Do You Sing?

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by Paul in Colorado, Dec 31, 2018.

1. matmchugh

matmchugh TDPRI Member

2. Dennyf

Dennyf Tele-Afflicted

Yes. More out of convenience or necessity rather than desire. I’d rather just do backup/harmony, but I’ve fronted bands. I also do solo gigs, so you pretty much have to.

But I’ve never sought a gig as a singer.

JustABluesGuy likes this.
  3. bowman

bowman Friend of Leo's

Yes. Singing is how I got my foot in the door of every band I've ever been in. I've always been asked to sit in with this or that band to reinforce the vocals, which has lead to my singing more and more of their stuff. I eventually manage to work my mediocre guitar skills into the mix, but by then it's too late - I'm officially in the band at that point because they think they need my vocals. It's a good system, but there's no way I'm going to tell these guys that there are 50 other guys who are younger and better-looking that can do the same thing. That's my little secret...

OlRedNeckHippy likes this.
  4. puddin

puddin Tele-Holic

If you can hoot and holler..then you can sing. Find your range, then let it rip. Here's a beautiful soul. She's been singing since age 2.

Last edited: Jan 2, 2019
    Jakeboy likes this.
  5. memorex

memorex Friend of Leo's

[QUOTE="Uh...Jerry Garcia isn't doing "live" these days...:twisted:[/QUOTE]

I probably should have said I sing like Jerry did live back in the 80s, when his voice sucked, because nowadays he sings like an angel.

OlRedNeckHippy likes this.
  6. Mike Eskimo

Mike Eskimo Telefied Ad Free Member

1/2 and 1/2 agree/disagree.

Plenty of greats could just sing. No lessons, no practice - just pure effortless music from their mouth.

On the other hand - yeah, a lot of folks who think they can’t sing just need to be taught, guided, and/or practice - in their keys.

7. Paul in Colorado

Paul in Colorado Telefied Ad Free Member

I'm surprised how many of you don't sing. I've been singing since I started talking. I don't have a great voice, but my pitch is good and I have a good ear. I quit singing when my voice changed, but I started hanging out with a bunch of guys who played acoustic guitars and pounded on conga drums around a campfire in High School, so I got back into it. I've been singing ever since.

Rustbucket and P Thought like this.
  8. OlRedNeckHippy

OlRedNeckHippy Friend of Leo's

I always tell the young guitar players, "Dude, you gotta sing. It's the singer that gets the girls."

9. mistermikev

mistermikev Tele-Holic

like a drunkin' sailor. like bob dylan (not like another cup of coffee, more like his exaggerations of himself). like tom waits waltzing matilda. like henry rollins. but not as good as any of those. not bad enough to be good and also not good enough to be good. doesn't stop me from tryin' tho!

Paul in Colorado likes this.
  10. Rustbucket

Rustbucket Poster Extraordinaire

^^this is more where I fit, but it wasn’t always that way. From 18-22 years old, everyone said i’d never be a singer and should just backup someone else on guitar. The problem was I soon realized nobody else wanted to sing the songs I wanted to play, so I just started doing it. It took another 3 years of practice before I started singing in front of people. 2-3 years after that I felt I was getting decent at it and now I can’t stop. Singing while playing roots music is my favorite thing to do.

JustABluesGuy and OlRedNeckHippy like this.
  11. Tenderfoot

Tenderfoot Tele-Holic

In the good old days when I was in bands; during the first half of a gig I didn't get much response from the audience when singing. That all changed during the second half of the gig when I would get a good reaction and some comments (the influence of adult beverages).

As for the present time, yes I sing, mostly in my home music room or on occasions when jamming with one of my friends. I believe that singing daily (and playing guitar) is the best Rx for seniors. It keeps the vocal cords from sounding aged and is a slight form of exercise where the fingers, arms, legs & feet and head are moving.

telestratosonic likes this.
  12. Fendereedo

Fendereedo Poster Extraordinaire

I can sing according to my family, but I only really bother when I'm really happy about something. I've never sang in public though, just played guitar.

13. maxvintage

maxvintage Friend of Leo's

No, to my regret. I was born with a narrow range and age has further narrowed it to less than an octave. I have very little control over pitch. The few times I’ve tried have not gone well and band members have assured me my services were not required

14. cyclopean

cyclopean Friend of Leo's

that's orson welles.

15. Piggy Stu

Piggy Stu Friend of Leo's

I refuse to answer this question until my lawyer gets here. I know my Miranda rights

16. Paul in Colorado

Paul in Colorado Telefied Ad Free Member

You have Miranda rights in the UK? When did that happen?

17. Piggy Stu

Piggy Stu Friend of Leo's

No comment, Officer

18. Fiesta Red

Fiesta Red Friend of Leo's

Yes.

19. swingtime

swingtime Tele-Meister

For the last three years I have been singing the lowest parts in my acoustic trio. The two other guys are naturals at singing, harmonizing all songs seemingly effordless. They are happy having me singing along, so I hope it's not too bad. We play a lot and the public always seem to like it. I love singing!

20. JohnnyCrash

JohnnyCrash Doctor of Teleocity Gold Supporter

No. But I can scream in key.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.