Do you still own your Hair Metal Superstrat from the 80ies?

Discussion in 'Other Guitars, other instruments' started by braveheart, Nov 17, 2019.

1. braveheart

braveheart Tele-Holic

I've just woke up my Hair Metal axe (Charvel Predator Firecrackle...what a glorious name!:)) from the 80s (bought it 1989) after 27 years in a case...

I switched to Fender Strats & Teles 1992 and have never really played it since then...

But thanks to SATCHEL&George Lynch I revived it a few days ago,put in an early 90s DiMarzio MegaDrive (bridge) and it sounds/plays really good...
    The orginal trem (black FR) is in another guitar at the moment,but I will put it back...

what about you're Hair Metal babies from the 80s?

Dismalhead, Toadtele and Chicago Matt like this.
  2. 50ShadesofOrange

50ShadesofOrange TDPRI Member

Does a 1984 Ibanez Roadstar II count? It was when they still looked like a Strat, before Ibanezes got all pointy. It’s the exact same model as Marty McFly’s. For the record, I had the guitar before the movie came out.

I sometimes laugh to myself about the trem on it. It’s one of those not-Floyd Roses. Ugly as sin, and I’ve blocked it.

The funny part, to me at least, is when I think about the MIM Strat trem blocks vs. the MIA ones, which are apparently superior due to greater mass.

By that rationale, the massive trem on my Ibanez should make it the greatest, most sustain-producing Strat type ever.

Fretting out and Chicago Matt like this.
  3. Chicago Matt

Chicago Matt Friend of Leo's

Mine was a Zion Turbo. It was an HSS model with SPC mid boost, ebony fingerboard and Floyd Rose trem. It wasn't pointy and, while I never played hair metal, it was a great sounding and playing guitar. It was the only one I had that I'd use a trem on. The Floyd was a PITA to change strings on, and forget bending double stops, but that sucker really did stay in tune. :) Occasionally I miss it, but it spent years in the case with a dead battery before I finally cleaned it up and sold it off around 15 years ago.

braveheart likes this.
  4. telemnemonics

telemnemonics Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

Hahahahahahahahahahaha!

Kids today...

Obsessed and braveheart like this.
  5. littlebadboy

littlebadboy Tele-Afflicted

As a teenager in the 80's, I was GAS'ing for this (Roland G707):
    [​IMG]
    What was I thinking...

6. heltershelton

heltershelton Tele-Afflicted

I wish. I had a really nice charvel/jackson model 6 i bought in 1986. This was one of the first ones with the kahler and active jackson pickups.

Toadtele likes this.
  7. braveheart

braveheart Tele-Holic

yeah,I remember, I eyeballed that one,too, back in the mid 80s, but I was a poor student, so it remained a dream
    The Ibanez and Marshall catalogues were like my bible at that time...

8. Recce

Recce Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

I was never a hair metal guy and wasn’t playing in the 1980’s but at 63 I still have my hair.

Bassman8 and braveheart like this.
  9. braveheart

braveheart Tele-Holic

cool guitar,can't believe you sold it..

Chicago Matt likes this.
  10. Toadtele

Toadtele Tele-Afflicted

I couldn’t afford the ones I wanted back then. I settled for a Charvette. Small scale charvel. I traded it in on a strat. Years later I found one just like it in a pawn shop. My wife (girlfriend at the time) surprised me with it for Christmas that year. I still play it. Just last night actually.
    The last ten years or so I’ve been picking up Jacksons, Charvels, ESPs. Whatever cool pointy things I can get my hands on for cheap. I’m a tele man to the core but there’s something about those super strats that really draws me in.

11. braveheart

braveheart Tele-Holic

oooh...I remember :confused::eek:the Kahler...

12. johnniegoat

johnniegoat TDPRI Member

i made mine

dc08a1f2-97fb-4b5b-a32b-6edfecc445be.jpg 13c5a084-b84d-4385-92a4-8eab21ef6088.jpg b1cdf843-57ba-4ba9-b4e6-5caa02f91d91.jpg WP_20151213_006 1.jpg

13. KWal

KWal Tele-Meister

The Charvel is long gone, but I've stll got the Ibenez RG570 and the Hamer. The RG doesn't get out much, but the Hamer still see's plenty of action. What a gtreat guitar that turned out to be.

braveheart likes this.
  14. braveheart

braveheart Tele-Holic

yeah,on that day I bought the Charvel my little brother was with me and he took a white Charvette with HB/S and a strange looking locking trem...(poor man's fr)

15. Dismalhead

Dismalhead Poster Extraordinaire

Unloaded them all back in the mid-'90s when I got tired of Floyds. Replaced every single one with a fixed bridge guitar.

I did pick up a Kramer Pacer for cheap a couple years ago, just so I could metal out and wank on a whammy.

Yes, sometimes I get the urge to wank my whammy.

fendertx and braveheart like this.
  16. Peegoo

Peegoo Tele-Holic

Charvel model IV in fire crackle with active EMG SSH pickups and a Floyd. It's my only stunt guitar; it gets pulled out for recording sessions that require wigglestick weirdness.

braveheart likes this.
  17. Zipslack

Zipslack Tele-Meister

20150729_221756.jpg 1987 Westone Spectrum III. Somewhat nodded and butchered over the years (who needs a router? I have a wood chisel!). It was my only guitar for years.

I keep it in my classroom for when the kids are working on audio.

18. bender66

bender66 Poster Extraordinaire

Queue @blowtorch

studio1087 and littlebadboy like this.
  19. rangercaster

rangercaster Poster Extraordinaire

Everything comes back into style eventually ... When it does, if you're not playing it ... Sell it ...

Fretting out likes this.
  20. xgritzx

xgritzx Tele-Meister

yep! ive got an 86 Kramer Pacer HSS. I used to think it was American made but now I think it was one that was made by ESP Japan. its one of the higher end versions but not the highest. its an absolutely phenomenal guitar. its a little worse for wear at the moment because the Floyd kinda got rusty from all my sweaty metal days. gross lol. also it had a difficult wiring setup that never was right after I switched it to a bucker and 2 stacks. I should have just left it alone. BUT one day ill resurrect it. oh! it was also my first nice guitar. second overall. had it since I was 15. I should suck it up and buy a new Floyd for it. its hard to want to spend the coin though when it will just sit in a case almost always. not sure its the right fit for my church gig lol.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.