Do you sell gear?

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by Maroonandwhite, Dec 13, 2019.

1. Maroonandwhite

Maroonandwhite Tele-Meister Silver Supporter

Not including financial strains or a needs over want situation, do you ever sell your guitar gear? I have always been a buyer/seller type of person and can usually find a good deal when trading but lately I’ve started trying to train myself to just wait and save up for whatever I want gear wise. I have several items over the years that I regret selling and really wonder why I didn’t just wait an extra few weeks to just buy what I wanted.
    This has also started making me consider if I REALLY want whatever the next purchase may be.

2. kbold

kbold Tele-Afflicted Silver Supporter

I buy things: I sell things.
    Some things I've bought I've regretted.
    Some things I've sold I've regretted.
    But I try not to worry either way. Life's too short to dwell.

3. Bob M

Bob M Tele-Afflicted Ad Free Member

Prepare for a bunch of replies! Sure I sell. Seems if I buy 5 things, no matter how I research, I miss on 2 of them. I refuse to hold onto something I don't use or like. Better to turn it into something I need or will use.

Skydog1010 likes this.
  4. NewKid

NewKid Tele-Holic

I don’t sell my gear anymore. I would rather give it away. It feels a lot better.

I gave my good friend a $2000 custom ukulele that he loves and gigs with now. It sat in my closet unplayed for nearly three years.

My new ceiling for gear is $1000 and I’ve found great value for much less than that.

5. scottser

scottser Tele-Afflicted

i laughed at this topic. 'gear' where i come from is a slang term for 'heroin'.

6. brookdalebill

brookdalebill Tele Axpert Ad Free Member

All the time.
    I haven’t sold much lately.
    My gear lust has been satisfied, mostly.
    I do not need a thing.
    I’d like a cool Jazzmaster, and a nice ES345 or 355.
    I’m not too sentimental.
    All my current instruments are keepers.

Bob M and nojazzhere like this.
  7. PlainAllman

PlainAllman Tele-Holic

I don’t sell gear anymore because the few times in the past that I did sell I regretted it. I have loaned stuff out and I have regretted that even more.

TokyoPortrait and OldDude2 like this.
  8. blowtorch

blowtorch Telefied Ad Free Member

No, or rather, very rarely.
    But I have to get in the habit of doing so.
    I realized yesterday I bought 9 guitars this year. That's just ridiculous, and a good half dozen have to go (probably only one of the 9, though)

9. voskarp

voskarp Tele-Meister

No

10. Tele-beeb

Tele-beeb Friend of Leo's

Yes...
    My last trade was at least a $200 loss...
    On the bright side, I lost to a friend who I regularly swap with.
    Sometimes he wins, sometimes I win...
    It’s really a win-win!

Deathray, Maroonandwhite and Bob M like this.
  11. Whatizitman

Whatizitman Friend of Leo's

I've bought and sold more in the last 2 years than in the previous 15 or so. Older and wiser now, so my purchases and sells are better planned, with fewer regrets, more gain and less loss.

Still... it's like crack. Difficult to stay at a maintenance dose, if you knowhatimean. Trying to keep within a one-in-one-out rule, but it's hard. Right now I have more amps than I need, in part because I like to buy broken ones on the cheap to try and fix them. So far it's worked out in flipping and trading in my favor. But I know that's not always gonna be the case. You can only trade up so much before the law of diminishing returns comes into play. Just because you can get a big old amp for cheap now doesn't necessarily mean you should, if you have any concern for future trade/resale.

Bob M likes this.
  12. bftfender

bftfender Friend of Leo's

Ar the point now where it's very selective buying but a lot of it. never thought i would be into gear like this. Was always the gig rig & back up. Gear became a main help in life. Went from being very active life to being inside due to accident.I thought we were moving this year & retiring. Didn't happen yet,..sold some gear that should not have.Just lifted the ban & the binge is on

13. Dismalhead

Dismalhead Poster Extraordinaire

I buy, sell, trade, give things away.

Can't think of anything I've bought that I regret getting in the last 15 years or so - being able to research new acquisitions seems to have put the kibosh on that. I only regret trading two guitars over the past 40 years - an Alvarez Dana II Triforce that I won in a drawing and a mid-'90s US Hamer Special - but I picked up a Gibson SG and my first US Tele by trading them.

Last edited: Dec 13, 2019
    robmclark likes this.
  14. ronzhd

ronzhd Tele-Holic

Buy, sell and trade. Even give away from time to time. Pay it forward ya know

Maroonandwhite likes this.
  15. 8trackmind

8trackmind Tele-Holic

Rarely. I've lost too much good stuff that way. I sometimes trade. I give more away than I sell.

Fiesta Red likes this.
  16. CK Dexter Haven

CK Dexter Haven Friend of Leo's

Of course.. Otherwise where would I sleep?

I am a what Jonathan Gash in his Lovejoy books refers to as a “divvy” ( a almost supernatural ability to find valuable and authentic items) Yesterday I was coming home from a concert and got stuck in a “ right turn only lane” took me into a strip mall w/ a thrift I had never been before. Might as well go in..

Nice Yamaha Classical W/ bag, a Evans Real Feel practice pad and a Lionel train set. $75 for all.
    This happens all the time.. alas I’m more Micawber when selling; as long as I’m “ one Penny up” at the end of the year I too am a happy camper.

Last edited: Dec 13, 2019
  17. Rockinvet

Rockinvet Tele-Meister

Hi my name is Rockinvet and I’m a gear addict. Not only do I sell good gear, I lose money with it! Just to buy more. Of course that’s tongue in cheek. But there is some truth to it.

Fiesta Red likes this.
  18. Guitarteach

Guitarteach Poster Extraordinaire

Sell? Gear?

Does not compute

19. Fiesta Red

Fiesta Red Friend of Leo's

Yes. I’ve sold gear to survive/eat/make house/car/utility payments and I’ve sold gear because it just didn’t “do it” for me anymore.

Only three pieces I’d like a second shot at, but the love I had for them may not be the same.

-My old silverface Bassman Ten. I loved that thing, but I needed to make a house payment and Lord, it was heavy. I (wisely) kept the Vibroverb instead. Recently, I almost pulled the trigger on getting another Bassman Ten, and then I picked it up...nope, not gonna happen.

-The first G&L Nighthawk that I owned. It was a great sounding, great looking guitar, but we needed the mortgage money and I already had my “signature” Fiesta Red Stratocaster, so I sold it and made two house payments. I later bought a different Nighthawk, and it just wasn’t the same...it didn’t sound as good and didn’t feel the same...I don’t know if it was a difference in *me* (15 years between the first and second) or a difference in the guitar, but I sold the second one unregretfully.

-A G&L SC-2 that I never really bonded with at the time, plus I needed the money. Years later, I wonder if it was *me* instead of the guitar...my playing style and choice of pickups has massively changed (20+ years later), and I wonder if I’d bond with it now.

I recently (this week!) sold two more pieces and don’t miss them at all. I sold them to help finance a missionary trip to Peru for my daughter.

I also gave a friend a TS808 reissue that he fell in love with, and that made me happy to see him immediately make a place for it in his rig (even removing two other pedals)...

2 Headed Goat and nojazzhere like this.
  20. stormsedge

stormsedge Tele-Holic Gold Supporter

Nope.

Fiesta Red likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.