Do you remember your first case of G.A.S.?

LOSTVENTURE

Friend of Leo's
I would say my first taste of GAS started early in 1964 when Fender first announced the new Mustang model. In fact, I still have that entire catalog as a reminder. The guitar did not get into stores untill August of that year, at least in the Richmond, Virginia area, and the wait seemed to last forever. But it was all as advertised and I played that guitar through high school, college, and into the middle 70's.

Lou Tencodpees

Tele-Afflicted
If I recall mine was some sort of Greenburst Silvertone that I lusted after in a magazine when I decided I wanted to play guitar. I never did get it but it did in part inspire one of my more recent Strat builds.

O- Fender

Friend of Leo's
Seeing a clip of Neil Young on one of his acoustic tours. He had many guitars on stands, various tunings and sounds and his banjo/guitar whatever it's called. He finished one song and wandered around strumming strings until one inspired him of what to play next.
Also, reading an article on the release of the Rickenbacker 370/12 RM. I soon realized they were going to sell out and the people buying would be Tom Petty, Peter Buck, people with guitar collections and others with gear buying connections. I was some guy who was saving his pennies in a rather remote town. Also, I found out the Ric 12 was a one trick pony. An amazing one trick pony but still too specific sound for my needs.
The 370/12 RM and the 50 guitars on stands are still on my "when I win the lottery " list.

Call Me Al

Tele-Holic
I started bass in 2000, acoustic guitar in 2007. Played many years blissfully ignorant to the possibilities of GAS, one axe of each was enough.

In 2017 I joined a cover band (on bass) with a $100 Peavey bass and a Rumble amp. my band leader says something like “one day you’ll get a real Fender bass and a good amp.” And I’m like “huh, there’s something wrong with my gear??” 😆 So that’s when I fell down the rabbit hole!

I tried stuff, and learned a lot. Some swaps paid off, some didn’t. When I picked up electric guitar in 2020, I tried not to fall into the same trappings. Sure, I got a SS and some tubes, a Tele and a Semihollow… but I think largely I’ve kept the beast at bay and been able to focus on making music.

Always share this one when GAS comes up, nicely sums up my current outlook on the subject:

runstendt

Tele-Holic
My first flare up with GAS occurred when I was about 11 or 12 years old and saw an acoustic guitar for sale at a toy store in Rehobeth Delaware whilst on vacation. I already had a small nylon string, but this one had steel strings and I could actually afford it with some birthday money I had saved up. It took until the day we left to convince my parents to stop again, but that guitar came home with me.

brookdalebill

Tele Axpert
Ad Free Member
Yup.
I was given a nice 1963 Jazzmaster for Christmas, in 1970, when I was 13.
Only problem was, most of my rock guitar heroes played Strats and Pauls.
I thought that Strats and Pauls were like Excalibur, and would make me the rock guitarist I wanted to be.
I acquired my first Strat, also a 63, in 1972.
I acquired my first Paul, a 68 gold top in 1973.
Naturally, I foolishly sold and traded off the Fenders to get the Paul.
I got GAS early, and still have it.
Anyways, now I know that good gear is cool and fun, but there is no Excalibur.
Luckily, GAS is not fatal, at least not yet.;)

Last edited:

ChicknPickn

Poster Extraordinaire
Gold Supporter
Twelve years old, after my piano lesson at Poole Music Co., Raleigh, NC (1975). The guitar rack. A Fender Mustang, white, maple neck.

Maguchi

Friend of Leo's
I'm talking about the first guitar, amp, or pedal you remember seeing and thinking "I have GOT to have it!".

My first guitar was a Stella by Harmony that my grandma had purchased from Sears-Roebucks as a gift to my dad that I found in the attic. Fast forward a few months of terrible 1 string renditions of "Bad to the Bone" and I had started thumbing through Musician's Friend catalogues trying to find my first electric guitar. For whatever reason, this was the guitar that stood out to me:

Maybe it was the yellow finish or all the hardware but something about the Epiphone Wildkat always jumped from the page. I was so, so sure that once I graduated from that Stella I was going to get a Wildkat for my first electric.

Spoiler: I did not. I got a lifeless hunk of Ibanez instead, but at $125 with gig bag it was a much wiser investment for a 13 year old.

What about you? What was your first "I gotta get me one of those!" guitar? Did you end up buying it or did you grow out of it as your style and playing evolved?
When the Fender American Standard Strat first came out in 1987 I had to have one. So I got a 2 tone sunburst one with rw fretboard and a hard case new for under $600. Wish I still had it.

G Stone496

Tele-Meister
I'm talking about the first guitar, amp, or pedal you remember seeing and thinking "I have GOT to have it!".
When I was like 13 I wanted to join the stage band at school but all I had was a nylon string classical acoustic. I saw a secondhand TV yellow Gibson LP Special in the local music store and had to have it. So I worked after school and saved some money and got it. My dad set it up for me and I was off to the races.

StoneH

Friend of Leo's
Gold Supporter

My only GAS (today) is a D-41. If I bought it without telling my wife, GAS just might be be fatal.

1668552555451.png

Hodgo88

Tele-Holic
Ad Free Member
If I recall mine was some sort of Greenburst Silvertone that I lusted after in a magazine when I decided I wanted to play guitar. I never did get it but it did in part inspire one of my more recent Strat builds.
I still want one of those Silvertone amp-in-cases. Too cool for busking.
My only GAS (today) is a D-41. If I bought it without telling my wife, GAS just might be be fatal.

View attachment 1051368
The trick is to lie about the price, not the purchase overall. That there would only cost $800 if you asked my wife....

Hodgo88

Tele-Holic
Ad Free Member
Yup.
I was given a nice 1963 Jazzmaster for Christmas, in 1970, when I was 13.
Only problem was, most of my rock guitar heroes played Strats and Pauls.
I thought that Strats and Pauls were like Excalibur, and would make me the rock guitarist I wanted to be.
I acquired my first Strat, also a 63, in 1972.
I acquired my first Paul, a 68 gold top in 1973.
Naturally, I foolishly sold and traded off the Fenders to get the Paul.
I got GAS early, and still have it.
Anyways, now I know that good gear is cool and fun, but there is no Excalibur.
Do you still have the Goldtop at least??

brookdalebill

Tele Axpert
Ad Free Member
Do you still have the Goldtop at least??
Of course not.;)
I owned many valuable and cool guitars in the 55 years I’ve been playing.
I also had 3 additional 68 gold tops, a 56 Junior, a 55 gold top, a 55 Esquire, a 57 Tele (that I gave a friend), and about a half dozen 50s and 60s Strats.
They were just great used guitars that I freely played and traded.
Oh well, I don’t miss them as instruments.
I also don’t care about the money they are arguably worth.
I’m neither greedy, nor a hoarder.
I do believe the older guitars were generally better made.
The instruments I own now are the best I’ve ever had.

kuch

Friend of Leo's
When I was around 12, my best friend's brother was a drummer in a band with 2 other guys, bass and guitar. They all lived in our neighborhood so we used to watch them practice. The guitar player was a guitar "god" around town and he had a sunburst 63 Fender Jaguar and played through a BF Bandmaster. That, was the 1st first guitar I GASsed over. He knew I wanted that guitar. Fast forward 3 or so years and he asked me if I still wanted it. YESSS!!! I got that guitar for $100! My 1st real guitar. He had already sold the Bandmaster so I didn't get that, but I had another friend who was selling a 63 Blonde Tremolux. Got that for $100 too! My 1st real amp.

RobRiggs

Tele-Afflicted
It was 1980. There was a 1976 Gibson SG that I wanted so bad it gave me heart palpitations to think about it. I had $75.00 of the $350.00 asking price. My mom made up the difference. Mom was making minimum wage at the time, $3.35/hr. Caused a huge fight between my folks. I had it for a year before I traded it for the worlds worst BC Rich Mockingbird copy because the Bird copy had a trem. This fretboard wood was so soft it virtually spit frets out. It could not be made to stay in tune. But it had a trem…🙄

Dan German

Doctor of Teleocity
Funny, when I was young, I didn’t have GAS for any particular guitar. Or maybe it was just that I had GAS for all guitars equally, I dunno. Anyway, it was not until I read an article about David Lindley and Ry Cooder in the very late ‘70s that there was something I Had To Have. I learned about Danelectros, and was convinced that I Had To Have one. They were less talked about then, and didn’t turn up every day. The first time I saw one in a music store, I bought it. Still have it. Impulses can be good things.