Do you remember the first music video that you saw?

Chester P Squier

Friend of Leo's
We got our first TV when I was 6 years old. The year was 1954. No typo.

There was an afternoon TV show called Music Hall Varieties. It consisted of music videos. Granted, they were “performance” videos, but they were not live on stage performances.

I remember a song called “Dude Cowboy” or something like that. Can’t remember who sang it.
“A dude cowboy, a dude, dude cowboy, he’s got a lot to learn. “ Western swing, I suppose.

I thought they were singing “ a doo doo cowboy “ and wondered how they got away with saying bad words on TV. Misheard lyrics on my part.

But there were music videos in 1954. Probably earlier.

StoneH

Friend of Leo's
Gold Supporter
I had never heard of MTV until I walked into my squadron ready room at Officer Training School in 1983. I don't know what the first video was, but over the next 3 months, I saw every music video produced up to that point (over and over and over). I do remember hearing "Karma Chameleon" absolutely every time I plugged in my earphones to go running (every day, 7 days a week, for 90 days).

rdjones

Tele-Holic
Magic Carpet Ride by Steppenwolf

Goldie McJohn, the keyboard player for Steppenwolf produced the video for the song. Apparently he was interested in the new technology of video tape (as opposed to film) and got himself a video camera and video tape machine to play around with.
The music video was shown on a few of the popular music shows such as "American Bandstand" and possibly "Playboy After Dark".

IMMusicRulz

Tele-Afflicted

I always loved the music videos Cyndi Lauper made. I think her music videos were more creative than her contemporaries Janet Jackson and Madonna.

Watch very closely at the Goonies R Good Enough video and you can see the members of the Bangles dressed as female pirates. :p

gimmeatele

Friend of Leo's
Dire straits Money for nothing.
But I also remember hiring 'thriller" on video for the then wife as we had no way to see it, yes kids we hired a video, probably makes no sense to anyone under thirty! 😂😂😂

oldunc

Friend of Leo's
I remember when if you wanted to see performances you had to wait for an appearance on Ed Sullivan or (shiver) American Bandstand or some such, and what a thrill it was when things like the TAMI show came along. Then came the performance videos, which I must say are kind of neat even though so many of them are plagued with artistic camera work and atrocious sound. Staged music videos are a whole 'nother animal, apparently created for the sole purpose of driving me mad.

WingedWords

Friend of Leo's
For me it was “Hanging on the telephone” by Blondie (on Top of the Pops - which used to play videos long before MTV - especially for Non UK bands).
Yes, "videos" were a TOTP staple. For some reason I remember the film of Roy Orbison and Pretty Woman. 1964 I imagine.

But this must get an honourable mention

Last edited:

Refugee

Tele-Afflicted
I had never heard of MTV until I walked into my squadron ready room at Officer Training School in 1983. I don't know what the first video was, but over the next 3 months, I saw every music video produced up to that point (over and over and over). I do remember hearing "Karma Chameleon" absolutely every time I plugged in my earphones to go running (every day, 7 days a week, for 90 days).
I'm sorry for you and your mates in training.

Refugee

Tele-Afflicted

I always loved the music videos Cyndi Lauper made. I think her music videos were more creative than her contemporaries Janet Jackson and Madonna.

Watch very closely at the Goonies R Good Enough video and you can see the members of the Bangles dressed as female pirates. :p

I never liked her until she released, Time After Time. It was a bit too bubble gummy until she really started belting it out. Now I think she's awesome. Same with Belinda Carlisle. Heard some of her recent stuff and she can belt it out!

Lucius Paisley

Tele-Afflicted
The national broadcaster used to show music videos at the beginning of the day after the title card, during unscheduled breaks, and often on a whim between programs just to make sure they could fit everything they needed to show to fill their programming obligations from the beginning to close. As such, I saw MANY music videos, along with a large number of other people who have been contributing for years to a blog thread regarding these videos, trying to fill gaps in memories, and possibly locating and purchasing videos...

Anyway, I'm almost positive the very first music video I ever saw was Love Is All from the Roger Glover concept album for The Butterfly Ball and the Grasshopper's Feast.

burtonfan

Tele-Afflicted
I can't remember a specific video pe se, but I'm sure it was something from American Bandstand, Solid Gold, or Night tracks.

Not really a proper video, but the first thing I specifically remember watching was one of Elvis' televised concerts a few months before he died.

srblue5

Tele-Afflicted

I was a huge fan of Paul Simon as a kid thanks to my parents taping his Graceland concert and the Simon and Garfunkel Central Park concert off the TV. Some time later, my sister called me over because she was watching MuchMusic and they showed this video for some reason.

Vibroluxer

Friend of Leo's

I was a huge fan of Paul Simon as a kid thanks to my parents taping his Graceland concert and the Simon and Garfunkel Central Park concert off the TV. Some time later, my sister called me over because she was watching MuchMusic and they showed this video for some reason.

His best effort!! I love it, he really let's the band play and they do. I like this song better than anything Gloria Estefan did and she's quite the talent.

srblue5

Tele-Afflicted
His best effort!! I love it, he really let's the band play and they do. I like this song better than anything Gloria Estefan did and she's quite the talent.
It's definitely in my Top 5 favourite Paul Simon songs. My favourite version, however, is the "reprise" version from Simon & Garfunkel's Central Park concert. Right from Steve Gadd counting off the song, it just seemed like the whole band put 1000% into the "reprise" performance and it sounded more energetic. That being said, I haven't heard a bad version by Simon of this song.

Back when I was a kid, I thought this music video was like an "outtake" or something of the Central Park performance, since both "videos" featured Simon along with Gadd on drums and Richard Tee on piano.

Hodgo88

Tele-Holic
Ad Free Member
Man, growing up in the 90s felt like it was the heyday of music videos. I think the earliest one I really remember was Thriller... but the two I recall the most vividly:

1) Del Amitri - Roll to Me

I HATED this video. I hated the song, but I really, really hated those stupid heads on those baby bodies. I wouldn't say it traumatized me - I wasn't scared, per se... I just abhorred the existence of Del Amitri and their stupid music video from the core of my soul. I think I probably still resent them, thinking about it now...

2) Aerosmith - Pink

This one also stuck in my head for the same reasons, except I actually loved the song. Of course, the really memorable part for me as a young fella was the flash of skin from the woman in the blue sweatshirt.

I also vaguely remember seeing Marilyn Manson covered in paint riding a pig in one of his videos, but I cant recall which it was or when that would have been.