Do You Still Tip When Delivery is Hours Late?

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by tele-rain, Feb 28, 2020.

1. Count

Count Friend of Leo's

No, never, tipping here in Oz is seen as insulting to the recipient, it somehow implies that they are of a lower status than you, servant class. That's why in cafes etc you will be addressed as mate by the wait person rather than sir or madam.

stormsedge, Asmith and Milspec like this.
  2. Milspec

Milspec Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

I like the way you think...should be that way everywhere.

stormsedge likes this.
  3. Jim622

Jim622 Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

Your already there and have to wait. Pick up your axe, take advantage of the time.

Lake Placid Blue likes this.
  4. trev333

trev333 Telefied Ad Free Member

I remember back in the 60's when our first b&w TV arrived. It was after dark, a man arrived and Dad helped him carry the big box in.
    then they fussed about plugging it in to the antenna dad had set up on the roof and tuning it for signal.

One of those WOW moments for a kid...:eek:o_O:D

Before the tv guy was ready to leave I saw dad give him a 2 Pound note while getting some paperwork and thanked him ..

I always thought dad had only paid 2 quid for a TV... sweet...:)

Probably the only time I've seen the old man ever tip anyone.:lol:..though it was cool on reflection that he slipped the guy a few bucks for dropping over after hours, probably the right thing to do..;)

stormsedge and Chunkocaster like this.
  5. stantheman

stantheman Doctor of Teleocity

In The Auto Parts business a “non-tipper” owns “the kiss of death” - regardless of which company you drive for we all get our coffee at the same place and word spreads quickly when it’s rotors or a cv axel and especially a huge return...
    In other words - “Wednesday at the earliest.”:eek::lol::D

The Countermen know that’s how we make our money and they have our backs.

Nightclub Dwight and Milspec like this.
  6. Chunkocaster

Chunkocaster Poster Extraordinaire

Tipping is not really a thing here. We have a basic minimum wage that you can supposedly live ok on. The there are a few steps in wages up from that you can supposedly live ok on too. Due to the over inflated cost of everything here you cant really live well on any of the pre determined wages so tipping would just send everyone broke.

The guys at the top of the heap that set those low wages have no conscience so the thought of tipping rarely occurs to them. If tipping started happening more often they would probably introduce a 2 year expensive course on how to tip and you would be required to pay a annual licence fee to tip according to whatever conditions they make up.

Of course you would need to declare all your tips obtained throughout the year and they would be taken away from you to cover the new tipping tax.

Last edited: Feb 29, 2020
    Lake Placid Blue and Tonetele like this.
  7. sixstringbastard

sixstringbastard Friend of Leo's

The entire rest of the world is right when it comes to tipping.

Wallo Tweed likes this.
  8. DougM

DougM Friend of Leo's

It's different there than in the US, where we have a $7.25 national minimum wage, which is higher in some states, and lower in others (I don't know how they get around the federal rate). But, people in the food service industry are expected to make tips, so the national minimum wage for them is $2.15, and once again, is higher in some states, but always lower than the standard minimum wage in that state, because the govt. expects them to make up the difference in tips. This might work in fancy places with a lot of traffic and clientele, especially since the tip is calculated as a percentage of the total, usually 15-20%, but on the graveyard shift in a hash house, not so much, if at all.

Last edited: Mar 1, 2020
  9. Torren61

Torren61 Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

Yes. Here's my tip: Get my delivery to me at the expected and agreed upon time and I'll give you additional money on top of your wage to show my appreciation for simply doing your job. Get it here late, for whatever reason other than you saved someone's life on the way over here, and you just get your normal wage with no additional gratuity (gratitude, thanks).

10. DougM

DougM Friend of Leo's

Blaming the worker for being late is pretty stupid, since the corporate higher ups no doubt expect unreasonable delivery schedules, and I'm sure schedule far more deliveries per day than is actually feasable, at least within the time frame promised. I work in retail, and the corporate heads, most of whom never worked in a store, and went straight from college into their ivory towers, make up all kinds of rules and expectations that are not only impossible in the real world, but many of which are downright stupid and actually hurt productivity, yet they expect it all on a shoestring budget, because the less spent servicing the customer, the bigger their bonuses.

11. Tonetele

Tonetele Poster Extraordinaire

As Chunkocaster said tipping is not done here. Wages are better ( minimum $19.95 for service industry jobs and checkout people) and everything is expensive in Australia- we couldn't afford to tip.

Chunkocaster likes this.
  12. dickey

dickey Tele-Afflicted

If the service sux, they don't get GATZ from me!

13. wulfenganck

wulfenganck Tele-Holic

Must be a cultural/country difference - I usually don't tip UPS etc. delivery guys for handing out one or two parcels and I don't think it's common in Germany in general.
    I usually give tips and prvide some beverage for workers delivering and setting up really heavy stuff like furniture or a kitchen.
    I also try to get the mailman, thy guys from the garbage collection and my usual parcel service delivery guy to give them a handshake and a tip around christmas.
    But that's it.

trev333 likes this.
  14. wulfenganck

wulfenganck Tele-Holic

Pretty much the same in Germany - our minimum wage is a bit higher, but especially service personel in restaurants rely lot on tips. It's not a strict 10% or 20% rule as in the USA (IIRC), but it's seen as common habit giving a tip, often by simply rounding up (like 40,- instead of 37,50).
    I think there was only one time where I didn't give a tip to a waiter and that was probably the worst dinner I ever had....I was able to drag my girlfriend outside, before she started yelling the really insulting stuff when we left, but I'd rather had my hand cut of, than giving a tip to that incompetent idiot.

15. stormsedge

stormsedge Tele-Afflicted Gold Supporter

That's interesting...I worked auto parts for six years and we wouldn't take tips...must be a regional thing.

16. jackal

jackal Friend of Leo's Gold Supporter

I don't tip for deliveries, (except pizza). I used to work delivering TVs and such and usually a late delivery is due to other customers being demanding as how to operate the new unit. Doing complete set-ups and having to explain 50 times how to turn the set on makes for lateness. The only tips I ever got was from the salesmen who had a customer that would only buy if the set was delivered today, usually a steak dinner as the store didn't pay overtime.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.