Do you set an alarm.....or three?

Preacher

Poster Extraordinaire
I am a one alarm guy and I never hit snooze. I think I might be part Vulcan as many times I will wake a few minutes before my alarm goes off.

But my son is not like me, apparently he wanted to get up at 7 this morning. I was drinking my coffee and I heard his alarm go off. It honked for a good while, then I heard birds chirping, and then I heard some kind of guitar riff happening. It was then I realized that he has set a bunch of alarms with different tones. They go off for a while and then he hits snooze or turns them off. If they are going off for a while I get tired of hearing them down the hall and I will knock on his door and he hits snooze again.

It is 8:10 now, and I am firmly planted in my office and I just heard his alarm go off again.

TomBrokaw

Tele-Holic
Used to snooze, but experience and reading taught me that you feel worse, more groggy, when you do that.

Now I set a second alarm to get moving so I don't stare at my phone all morning after my, errr, morning constitutional.

8bit

Tele-Meister
I was like your son in my younger days. Just could not get out of bed. Now I'm up within the same 15 minute window, whether I want to be or not. I don't even need the alarm. My body just knows.

Last edited:

nojazzhere

Doctor of Teleocity
Ad Free Member
I am a one alarm guy and I never hit snooze. I think I might be part Vulcan as many times I will wake a few minutes before my alarm goes off.

But my son is not like me, apparently he wanted to get up at 7 this morning. I was drinking my coffee and I heard his alarm go off. It honked for a good while, then I heard birds chirping, and then I heard some kind of guitar riff happening. It was then I realized that he has set a bunch of alarms with different tones. They go off for a while and then he hits snooze or turns them off. If they are going off for a while I get tired of hearing them down the hall and I will knock on his door and he hits snooze again.

It is 8:10 now, and I am firmly planted in my office and I just heard his alarm go off again.
When I was a teenager and early twenties, I was terrible about hitting the snooze button, or even turning off the alarm, and rolling over and going back to sleep. I eventually learned that when the alarm goes off.....GET THE HECK UP and get out of bed!!!!
The biggest problem with sleeping late, or napping during the day, is it then makes it hard to get to sleep the next night. My daughter likes to proclaim she's a "night person".......no, she just sleeps during the day and then isn't sleepy at night. I learned (in personal experience) if you WANT TO, you can become whatever you work at. I used to think I wasn't a "morning" person, until I had a series of jobs where I had to get up at 4:00 AM and "get to it". Guess what?.....I adjusted, and actually discovered the advantages to adhering to a more "natural" cycle.....that of the "normal" daytime hours.
I assume since your son lives at home, he's still young. Hopefully, he'll eventually get on the program, and not stay up all night when he has to get up early. (-ish) Good luck to him. ;)

idjster

VERY grateful member
Silver Supporter
Now that I'm retired I only have to get up early for medical appointments, so I only set an alarm for those days. We used to have one come on every morning because the radio station it was tuned to played nice, relaxing classical music, but they changed their format and so we stopped doing that. Like Kandinskyesque, my bladder is a regular alarm now. Not as pleasant as the music, but I'm glad I can still wake up to it! :p

Preacher

Poster Extraordinaire
When I was a teenager and early twenties, I was terrible about hitting the snooze button, or even turning off the alarm, and rolling over and going back to sleep. I eventually learned that when the alarm goes off.....GET THE HECK UP and get out of bed!!!!
The biggest problem with sleeping late, or napping during the day, is it then makes it hard to get to sleep the next night. My daughter likes to proclaim she's a "night person".......no, she just sleeps during the day and then isn't sleepy at night. I learned (in personal experience) if you WANT TO, you can become whatever you work at. I used to think I wasn't a "morning" person, until I had a series of jobs where I had to get up at 4:00 AM and "get to it". Guess what?.....I adjusted, and actually discovered the advantages to adhering to a more "natural" cycle.....that of the "normal" daytime hours.
I assume since your son lives at home, he's still young. Hopefully, he'll eventually get on the program, and not stay up all night when he has to get up early. (-ish) Good luck to him. ;)

It is funny that I think he gets it from his Mom. Her brother has a difficult time where he just stays up later and later and eventually gets his days and nights reversed. Her brother would do the same thing with his alarm, multiple snoozes and such.
There is a study that was done that tells people to pay attention to their sleep cycle and not "oversleep" or "undersleep". I know there have been days where I woke an hour or two before my alarm was set that I went back to sleep and felt horrible when the alarm went off. The days where I just got up, I felt better all day.

I am like you, if I have to get up for work at a certain time my body adjusts to the time I need to get up. I can be a night guy or a morning guy depending on circumstances.

NoTeleBob

Friend of Leo's
I'm very good at waking up at the time I need to wake up. Usually within a few minutes of accuracy. Oddly, I'm far less accurate at knowing what time it is during the day without looking at a clock.

If I have a meeting/appt to be at, I will set an alarm as a back up at the latest possible time I would want to wake up. That will be sometime after my preferred time to wake up. The reason is that I don't like to wake up to alarms. I find it startling, shocking, and a terrible way to start the day

Ricky D.

Doctor of Teleocity
A student at MIT made an alarm clock for a lab project. It would jump off the table and hide under the bed when you hit the snooze button.

FenderLover

Poster Extraordinaire
I haven't used an alarm since 2018. The dogs want breakfast at 4am for some reason, and I make them wait until 4:30 or 5. I nap on the couch until 6:30 and log in at 7. Never was a sound sleeper.

haggardfan1

Friend of Leo's
My dad was like Jack Reacher in that he could visualize a time he wanted to wake up, be it 5 am to go hunting or 7am on weekends, and that's when he woke up. I always envied him that ability; never once did I know dad to own an alarm clock of any kind.
Left to my own devices, I'll sleep till I feel rested-- which may be a long time, depending on how tired I am.

I've always been able to work any shift without any problem staying awake, but I do require an alarm clock. I'm currently working the Dupont schedule which switches from days to graveyard every 3 to 4 days. It's a challenge to get up sometimes especially living alone, although my dogs have adapted well and usually get me up around alarm time, morning or afternoon. They're creatures of habit and like a routine.

My main complaint is that after three or sometimes four 12-hour day shifts, I frequently wake up at 0420 on my first day off, which is irritating.
After working several night shifts, I'll also wake up sometimes in the wee hours on days off and watch TV or read all night.

Last edited:

blue metalflake

Doctor of Teleocity
Ad Free Member
Just use an alarm for something important and out of the ordinary (like early flight) but inevitably waken up before the alarm goes off.
Otherwise I’m up and about around 7 while the rest of the house is still asleep.

swarfrat

Tele-Holic
I now have an alarm cat. She loves her peeps but isn't a lap cat. She loves yogurt though so I let her lick the bowl when I'm done - if I have a bowl of yogurt she becomes a lap cat. Fast forward to 5am next morning... yogurt time wakeup dad!!!!