Do you set an alarm.....or three?

NoTeleBob

Friend of Leo's
I made a simple chord progression in Reaper using a nice strings vst (Labs BBC Orchestra) that fades in from 0 over 60 seconds. Much less of a jolt then the old horrific beeping.

Speaking of which, someone made that sound into a song:

I went to music too for when the backup comes into play. Still not nearly as welcoming as just waking up.

Dostradamas

Tele-Afflicted
I use my internal clock

I tell myself when I need to wake up and I do.

Every cell in our body has a nearly perfect 24 hour clock.

Working day shift helps a lot

Knows3Chords

Tele-Afflicted
I worked mids for most of last 35 years of my career until I got sick about 7 years ago. I would get a few hours of sleep during the day and then somebody would come home and the dogs would go crazy or something else would wake me up. Never failed. I wake up naturally at 07:00 now. Mostly because I have to go to the bathroom. I have an internal bladder alarm. Only time I use an alarm now is if I have to be somewhere super early. No snooze. The dogs won't allow it.

Last edited:

trapdoor2

Friend of Leo's
Haven't used an alarm for 10 yrs.

45 years of 0600-1600. I get up at 6 whether I want to or not. Generically, I get up for my back. I can only remain horizontal 6.5-7hrs and then I need to sit up in a chair, if it is a comfy one, I'll go back to sleep.

If I need to get up for an early appointment, I'll simply go to bed 7hrs before I need to get up. Works perfectly.

Napping doesn't cause me any issues as long as I'm sitting. I can fall asleep in front of the TV at 9pm, get up at midnight to go to bed and sleep 6-7hrs.

39martind18

Friend of Leo's
Now that I'm retired I only have to get up early for medical appointments, so I only set an alarm for those days. We used to have one come on every morning because the radio station it was tuned to played nice, relaxing classical music, but they changed their format and so we stopped doing that. Like Kandinskyesque, my bladder is a regular alarm now. Not as pleasant as the music, but I'm glad I can still wake up to it! :p

I play assisted living centers as my main market these days. In one of them I overheard three ol' guys talking about their morning routines. Charlie said that he would wake up around 5:30 and have to pee, but couldn't go easily. Joe chimed in that he would wake up at 6:00 every morning, needing to poop. However, he also had trouble going. Frank sat there with a glum look on his face. Charlie asks him why the long face? Frank responds that every morning he pees like a racehorse at 6:45 and at 7:05 he has a glorious poop. Joe jumps in with, "That sounds wonderful! What's the problem?" Frank responds, "I don't wake up til 7:45!"

getbent

Telefied
Gold Supporter
no alarm for many years now. I wake at 5. If I have an earlier wake time than that, I tell myself what time when I get in bed and I'm always within 5 minutes of it.

stormsedge

Poster Extraordinaire
Silver Supporter
I set an alarm for the AM, but usually wake up a bit before it and kill it before it rings.
I try to get in a daily nap of ~30 minutes after lunch...I set my timer for 33 minutes and usually wake at 29-30. I've been this way for as long as I can remember.

mad dog

Friend of Leo's
The only time I ever need an alarm is for super early departures, to an airport for example. Otherwise, I seem to always be awake when it's necessary.

Milspec

Poster Extraordinaire
Always set 2 of them.

1. Electric alarm clock set for 5:30 am
2. Battery powered Big Ben style alarm clock for 6 am.

If I sleep through the first or there is a loss of power, the extra loud old school hammer to bell clock will cause me to jump out of bed at 6 am. That is my Alamo clock, that leaves me just enough time to get off to work on time.

Milspec

Poster Extraordinaire
My dad was like Jack Reacher in that he could visualize a time he wanted to wake up, be it 5 am to go hunting or 7am on weekends, and that's when he woke up. I always envied him that ability; never once did I know dad to own an alarm clock of any kind.
Left to my own devices, I'll sleep till I feel rested-- which may be a long time, depending on how tired I am.

I've always been able to work any shift without any problem staying awake, but I do require an alarm clock. I'm currently working the Dupont schedule which switches from days to graveyard every 3 to 4 days. It's a challenge to get up sometimes especially living alone, although my dogs have adapted well and usually get me up around alarm time, morning or afternoon. They're creatures of habit and like a routine.

My main complaint is that after three or sometimes four 12-hour day shifts, I frequently wake up at 0420 on my first day off, which is irritating.
After working several night shifts, I'll also wake up sometimes in the wee hours on days off and watch TV or read all night.
I did that shift for 8 years. It took me almost a full year to re-set myself to a normal schedule after I left that job.

Doctor of Teleocity
6 small battery powered in a gallon ziplock, and two phones set 6:01, 6:02, 6:03, etc. until 6:25. The small alarms in the slider bag all go off at the exact same time at 6:00, so I have 1 minute to find the bag, open it, and turn them all off before the two phones start going off.

When I did music for a living, I had about 3 or 4 hardwired as well, because every day/night I had to get up at a different time. Sometimes I’d have to sleep for only two hours, get up and drive to another state, do a show, then come back and do another show the next afternoon without sleeping.

On top of that, I can’t turn my brain off, so it takes me forever to even get to sleep. I’ve gone without my proper amount of sleep hours for many years and feel like I could sleep for days if I didn’t have so much to do.

haggardfan1

Friend of Leo's
I did that shift for 8 years. It took me almost a full year to re-set myself to a normal schedule after I left that job.
One of my pharmacy tech jobs was at a hospital on straight nights for about nine years, 7 on/7 off. I loved it...only working six months out of the year. Going from that to a Monday-Friday 8 to 5 was the most unpleasant change of schedule I ever experienced; suddenly I had what seemed like zero free time.

Milspec

Poster Extraordinaire
One of my pharmacy tech jobs was at a hospital on straight nights for about nine years, 7 on/7 off. I loved it...only working six months out of the year. Going from that to a Monday-Friday 8 to 5 was the most unpleasant change of schedule I ever experienced; suddenly I had what seemed like zero free time.
I know how that feels. At the tail end of Desert Storm, I was "loaned" out to the DEA inspecting cargo when ships returned to Moorehead City. I would work 15-20 hours straight when a ship docked, but then had 4 days off until the next ship arrived. Did that for 3 months and when I was sent back to my unit, trying to cope with a daily schedule was horrible.

That was also the best part of self-employment in a seasonal field. I worked about 12 days per month during the warm months and then only 2-3 days per month during the winter...all while making twice what I earn working 6 days per week year round. I seriously have no time to do anything these days.

metalicaster

Friend of Leo's
Today I awoke, reached for the phone to check the time, then its alarm went off in my hand so I got up. Asleep to walking in seconds.

Chester P Squier

Friend of Leo's
I've never quite understood the concept of a snooze button.
Why set it for 5 AM if you're going to keep hitting snooze until 5:15, and then crawl out of bed.
Why not just set it for 5:15 and get the extra sleep?

Bob Womack

Friend of Leo's
My wife has never appreciated me using the snooze.

For the first fifteen years of my career I rotated shifts every month. That was ugly because it takes a body six weeks to adjust to a shift change. Like a serviceman, I learned to simply go to sleep whenever I needed to. Something else has developed over time: I set an alarm but rarely need it. I wake up a few minutes before the alarm. I've only heard the alarm once in the last three weeks. I've also developed the ability to set a length goal for a nap and wake up when needed. Funny stuff.

Bob

rdjones

Tele-Holic
I just set an alarm earlier this evening to remind me to go outside and watch the space station pass over.
No snooze needed as I was already awake and gave myself 30 seconds to walk outside, timed precisely.

Curiously another object appeared to be "flying" closely parallel to ISS, but was not listed in the tracking program. Classified ?

I'm a heavy sleeper and slow riser so go through a similar wake/snooze cycle as you describe. Waking in such a sluggish fashion is not a trait I'm fond of but what is one to do ?

Last edited:

teleplayr

Friend of Leo's
I've never used the snooze button. After years of getting up at the same time I'd wake up just before the alarm would go off.

My ex used to hit the snooze button A LOT, I broke her of that.

I put the alarm clock across the room where she couldn't hit the snooze button and she would have to get out of bed to turn the alarm off ! LMAO!!!!

bgmacaw

Doctor of Teleocity
Good morning!!!

marinealarmclock.JPG