Do you sell gear?

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by Maroonandwhite, Dec 13, 2019.

1. ReverendRevolver

ReverendRevolver Tele-Afflicted

Yes, if I have no real use for it and its worth selling monetarily.

I'm attached to some stuff. Not so much orher stuff. First guitar I bought new was an esp v-100. I sold it/ traded it. Probably toward my toronado or 75, both of which I'm too attached to for me to part with. I've never found a 75 just like mine, and toronados have increased in value. Had they not, I'd probably own a white one, a black one, and either orange or yellow.

2. stratoman1

stratoman1 Friend of Leo's

I just trade stuff in. I don't get out and about like I used so I just run into other people to buy, sell trade wit . Don't trust CL and not interested in shipping either

3. nojazzhere

nojazzhere Doctor of Teleocity

I haven't sold anything in quite a while because....well....things didn't SELL. Since I don't want to deal with shipping stuff, I will occasionally put things on CraigsList, and CraigsList SUCKS. I honestly don't think it's just me, 'cause I see other CL offerings languish there for weeks and months. Fortunately, unlike Fiesta Red in his past, I don't have to sell anything to pay bills or mortgage. The only reason I would sell now is just to make it easier on my grandson when "THAT DAY" comes.

4. fendrguitplayr

fendrguitplayr Doctor of Teleocity

I don't go looking for new gear but sometimes it finds me and follows me home. ;)

stratoman1 likes this.
  5. Maroonandwhite

Maroonandwhite Tele-Meister Silver Supporter

I like the idea of having the “extra” or unwanted gear available to give away. I really don’t have many folks in my circle that play guitar but it would be cool to always have a decent amp and guitar available to give away for an interested new player.

6. drumtime

drumtime Tele-Meister

I sold my early 70's Gibson Hummingbird because I didn't play it much. I got it for $250, and sold it for $1200. Now, I don't have either the money or the guitar. That was dumb.

7. Jupiter

Jupiter Telefied Silver Supporter

I liquidated most of my gear at wholesale prices once because I was moving overseas and needed the cash. It was traumatic and I didn’t sell anything for about 10 years after that.

I’ve sold a couple guitars since then, and I didn’t regret them. Might do the same again at some point, but I really only have a couple left that I’d consider selling.

I’m not a flipper, and have never bought a guitar with any thought that I’d sell it later. But as I’ve built several over the years, and my musical tastes have shifted, a few things have become redundant.

radiocaster likes this.
  8. Obsessed

Obsessed Telefied Ad Free Member

My wife, the bass player and I finally got to the point that if we wanted more gear, we had to sell gear first. It has turned out to be a far better system than we imagined. The question has become, "do you want that new piece of gear enough to sell some existing gear to pay for it?". It really does make you think about it more.

9. Mjark

Mjark Doctor of Teleocity Silver Supporter

Not anymore.

10. Charlie Bernstein

Charlie Bernstein Poster Extraordinaire

The rule at my place: If one comes in, one goes out.

It's a small house.

Deathray and Obsessed like this.
  11. Stubee

Stubee Doctor of Teleocity Gold Supporter

Yep. Sold some guitars and amps the last couple of years and will sell off another or two when I feel like it. I’ve still got one or two guitars and amps that just don’t get played and likely won’t (by me) in the future. These things were made to be played IMO and that’s where they’ll hopefully end up.

I used to buy and sell a lot years ago but that whole process slowed down in the 1990s and pretty much stopped in 2003, purely because I’d picked up the few guitars that really suited me.

12. westofthesun

westofthesun TDPRI Member

I tend to trade or sell pedals a lot. I find it fun to swap out dirt and boost pedals all the time so my pedalboard seems to always be changing these days. For many years I swore off of effects and sold everything that was on the board. And then I sold the the board.

I did once give away a Vintage Modified Tele that I kinda wish I had back though. It was fun to tinker around with.

13. radiocaster

radiocaster Poster Extraordinaire

I hate selling gear. You could count the number or guitars I've sold on the fingers of one hand and the amps I've sold on the fingers of the other hand, and still have fingers left over. Or just the thumbs really.

I've also given some small practice amps away, I don't think that counts.

Pedals I have sold a lot though.

I hate selling stuff. I only sell locally through a forum. One piece of gear took more than 2 years to sell (I just checked now, I thought it was more than that), and many have taken more than 6 months. Usually sell at 40%-60% of the price new.

14. Charlie Bernstein

Charlie Bernstein Poster Extraordinaire

PS - Next to go will probably be my '65 Bassman head. It's a monster, but I just don't have enough electric opportunities to justify keeping in.

15. bsman

bsman Friend of Leo's

I used to sell gear, but grew tired of dealing with tire-kickers, idle time-wasters, and the occasional angry idiot. Therefore, over the past few years, I have made a bi-annual donation of gear to my local school district unified parents organization. The schools get gear they can use, and I get a tax deduction.

Maroonandwhite and NewKid like this.
  16. robmclark

robmclark TDPRI Member Platinum Supporter

What a generous spirit.

NewKid likes this.
  17. robmclark

robmclark TDPRI Member Platinum Supporter

My buying and selling has been usually due to not playing for long periods of time. Once I sold a good strat because it sounded horrible no matter how perfectly I tuned it. That was before I learned that guitars need to be setup and intonated lol. Now I'll probably sell, just so I can buy- otherwise my wife will step in to stop my gear madness.

18. schmee

schmee Doctor of Teleocity Silver Supporter

I've bought and sold a ton. It's really crazy. I keep looking for the holy grail. It's insane.
    Here's just one little example:
    -I'm doing a lot of Duo gigs now.. due to the degradation of real band gigs in this area. I'm using a jazz archtop usually. I have wanted a tiny, good sounding amp.
    -I have now tried 5 acoustic amps, Fishman, also a Roland, a Mono 15, a Champ and more. My conclusion is I must have a small tube amp for this.
    -I've now spent many hours, tons of money trying to find the "perfect " little amp.
    -Last night I just decided to carry the BFDR to the gig. Of course it's perfect and what I had in my possession all along.
    -I seem to forget that loading and carrying a bigger amp in to the gig.... even a 100 times is far far easier then building an amp, or buying, selling etc.
    -I've done this type of thing many times with big amps and guitars too.

It's just insane. That's just the amp story.
    The same thing occurred for the right jazz box to buy. Bought and tried many before settling...

19. Torren61

Torren61 Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

I do sell gear. What do you need?

Deathray likes this.
  20. NewKid

NewKid Tele-Afflicted

FF9B207F-833B-416D-B10A-65E9F6122D2A.jpeg
    You might like the Henriksen Blu for your Jazz guitar. It’s 12 lbs. and 120 watts.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.