1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Do you see a market for this product ?

Discussion in 'Telecaster Discussion Forum' started by buckwalder, Jan 20, 2015.

1. buckwalder

buckwalder Tele-Meister

Lets face it, some of us love the look and the features of a vintage fender.
    One of those features is the truss rod adjustment placement at the heal of the neck, the notch in the pick guard and the screw that is recessed in the heal of the neck of a vintage Fender.
    The notch in the pickguard and the recessed philips screw can be replicated easily by anyone that that knows the look and is of course, competent with power tools.
    But, lets just say you just bought a really great guitar ( for example a Classic Vibe) But you hate that unsightly headstock truss rod adjust hole.
    Even though, you have matured as a player to know that the classic vibe series rivals and out performs more expensive examples, you feel that to make it perfect only requires the most basic cosmetic change.
    That change would be to cover up that unsightly truss rod adjustment hole at the headstock. Even though it makes more sense to have it there.
    But, you love the look of the 50's and 60's guitars that had the adjustment at the heal of the neck. (You know that clean vintage look?)
    So, Im sure most are familiar with the modern sticky sealing film that you see on some modern day items you bring home from the grocery store. ( Like Oreo cookies..ect)
    So, thanks for your patience, but the product would have the same properties.
    The product would be available in a standard notebook paper size sheet.
    On this sheet, would include several sticky film truss rod covers with part #s under each one. That way when you find the perfect match, you order a sheet in that part #.
    The price per sheet retail would be just under ten bucks.
    Now, you would have to buy this online because most guitar players that would buy this, would be to shy to to purchase at your local music store.

2. Daddy Hojo

Daddy Hojo Friend of Leo's

Sorry. I don't see a market for that. A sticker would bother me far more than a truss rod hole.

3. philspeed1

philspeed1 Tele-Meister

I agree sticker woud look tacky(pardon the pun)

4. Gautfrid

Gautfrid Banned

Nope, but I don't see a headstock truss rod hole as 'unsightly'.

Anyone who was that bothered would just buy a vintage neck rather than try to 'paper over the cracks' as it were.

5. LeftyAl

LeftyAl Friend of Leo's

:rolleyes:

6. BigDaddyLH

BigDaddyLH Tele Axpert Ad Free Member

Nope

7. burntfrijoles

burntfrijoles Poster Extraordinaire

Nope. If it's a good guitar on it's own why to cover up a minor detail. Is it really necessary to remedy a perceived aesthetics issue? It still says Squier on the headstock.

8. dsutton24

dsutton24 Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

It's a weird thing to obsess over, I'd wonder if I had enough patience to deal with customers with that level of gear obsession. There are tons of guys who mess around with cloth covered wire floofy caps because it makes them feel better just knowing they're there. I wouldn't buy them, but I wonder if others might.

9. Jupiter

Jupiter Telefied Silver Supporter

Your target market for this product would be, in Fezz Parka's words, a goober. :D

That said, there are goobers out there buying stuff like this and worse, so...maybe? :lol:

I think your biggest problem would be that you'd need to move quite a lot of 'em to be worth the trouble. How many would one goober need??

10. Muddshark

Muddshark TDPRI Member

No way. Sorry.

11. Muddshark

Muddshark TDPRI Member

Plus different shades of finish would make it near impossible to consistently match

12. Lowbassnotes

Lowbassnotes Friend of Leo's

The truss rod adjustment could be on the side of the neck for all I care as long as the thing plays nicely.

13. Telephx

Telephx Tele-Meister

Is there a market? Maybe, look at the inlay stickers, truss rod cover plates and bolt on neck plates for example. Some people love to pimp out their guitar. But if I really wanted to, I would buy a sheet of wood grain contact paper and make my own.....

14. buckwalder

buckwalder Tele-Meister

Bingo !

15. buckwalder

buckwalder Tele-Meister

Would you pay 475.00 street price, If the squier Cv series included vintage specs such as the truss rod adjustment at the heal plus a lacquer finish and a fender logo with patent #s on the headstock?

16. dsutton24

No.

17. buckwalder

buckwalder Tele-Meister

Ok, Well how much were the Mij/ Cij models when they came out in the late 80's through the 90's.
    They had cheap pickups and a really thick poly finish. People are paying 700 + for a nice example.

18. dsutton24

Okay, so thus is some kind of weird joke I'm not understanding. Time to go.

19. buckwalder

buckwalder Tele-Meister

No, just thinking out loud.

The classic vibe series from Squier is known for their great guitars. Right ?

So, lets say Fender lets the same factory produce vintage spec models with a lacquer finish and a fender logo on the headstock.
    The neck plate would say, CVxxxxx meaning chinese vintage.
    As an added bonus you get the pat pend saddles on the Stratocaster + the pat #s on the headstock and pat pend under the ( original contour body ) decal.
    All for 125.00 more than the retail of a standard CV model.
    The tele, of course would have the same vintage appointments.

20. Jupiter

Jupiter Telefied Silver Supporter

No, because I want a more durable finish and more convenient trussrod adjustment, and I don't need an F decal.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.