Do you still own the best guitar you ever owned?

Discussion in 'Other Guitars, other instruments' started by Bones, Apr 9, 2016.

1. slauson slim

slauson slim Friend of Leo's

1965 blonde tele with a maple neck, well worn when I got it in 1970 - body nicked and rubbed, and discolored and yellowed, and neck finish worn through on the back and under the cowboy chord area, three threaded saddles, rusty bridge plate. It was a tweener with a post-CBS neck plate but really a pre-CBS tele by virtue of construction and look.

The real deal in twang - sweet sounding - and appearance, and it played well.

Sold in 1985 or 86 when I sold nearly all my gear because I thought I was done with music. Big mistake.

2. Steve 78

Steve 78 Tele-Afflicted

Yes - the only guitar I have let go is my first guitar which was an utter piece of rubbish. My sister wanted it for some reason so she has it. I wouldn't sell it anyway, wouldn't wish it on anyone.

My best guitar? Stock Edwards ALS130 (LP copy with SD antiquity HBs) or SG Voodoo with pups swapped out for P94s. They sound surprisingly very similar. There's a third in the mix which I'm hoping will be my #1 when I do some upgrades. Watch this space.

I realize there's a distinct lack of Fenders here. Sad to say, I've only really discovered the virtues of SC pups after playing for 20 odd years.:oops:

3. Octave Doctor

Octave Doctor Tele-Afflicted

I still have the Gurian S3M I bought new in Pittsburgh in 1973. Instant Renbourn, but I need to do some work on it. Also the best gibson style I've owned , a 1996 first run Hamer Slammer SBFT, better than any of the five Gibson's I've owned. In the mid 70s I had a 65 Strat, 60 Tele, and 64 Epi Coronet and a Plexi Superlead half stack, I looked good everywhere I played, lol.

4. brenn

brenn Tele-Afflicted

Nope, not a chance. I can't even remember, for sure, what the best guitar I've ever owned was. I don't even know how many guitars I've owned; I would not be surprised if it's over 100. As a player, maybe my first Gibson (90's SG standard) or one of my Les Paul Studio Lites. Maybe the aluminum body telecaster I built from Fender parts, except for the Rio Grande bridge pickup. Maybe one of the Metropolitans I've owned - they are strong contenders for tone and neck. I once had a Fender Eric Clapton Blackie that was great (gold lace sensors). Had a Fender James Burton red/black paisley that had a great neck. I wish I had back my Gibson Tennessean or my Martin F55 or my Les Paul Pro Deluxe, but I doubt any of those make the "best" list.

All of them sold or traded, anyhow.

It's hard to say which one was best, because if I had the best one, I'd instantly want to play a sound that required a different one..

5. simond

simond Tele-Meister

I still have my 1970 fretless P-bass. The fretless was launched in the summer of 1970 and this has pot codes for week 22/70. I've had it since 1975. Tinkered with it lots over the years. Brass saddles on thicker bridge plate. Tried a badass very briefly. Had DiMarzio pickup in there for quite a few years. Put the stock pickup back but retained the DM series/parallel switch. Hipshot D-tuner, straplocks. Lots of shielding. Fingerboard has interesting compound radius from years of roundwounds. Starts off as 7.25, goes to 9.5 in the meaty mid section and then reverts to 7.25 up the dusty end. Run flats on it these days. Have all the original bits except for the steel saddles. Just thankful I never chizel routed it for a bridge jazz pickup. Was tempted when I was still young and stupid.

Attached Files:

6. teleforumnoob

teleforumnoob Friend of Leo's

Yep, my D28 I bought new in 1985.

7. thegeezer

thegeezer Tele-Afflicted

I've owned 5 guitars in my life and still have four of them. My favorite is my '08 Deluxe Ash Tele. The other three I have are a '62 Tennessean (bought in '67), a '70 Les Paul Standard (bought in '77) and a '99 Am. Std. Natural Ash Strat, the only guitar I ever bought new.

The fifth one? It was a '63 Strat that was given to me in college for filling in with a band that was playing at a stripper bar. The guitarist had run off with a stripper. Played for the weekend and got the guitar as payment. Must have been about 1971 or '72. Somebody offered me a couple hundred bucks for it shortly after I bought the Les Paul. Who knew?

8. Chicago Matt

Chicago Matt Friend of Leo's

Yep. My favorite has become my 2005 Clapton Strat (not CS), if by "best" we are talking about the desert island guitar, the one that we must have on the gig. It sounds great and is very versatile with the Clapton electronics. I loved it from the time I got it new, but not the neck so much. When it needed another re-fret recently I bolted on a CV 50's Squier Strat neck. I love it!

I still have my '52 Les Paul that was converted to 57 specs (tune-o-matic and humbuckers). I bought it in '69 for $300 and it's a great guitar. Best LP I've ever owned and I've owned a few. But I haven't been an LP guy for many, many years. So it stays in the case most of the time. I keep it for nostalgia because it's been with me so long. I miss my original '62 Strat that I sold off in the early 80's and would love to have it now, especially for the money it would be worth, but the Clapton with the Squier neck is a dream to play and gets all the tones I want. I don't know if I got a special one or what, but it just suits me. More than any guitar I can remember.

9. Jakedog

Jakedog Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

I have to say, I've let some super sweet ones go over the years. But though I miss some of them quite a bit, I don't think I've ever had a nicer bunch of guitars than I have right now. There's certainly a few I'd like to have back, but I don't think I've ever been happier overall than I am now. In the guitar department, anyhow.

10. Tatercaster

Tatercaster Friend of Leo's

Yes, '96 Epiphone Del Rey or my '92 MIM Telecaster or my '93 MIK Stratocaster. Still have all three.

Which is best depends on which day the question is asked.

Last edited: Apr 11, 2016
  11. Oldtime

Oldtime TDPRI Member

I picked up a Marting HD 28 GM LSH, I still have it and love playing it.

[​IMG]

Wyzsard likes this.
  12. VWAmTele

VWAmTele Friend of Leo's

I came across mine late in the process after many guitars - AVRI 62 Custom Tele. I'll never sell it. The best guitar I had that I sold was an 2007 Clapton 'Blackie' Strat. The only Strat I've ever gotten on with, should've kept it.

13. oramac7891

oramac7891 Friend of Leo's

Yes. A mid nineties Korean epiphone les Paul from the Samick plant. It plays like butter, all my pricey guitars would go before this one

Lunchie likes this.
  14. rze99

rze99 Poster Extraordinaire

;)

My R4 is the best guitar I've ever owned and I still have it.

15. electrabishi

electrabishi NEW MEMBER!

Somewhere in these lovely 50 United States
    Yes I still own the BEST guitar I've ever owned and played. And I will absolutely own it until the day I die, too. I say that because my grandfather recently passed away and left me with his 1950 Broadcaster. It was a Butterscotch Blonde that my grandmother bought for him in November of 1950 from H&H Music in Houston Texas. He told me it was 1 of 2 the store had for sale and they bought one of them. She told me she had the cancelled check for the $250 they paid for it, but since she passed I cannot find it. I do not think that man went to church a day in his life without playing that guitar. When I was growing up in the 70's and 80's I could only play that guitar by myself when nobody was home. Because when family came over to play all I could beat on was Papa's old Gibson acoustic (which is a 1936 model that I also inherited). As I got older I would play occasionally with him in church and a couple times I remember him letting me play the Fender. As I got older I picked up the Sax and played with him at church on occasion as well. He told me until the day he died that he new he couldn't take it with him and that the Fender was mine. In the early '80's he gave me his 5E3 Fender Deluxe Tweed amplifier (Production Code = ID from 1959). He didn't like the over driven response and wanted something that gave him more volume and bought some Peavy amp. That thing was heavy and I didn't like it so much. The Fender Deluxe had a broken handle and I readily gave up my leather belt and made a dual strap leather handle which still exists on it today. In the late '80's I had a cheap ass pawn shop Strat knock off, hated the guitar, it wouldn't keep tune, I was embarrassed to play it with my grandfather, and didn't play so much anymore. I think I dropped it off at Salvation Army during one of my moves. That one I do not miss. But now that I have the Fender I won't have to buy another guitar as long as I live. I may even start playing again :)

But to the point of this thread, maybe a new thread should be started that says "Do you still own the Best Guitar you ever bought new". My grandfather (really my grandmother because she ran the checkbook for the business) bought an awesome guitar in 1950 that he played until he couldn't even hold it anymore. The original tweed case is long gone because he played that guitar twice a week plus family get togethers from 1950 until a couple years ago. But I still remember him carrying that guitar in a falling apart tweed case. He started leaving his Amp at the church when he had to start using a wheel chair. But he still carried that guitar himself every time he went. When we had to put him in a home and he wanted to play there he had no problem getting around the home, the only thing he was worried about was how he was going to get his guitar there so he could play. So really this story isn't about the best guitar I've ever owned and still have. Its about my grandfathers life long relationship with his 1950 Fender Broadcaster.

Red_Gloria, 2blue2, ringii99 and 4 others like this.
  16. jpjr50

jpjr50 Tele-Holic

I'm still looking for the best ever.

I want to buy a 2016-15 Gibson Les Paul Tradition in Honey Burst. It will def be the most expensive guitar I've bought, hopefully it'll be the best.

17. cabra velha

cabra velha Tele-Afflicted Ad Free Member

I have the two best acoustics I've ever owned, they are both relatively newish and I paid < $1K for each.

18. flyingnorth

flyingnorth Tele-Meister

Still have and play my 56 Martin D-18 I got in 1959...better sound than new...traded a Kay flattop and 100$ for it.

2blue2 and Wyzsard like this.
  19. Jack S

Jack S Friend of Leo's Gold Supporter

Hands down my favorite guitar I have ever owned and has been my main guitar since about 1975 is my '53 Telecaster. I did retire it at one time and went acoustic only for a few years and worried about taking it out when I started playing electric again, but I feel like it is an extension of me when I play and no other guitar ever made that same connection with me.

20. John How

John How Tele-Meister

My first real guitar was a 1967 sunburst Strat with a rosewood fretboard. I played it about 6 years and after getting married and leaving the band I was in, I traded it in on a Yamaha (how blind and dumb can a young man be) acoustic. I have regretted this all of the years since. All of the guitars I now own, I built myself. Several acoustics and several electrics. They are all just as acceptable as the Strat but I do miss it. I have a Tele partscaster so maybe one day soon I'll build a Strat for myself.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.