Do You Still Tip When Delivery is Hours Late?

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by tele-rain, Feb 28, 2020.

1. tele-rain

tele-rain Friend of Leo's

I am supposed to be getting my new TV delivered today from Best Buy. Ordered it last week, and I "chose" the delivery date and time frame. I "chose" 7am - 1pm. I don't mind getting up early, I'd rather have the thing done early. Well guess what, it's 3:19 and NO TV STILL.

Best Buy called this morning about 7:30am, leaving a message that said the delivery would be closer to 2pm. OK fine, that wasn't such a big deal. I went about my day, did some laundry, had a nice breakfast, and so on. Then about 1pm, I started to get antsy. I kept telling myself, it's not 2 yet, don't worry. Then 2pm came and went, as I got more and more annoyed. Finally at about 2:40, I did a Live Chat to find out what was up. Literally within seconds, my phone rang (COINCIDENCE, I think not). The rep tells me they're "very sorry, they are running late, at another client's right now, blah blah blah, so it's going to be closer to 4pm now". I blew up at the woman, saying, "Is it going to be today? It better be today, I took off of work for this and you said it would be closer to 2pm". I'm usually always willing to give the benefit of the doubt with these type of things, but not today, Satan.

I was also researching how much is a good tip for this type of thing, and I came across a few posts that said Best Buy actually doesn't allow their delivery people and/or Geek Squad to accept tips. Before the debacle, I figured I'd still try to give them $10 each (that's what I have on me). But now I'm wondering if I should even bother. I'd like to make it $5 each but I literally just have the tens. I don't want to be that type of pissed off customer or be unreasonable, but it's annoying. I purposely scheduled early so I wouldn't waste the day waiting and that's exactly what has happened. So, let's hear it. What would YOU all do?

2. suave eddie

suave eddie Tele-Afflicted

I've never thought about tipping these type of delivery persons. Do you tip the mailman or the UPS,FEDEX delivery person, etc? I'll tip the pizza delivery guy but not the others.

3. tele-rain

EDITING - the woman just texted that they're 20-25 mins away. I said great, thanks...and she said no thank you for being so patient! Dammit, I guess now I'm feeling bad already. I'm such a sucker.

4. tele-rain

Well they are also going to unbox, and set it up, make sure all it's all working. Service I of course paid for as well, but still.

Also, I live in building, parking is tricky outside. I'm only one flight up, but again, still a bit of a hassle.

stevemc likes this.
  5. Shuster

Shuster Poster Extraordinaire

Nope,,,

Last edited: Feb 28, 2020
    nojazzhere likes this.
  6. getbent

getbent Telefied Silver Supporter

delivering is an inexact science. I think tip if you are grateful, don't if you aren't. I usually identify 'the leader' and give them a 20.00 and say, get a beer after work... how they divvy is their thing.

Tipping, for me, is that simple. It is just 'am I grateful for someone doing something I couldn't or don't want to.' They are late, true, but, if you have ever had to deliver stuff... it can be a pain. Their day MIGHT be worse than your waiting...

7. Asmith

Asmith Friend of Leo's

You dont really go into much detail on why theyre running late. Without going into should you be tipping them in the first place I think its worth considering if its the delivery guys fault who would receive the tip.

Where I work Im forever leaving my section in a less than ideal state because management keep borrowing people from my department leaving us understaffed.

tele-rain likes this.
  8. tele-rain

Ok you both make very valid points...

I know at my job, we keep getting more work out on us as they “transition” to offshore and other means of getting our jobs done. It’s a completely different type of work, but I know one big conglomerate is the same as any other. And yes in this case, delivery definitely can be a PITA. Traffic is unpredictable, as are all the customers set up for the day. So I get it, I don’t think it’s the delivery people’s fault, so I will tip as I deem appropriate after the job is done.

My main beef is with Best Buy as a whole...don’t make a customer “choose” a time frame when it’s unlikely they can adhere to it. Instead, they should give the customer a window time frame. Then day of delivery, as the drivers are out and about, they contact each customer as needed with closer time frames, because then they’ll have a better idea.

getbent and Asmith like this.
  9. skitched

skitched Tele-Meister

I’d blame the company, the delivery guys may be goofballs, but the company shouldn’t give a window of time when they don’t have any way of getting employees to stick to it. I’m just guessing, but I’d imagine there isn’t a good job to be had at Best Buy, and all of the employees hate working there...but are likely on the lower end of the functional spectrum...

Fretting out likes this.
  10. getbent

getbent Telefied Silver Supporter

I bought my fridge, stove, dishwasher, oven from Lowes and my washer and dryer at best buy. Had all of it delivered... what blew my mind.... they were all on time (on the same day)

Blocked the WHOLE day and everything came within an hour... I used the rest of the day to install... unbelievable... they had to park pretty far away to get in, so, it looked like it sucked for both groups...

They were cool and didn't jack up the brand new floors I'd put down, so I was super grateful. Usually people are super late and sorry, but kind of exhausted by the time they get to me.

stormsedge, philpm and tele-rain like this.
  11. wabashslim

wabashslim Tele-Afflicted

That's been my experience in almost every Best Buy encounter I've had. I believe many of them are/were Radio Shack washouts.

skitched likes this.
  12. tele-rain

Whoa that’s awesome! I was all set to be happy when she texted saying they found a spot, and are on the way up....that was 13 minutes ago. I didn’t hear a scuffle in the hallway so I don’t think they got jacked. :rolleyes: More likely they were still blocks away.

getbent likes this.
  13. 1300 E Valencia

1300 E Valencia Friend of Leo's

Any delivery, any time, any where, of anything over five pounds is a king hassle. If these guys were late for you, they were late all day for the other 47 deliveries they tried to make on time.
    I can't imagine tipping them, and can't imagine them expecting one. Just don't yell at them for the lateness, because everyone else sure did. They'll consider that coming out way ahead. :)

14. skitched

skitched Tele-Meister

Would you prefer if they took their afternoon nap in their truck or your house?

15. JL_LI

JL_LI Friend of Leo's

I tipped the guys who delivered and set up our LG dishwasher. I couldn’t have even moved it through the entryway to the kitchen. They were clean, polite, and punctual. I know they weren’t expecting a tip but sometimes you get more than you pay for. These guys even carried dog treats and asked before giving one to the little guy. They were a father and son team who work under contract to the appliance dealer. Obviously no complaints here.

stevemc, Fretting out and Jim622 like this.
  16. Nightclub Dwight

Nightclub Dwight Tele-Afflicted

First of all, its probably not the fault of the delivery guys. They probably aren't sitting in a restaurant ordering refills all day long. They were probably assigned extra work by the boss/company, so its probably out of their control.

Second, except for egregious service problems, our household always tips. The way I see it, if I have enough money to have a television delivered, I have enough money to give a small token of appreciation to the people doing the grunt work. Those guys are probably not getting rich doing that job.

On the same hand, whenever we are deciding what amount to leave for a tip--and we always tip in cash--sometimes the bills in our pocket will suggest a certain tip amount. For example, if the tip ought to be $8, but we only have a ten dollar bill in our pocket, most of the time we'll just leave the ten bucks rather than ask for change. Its just a dollar two. Sure, that means we sometimes tip over 20% at a restaurant, but the way I see it, its only a dollar or two more for me, but it might really help the person on the receiving end. I'm not wealthy, but I appreciate the people who do work for us. The bonus to this is that we usually get GREAT service when we return to that restaurant. For the small price of tipping well, we receive more back from our regular servers in terms of great service or free items in the long run, so I think tipping well actually saves us money at places that we frequent. Our favorite restaurant has a special code in their point of sale system that they use for us that automatically gives us a 20% discount, and they frequently leave items off our bill in addition to that. The owner of the restaurant is aware and allows it because we bring in a lot of other business for them.

stevemc and Jim622 like this.
  17. Bassman8

Bassman8 Tele-Holic Silver Supporter

I'll tip the appliance delivery people if they have to unload big appliances or do installations and they act respectful. We recently had excellent delivery service from Best Buy/Geek Squad. We used to get our appliances from local stores but getting them to service anything became too annoying. I will tip delivery people who are late as long as they kept in touch and did a good job.

stevemc and Jim622 like this.
  18. scooteraz

scooteraz Friend of Leo's

No.

19. Milspec

Milspec Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

Bingo, that is the truth. I am not delivering appliances, but I do deliver for USPS and people have no idea what is happening behind the scenes, just that their package is late. It takes very little to screw up a delivery schedule and once it happens, it snowballs all day no matter how hard you try to catch up. I often skip lunch and breaks to try to make up time on the route, but the customer doesn't know that, they just know that they are waiting for their stuff and that I am later than normal. After the 20th customer saying "You're late" I feel like throwing their package on the yard and driving away.

Be kind to the delivery people...even if late. Think about how much their effort is saving you from having to load / unload and move around all those things that you purchase. Do you have a truck large enough to carry the item? A buddy or two to help you move it? Delivery folks are a luxury and deserve some consideration....even if running late or a little clumsy. I think we are all spoiled and take people like those for granted far too much.

stevemc and Nightclub Dwight like this.
  20. Switchy

Switchy Tele-Afflicted

Maybe if you're talking about a baby, but any other service or product and they can suck it. I'm going to be in a bad mood for sure.

TIM5150 likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.