Do you still own the best guitar you ever owned?

Discussion in 'Other Guitars, other instruments' started by Bones, Apr 9, 2016.

1. moosie

moosie Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

Maybe he needs it in the afterlife, like King Tut.

Sweet. Is it the lighting, or is one Surf, and one Seafoam? I like the color of the left one (Surf) better.

songtalk likes this.
  2. songtalk

songtalk Friend of Leo's

They are both surf. The right one, the clear coat is yellowing and it is indeed turning seafoam!

I, too, prefer the paler surf, but anything in this family of green makes me weak in the knees.

3. Stellacaster

Stellacaster TDPRI Member

its just an expression ;) said the same for my harley but i dont see that happening either

4. Thin69

Thin69 Friend of Leo's

Yup, I bought my 69 Thinline a couple of years old. Best guitar I've ever played, has a magic tone I can't get out of my other guitars and it's very light. Will never sell it.

5. TELE_BLUES

TELE_BLUES Tele-Afflicted

No,i sold it to a studio guy A nice red 70's deluxe tele with 2 firebird pickups with rosewood pickup rings to cover the WRHB holes.Sadly the original pickups were missing when I traded into it.

6. vintage clubber

vintage clubber Friend of Leo's

Yes!

Attached Files:

7. Dismalhead

Dismalhead Poster Extraordinaire

I've owned 60+ electrics over the years and have sold two that I regretted getting rid of later: A '94 Gibson SG Special and a '95 US Hamer Special. I've still got my '83 SG, my '05 Tele, and my '96 Lone Star Strat, and I'd put any of them up against anyone else's favorites, so I'm doing alright.

8. Marcelo R

Marcelo R Tele-Afflicted

Like many of us, I've owned several guitars over the years. All of them were good to me at its time. Nowadays, I own several guitars as well, but if I had to choose the "best" among them, I would say that my Les Paul Gold Top made by luthiers Cedrés & Vargas is the one that ranks the highest. The quality of building is superb, it has a powerful sound and a beautiful "singing" tone. The one and only complain is that this beauty is HEAVY, and that's the main reason for I didn't played this guitar on live gigs for some time. But I couldn't let it go - and in fact, despite of the weight, I'm planning to take it out of its case and play this guitar again! It's simply unbeatable.

Best regards.

_67877_N.JPG

9. Blazer

Blazer Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

If "the best" is referring to the guitar I keep returning to, yes, I still own that one.
    [​IMG]
    That would be my red 1989 Squier Strat "the veteran" which I bought new in 1991 and has remained at my side since.

It stills brings out things in me I didn't know were there and if that isn't a sign of it being the best guitar I own, I don't know what is.

10. Togman

Togman Tele-Afflicted Silver Supporter

Yes. I've owned this '68 since '74.
    [​IMG]

11. markod

markod Tele-Meister

1988 or '89 Strat Plus with gold sensor pickups. Neck is just perfect for me and sounds amazing.
    Will never let it go. In fact have been trying to find a close #2!

12. lousy13

lousy13 Tele-Meister

My AV"52 Tele. I like the feel, the vintage frets, the neck size and the sounds through my amps. It works for me.

13. bsman

bsman Friend of Leo's

That's impossible for me to say, because my style, perceptions and preferences have changed so much over the years. Is my Kirn Barnbuster better than the Custom Telecaster I sold in 1979? I can't say...

14. ebb soul

ebb soul Poster Extraordinaire

image.jpeg To the OP, yes, yes I do , for 34 yrs...ebony fretboard, LSR nut prototype, original '72 pups, 'palameno gold', Birdseye neck, first set of schecter staggered tuners sold on this shore, discontinued smoke chrome hardware,paper and oil cap, dual tension tremolo with brass block, and a very curious lack of relicing..

15. wayloncash

wayloncash Tele-Afflicted

That I have ever owned yes, that I will ever own no. Right now just a masterbilt dr500, and a CVC black tele with 4 way switch. I did have the thinline Waylon in my avatar but sound quality was not as good as current CVC. Pretty soon martin D18 and deluxe tele

16. Mojotron

Mojotron Poster Extraordinaire

Ya - I made a LP body with a simple arch across the top and back a couple of years ago and made a Warmoth-style bolt on one piece tele neck for it (the outline of the neck is more early Charvel specs and the neck back is more 50's LP) - not fancy at all, but I have not loved playing it more than any of the plethora of guitar I have owned in the last 42 years.

[​IMG]

It's totally unpretentious until you play it and realize it's a little different in every way :)

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I've played it pretty hard for 2 years now and I still get excited everytime I pick it up and have a very hard time putting it down.

Last edited: Jul 11, 2016
    Matthias likes this.
  17. Matthias

Matthias Friend of Leo's Gold Supporter

All my current guitars are better than the ones I got rid of. I think that's because most of my guitars have been fairly affordable, and those price ranges have got so much better in choice and quality over the last 20 years. I'm just upgrading the electronics and tuners on an absolutely lovely MiM Blacktop strat – yes, a Blacktop. It plays so nice it's getting some CS 69s in it and some locking tuners. My VM Jaguar is tons better built than the VM Tele Custom I got just a few years earlier. I kind of miss my old Jag-Stang but it was a pretty mediocre instrument. I did have an SG Special that played really nicely and sounded great, but it was a bit boring overall. Love my Strats and my Teles, will probably hang on to those.

18. johnbaz

johnbaz TDPRI Member

I think this is my fave solid body, It's a Vintage AV6, It's obviously Strat shape but with humbuckers that are tapped to give the shrill Strat tone or the thick creamy Gibson LP tone, The middle knob controls the tap, It was professionally setup when a mate of mine had it..

[​IMG]

My favourite acoustic was a Canadian Art & Lutherie cedar topped one, It was set up perfectly, So much so that my son took it to live with him- I still miss that guitar, T'was my baby :(
    It doesn't look much but the tone was fantastic and was real easy to play for hours!!

[​IMG]

I have a Simon and Patrick mahogany and cedar acoustic which is almost as nice to play, I'll have to be content with that...

[​IMG]

John :)

19. Brian Krashpad

Brian Krashpad Tele-Afflicted

These are probably the two best/nicest. They ain't goin' nowhere.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

20. bullfrogblues

bullfrogblues Friend of Leo's

No I don't. It was a '68 ES335 I bought used, but mint, for $200. I still have the boot marks in my a$$ for selling that guitar. The only pic I have of it is from this gig pick in about '74
    [​IMG]

moosie likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.