm not an expert in tone. I really don't know what I'm doing but I know when I like what I'm doing.

Whatever it is that's actually going on in an amp I don't really care. IMO cutting Bass or Treble is not the same as boosting Mids. I find if there is too much Bass in my sound I fight the actual Bass for air space. Too much Treble sounds harsh or ice picky. I run almost as much Mid as I can, I'm heard in addition to the Bass without making anyone's ears bleed.

6. bftfender

bftfender Poster Extraordinaire

yes..there is a thing called cleans in the song i was doing, Sure was in for the rest of the song. And sure do use it on then flip it off for the 2nd take. Instant mix spread with a flick of a switch,

7. FenderLover

FenderLover Poster Extraordinaire

If that amp is a Fender type, the most mid it can get is flat, with a considerable loss in signal level. There goes the drive for your second stage. For cleans, cool. For leads, not so much. Better to leave it scooped and step on a pedal for mids.

Marc Morfei likes this.
  8. fasteddie42

fasteddie42 Tele-Afflicted

super reverbs have a mid knob.

9. JRapp

JRapp Tele-Holic

Yes, the 250/.02./02/56K stack. I have done that to a few 60s Fenders with mixed results. It's sortakinda tweedish but certainly different from stock. Alternately, I may just bump that 6.8K up to 15K or a little more. If I could get an E series stack in there I'd like that.

Wally likes this.
  10. Peegoo

Peegoo Poster Extraordinaire

Different people hear things differently. If you prefer the tone shaping a mid control gives you--then the answer for you is a resounding YES. If you love the sound you get from your two-knob Fender tone stack, then it's NO.

Individual hearing is all that counts. Ever encountered anyone that claimed they LOVE LOVE LOVE Roy Buchanan's usual tone? Very few people do.

I'm convinced Roy had a different set of ears that made the piercing ice-pick tone sound pleasing to him, because he used it a lot. I saw him play about 10 different times in the 80s (Chick Hall's Surf Club, anyone?) and he never had a mid-rangy or bassy tone. It was always pretty prickly, especially when he turned up for a solo.

BajoMano and Wally like this.
  11. 11 Gauge

11 Gauge Doctor of Teleocity

They sure do (on the vibrato channel, anyway), and IMO it's one of the things that makes them so great, along with four 10s.

black_doug likes this.
  12. JRapp

JRapp Tele-Holic

It also has a .02 mid cap as opposed to the usual .047 cap---more mids.

13. Wally

The question then becomes what value is the pot that you are setting at 5-5.5?

14. Wally

I suspect he had hearing loss on the high end. I also suspect that he learn3d playing on tweeds amps, and he got used tomdim8ng everything. In those, you can run the tone controls anywhere you want at any volume level. With the AB763 circuit, the tones need to come down if you push volume...especially the highs and lows.
    I hear that prickly high end in Jerry Garcia’s electric playing as well.

Actually, that smaller midrange cap reduces a certain part of the midrange. I would guess that reduction come in the lower midrange.

Peegoo likes this.
  15. schmee

schmee Doctor of Teleocity

Yeah, the standard BF Fender setup for a mid control.

16. David Barnett

David Barnett Doctor of Teleocity

Every Super rEVERB has at least one Mid control:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Jakedog likes this.
  17. David Barnett

David Barnett Doctor of Teleocity

Did you ever see him when he was using the Guild tele with EMGs, and JC120 amps? I did, and he managed to achieve new levels of ice-pick with that rig.

Peegoo likes this.
  18. dlaroe

dlaroe Tele-Meister

I'd rather have a mid control than a volume control. In fact I modded my Champion 600 RI to do just that.

I do enjoy the BF scooped mids tone stack but I really like amps that have a mid boost switch or pull knob to mostly defeat it or an Allen amps style Raw control to dial some of it out.

19. hotrodkid

hotrodkid Tele-Afflicted

For me, plugged straight into a Fender - YES.
    If running a tube screamer out in front - NO.
    But that’s just me for a Texas Blues tone.

20. black_doug

black_doug Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

I wouldn’t say it’s a must-have but I like it. My Dr. Z Z-28 has only bass and treble. It’s a different tone stack from most amps.

I recently bought a Marshall Studio Classic after not owning a Marshall for twenty years. I like how I can adjust the mid knob to zero when I what that clean, mid scooped sound.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.