Do you still own the best guitar you ever owned?

Discussion in 'Other Guitars, other instruments' started by Bones, Apr 9, 2016.

1. dogn4u

dogn4u Tele-Meister

You betcha. It is a D-28 Dreadnought copy that I made from a kit about 10 yrs ago. Natural talent? Naw. Beginners luck is more likely. Doesn't matter. I scalloped the top braces well beyond what was recommended and actually thinned down the top in some experimental areas...and it sounds fantastic, and hasn't imploded yet... P7190002.jpg P7190003.jpg It's a cannon, one that really started to bloom around the 5-6 year mark, and just keeps getting better.

Attached Files:

2. dogn4u

dogn4u Tele-Meister

Love that tele...

3. oldmark

oldmark Tele-Holic

No. Had a 1970 Fender Telecaster with factory Bigsby, sold it in '75 thinking I could always get another one like it because I had paid only $250 for it...Last I checked, they were selling for over $3500...But I have 4 good Telecasters now to make up for it...

4. ME262

ME262 Tele-Holic

Just about. A few years ago I met an old friend that I used to play in a band with when we were like 16 or so. I hadn't seen him for almost 30 years. I asked him if he still played the guitar, but he said he almost never does anymore. Then I ask if he still had the Ibanez LP that he had back then. I remembered it being a beautiful Cherry wine red with diMarzios that came with it new and sometimes I got to play it in rehearsals or on stage.

He said he probably had it, but that it had been stored in the attic for some 20 years. Set neck or bolt on? I couldn't remember, and he didn't know (!)
    Jesus man, in the attic?! Give it to me and I'll fix it up for you so you can start playing again.

So he did, it was a damned set neck 1978 2651. Jesus. And beautiful, just like I remembered. Even still had the original Sure grip 1 knobs. I cleaned it, polished it, adjusted the neck, did the frets, changed the pots and wiring, even potted the squeeling pickups. The feel and sound was just awesome, never played anything like it. Ok, I had, the same guitar, but I was too young to know how good it was then. He was very happy and I said that if he ever was going to sell it, call me first. I just loved that guitar.

Two weeks later he called me. You can buy the guitar, I can't play anymore on account of an ailment afflicting my my fingers. Too damn sad, but that must have been the fastest buy I ever made. Couldn't stop playing.

Then I modded a Gibson V and it became awesome too. Started playing that and got so used to the high fret access that I was having trouble whenever I played the Ibanez. So, I didn't. And there it stood, unplayed.

A while back I thought that's just a damn shame that guitar just standing there. I never play it because its too damn hard, and I'd be better off selling it to buy an SG with similar access as the V. But I can't sell it to just anyone, after all, it's THAT guitar. I called my brother. Sure, he'd take it gladly. Done deal then, but I thought I'd play it just one more time before handing it over.

That sound, that feel....

I called my brother. You know what? Skru this, I'm not selling. I'm taking the narrow road. I'm gonna play this guitar every night for 30 minutes until I can play the same stuff, with the same ease, as with the V. So I did, and here we are. What an awesome, awesome guitar! They're gonna have to bury me with it.

20140427_112235.jpg 20140301_162651.jpg

gee. and thunderbyrd like this.
  5. jondanger

jondanger Poster Extraordinaire

Maybe you guys are sick of me bemoaning my ill advised trade of this '65 SG Special for a 2008 52RI, but I'll be moanin' again. At least it introduced me to the magic of the Telecaster.

Here she is, makin me sad all over again.

[​IMG]

telemnemonics likes this.
  6. oldmark

oldmark Tele-Holic

well, I did sell my '70 Telecaster...but I still have my '54 Les Paul custom... IMG_0104.JPG

7. Mike SS

Mike SS Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

Owned lots of guitars over the years. Gibson, Martin, Fender, Guild, Yamaha, Alvarez, Squier, Peavey, Hamer, Schecter, Ibanez, and can't say I ever had a favorite. They come, and go as the need arises. I try to keep at least one decent playable guitar around at all times.

I suppose for good memories the '62 Fender Jag I owned as a teenager. It was my workhorse in the band. I sold it for a $100 in '75. It had been painted at least four times by previous owners, and several of the bridge saddles were supported by machine nuts laid under them (kid repairs), but it was my first professional level instrument.

Last edited: Sep 5, 2016
  8. Wrong-Note Rod

Wrong-Note Rod Poster Extraordinaire

I'm happy to add that now I play this all the time. I wasnt using it at all for awhile but now that I'm not really in a band, and I just play around the house, this is the one I go for.

9. memorex

memorex Friend of Leo's

In terms of workmanship, the two nicest guitars I've owned were the Adamas Stereo 1687 and the Guild X500. Sadly, I sold them both around 1990, when I wasn't using either of them and I needed money. If I still had them, I wouldn't be using them much, but I could sell them for a whole lot more money now.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

10. Stringbanger

Stringbanger Telefied Ad Free Member

Not a bad answer for a Pennsylvania boy!:D:D

11. 2blue2

2blue2 Friend of Leo's

We want pictures please. Was it posted in a different thread. come on we want to see.

12. soulman969

soulman969 Telefied Ad Free Member

Guitar yes......bass no.

13. coloradojeff

coloradojeff Tele-Holic

I can narrow it down to two... a 1985 Martin D-16A and my Stevie Ray Vaughn Stratocaster. I don't play either of them often but I'll keep them both.

14. Nasty

Nasty Tele-Meister

20160714_163950 (1).jpg Holy crap, I've bought, sold and horse traded more guitars over the years than I can count, If I don't still own it there's a reason for it, Although that 57 Byrdland does give me some regrets, Not that I liked it much, its just that its worth a small fortune these days, To think I bought it for $250 and sold it for $300 a year or two later still haunts me. What's in the stable today borderlines on WTF to where the hell did you find that, Everything from Pre Fender Tacoma acoustics to all three FACS sisters being Delia, Sheena and Lola, Sheena being daddies favorite, Oh yea she's a very very naughty girl

Last edited: Sep 11, 2016
  15. VWAmTele

VWAmTele Friend of Leo's

The only guitar I've regretted selling is an Eric Clapton 'Blackie' back in 2007. Best Les Paul I've ever owned ;) Trouble was I could never really get it to sound like a Strat - that was probably my fault - sold it and bought a Baja and a CP SB Strat. The Baja was a winner, the CP Strat sounds like a Strat (with the '69 pickups), but I hate the 12" radius.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.