1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Do you refrigerate hot sauce..

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by ViciousDoctor, Oct 1, 2020.

1. Junkyard Dog

Junkyard Dog Friend of Leo's

Generally no. An opened bottle of table sized hot sauce does not really last long enough at the house to worry about it. If it was some huge industrial sized hot sauce jug, then...maybe. I know when I worked in restaurants/bars the kitchen never bothered to refrigerate the gallon jugs of Frank’s that were used for hot wings.

2. bsman

bsman Friend of Leo's

Dangit - I was tryin' to be good, and now you've gone and made me think about hot wings...

Junkyard Dog likes this.
  3. Whatizitman

Whatizitman Friend of Leo's

Open goes in fridge. Unopened goes in pantry. When opened goes back in pantry, it gets forgotten. You end up with several opened similar items, waiting to go bad. My kitchen is not an office break room. There's gotta be some order, dagnabbit!

Junkyard Dog likes this.
  4. ronzhd

ronzhd Tele-Holic Ad Free Member

Flavor, I usually stop at the Habanero level for condiments You start talking about Ghost peppers, Carolina reapers and what not, I have no interest. Hard to eat when your crying, can't breathe, and snot is running down your face, or at least for me anyway.

notmyusualuserid likes this.
  5. boris bubbanov

boris bubbanov Tele Axpert Ad Free Member

Ron, I know people, I swear, who eat a lot of this ultra hot sauce, to sort of control their food intake. Their impulse to eat and eat. Rather than eat too much and gain weight, they do too many Scofields and spend time crying and finding more water to drink and blowing their nose instead.

6. johnny k

johnny k Poster Extraordinaire

[​IMG]

that one and dave's insanity sauce and blair's ultra death are in the fridge. It is written on the bottle. I like to follow rules.

Sometimes, when i feel like i need a bit of danger, i might eat some cheese that is 2 days past the expiration date. That is the crazier i am willing to go.

7. Old Smokey

Old Smokey TDPRI Member

It’s perfectly safe to store at room temp, but the flavor goes off if it sits too long (months). Also, Tabasco is garbage.

8. Switchy

Switchy Tele-Afflicted

Unrefrigerated on the counter is how you age hot sauce. For more flavor.

9. CajunJ

CajunJ Tele-Holic

Never. I’m still alive... I think.

10. boris bubbanov

boris bubbanov Tele Axpert Ad Free Member

I do feel comfortable saying that these hot sauces evolved, prior to the ready availability of Refrigeration.

I'll also say that I know of people who, when they found sliced meat or a forgotten burger in the refrigerator that had begun to go bad, they'd put hot sauce on the decomposing food so they could manage to eat it. And the product has a lot of components in common with "pickled" or otherwise cured food items that are heavy with salt and/or vinegar.

And I think that people who find a half bottle of Hot Sauce in the back of the cupboard and throw it away because it is "Past Peak" are dilettantes. There. I said it. This stuff is really hard to kill - that's a large part of its appeal.

But I still put it in the refrigerator. I am sorry, but that's just the way I roll.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.