1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Do you refrigerate eggs?

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by Bluesboy3, Sep 6, 2020.

Do you refrigerate eggs?

1. Yes

152 vote(s)
    90.5%
  2. No

16 vote(s)
    9.5%
  1. drf64

drf64 Poster Extraordinaire

This is absolutely true. We have happy, free range hens. We don’t refrigerate the eggs ever and just wash them right before we crack them. New word for the day, kids: lysozyme.

2. Wrighty

Wrighty Friend of Leo's

And the worst pun of the thread goes to...................only yoking!

3. Wrighty

Wrighty Friend of Leo's

In Scotland, for a big part of the year, the fridge is probably the warmest place!

radiocaster likes this.
  4. tap4154

tap4154 Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

Yes refrigerate, and I shake them before using. If the stuff inside moves too much, I toss them (getting old).

5. Gardo

Gardo Tele-Afflicted Silver Supporter

We refrigerate eggs,however eggs that have not had the natural coating washed away don’t need refrigerating

6. Asmith

Asmith Friend of Leo's

Not too single you out (although I am). Why would anyone in the UK refrigerate their eggs? You buy them off a shelf like this

eggs600.jpg

And they have instructions on them to store in a cool dry place and at least a week on their best before.

I keep mine out of the fridge and they're normally still alright a week past their best before but the yolks normally do split at that point.

Nick Fanis and drf64 like this.
  7. schmee

schmee Doctor of Teleocity

It's because they are washed clean. If you've had chickens, you know eggs come with chicken crap and other things on the shell. The membrane on the outside protects the egg and they will last better unwashed. I suppose it's there so they turn into chicks when laid on for a while instead of getting rotten!

3-Chord-Genius likes this.
  8. Cpb2020

Cpb2020 Tele-Meister Silver Supporter

If we buy them at the store, yes. If we get them from the hens in the yard, no.

fjblair and boris bubbanov like this.
  9. jhundt

jhundt Doctor of Teleocity

I can't read through all the pages, but I want to offer this:

I did some reading about this subject recently. And I learned this: European eggs are not washed (as one poster mentioned already) and therefore do not NEED to be refrigerated. Here in Holland they are never refrigerated as far as I know.

At home (in Europe), eggs need not be refrigerated; but they will keep fresher much longer if they are refrigerated.

The problem occurs if a fresh, refrigerated egg is allowed to warm up. Something happens within the egg that causes it to spoil. (Sorry, I can't remember all the science). So if an egg is sold refrigerated, and you put it in the back seat of your car while you do other errands, then stick it back into the fridge - it's gonna go bad. But the same egg, if sold unrefrigerated, would not suffer the same degradation. It has everything to do with the change in temperature, not the temperature itself.

So in Europe, eggs are sold fresh and unrefrigerated, so that they can be purchased and transported with little temperature change. And it is the choice of the purchaser whether to refrigerate them or not at home. Lately, my eggs in Holland have been carrying a little notice recommending that they be kept refrigerated after purchase. It says that an unrefrigerated egg will lose as much 'freshness' in one day as a refrigerated egg will lose in a week.

MilwMark likes this.
  10. papa32203

papa32203 Tele-Holic

In theory, what is inside the shell should be uncontaminated. The salmonella, e-coli, etc, is on the shell as a byproduct of fecal contamination due to the way factory chicken farms house/process. There is also the issue of sick/dying chickens left/processed in these same environs.

Hormone/antibiotic-free chickens that run around eating bugs and weeds tend to have very few of the problems noted above. They get sick- they die.

We have to pasteurize, refrigerate, boil and sanitize largely due to our processes (antibiotics, weed killers, hand sanitizers, ad nauseam) creating stronger and more resilient organisms (viruses, bacterium, weeds, parasites). Kill the weak, make the strong stronger. Hence, MRSA, coronavirus, c-diff, etc.....

11. carpenter

carpenter Tele-Holic Silver Supporter

Eggs from the coop.Chickens eat better here than I do.

12. blowtorch

blowtorch Telefied Ad Free Member

when you don't refrigerate, that's how you get a homonculi problem

WalthamMoosical likes this.
  13. EsquireOK

EsquireOK Friend of Leo's

Usually not.

If I buy a large quantity, then I refrigerate the number that I think I won't cook within a week.

I also refrigerate if my interior temperature is going to be above 80 for a while.

If they're right out of the chicken, I'm less particular. They have their natural coating in that case. Store bought eggs have had it washed off.

14. lewis

lewis Poster Extraordinaire

We have homegrown eggs, they are refrigerated after they are washed.

15. wahscoot

wahscoot Tele-Meister

I love this forum :)

Bluesboy3 likes this.
  16. boris bubbanov

boris bubbanov Tele Axpert Ad Free Member

I wouldn't eat eggs. I'd eat fish. And more fish.

We kept canned + bottled beverages in the river, to keep them cold.

Steerforth likes this.
  17. Hey_you

Hey_you Tele-Holic

Eggs keep a long time if properly stored. For many months I have read. I refrigerate mine due to not being consumed often.

18. Peegoo

Peegoo Poster Extraordinaire

I refrigerate 'em.

Keeps 'em from hatching.

WalthamMoosical likes this.
  19. teletail

teletail Tele-Afflicted

I cooked eggs for 30 years without a problem straight from the fridge to the frying pan. YMMV.

fjblair likes this.
  20. Colo Springs E

Colo Springs E Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

I think you need to in the US due to how they're processed. Chickens are vaccinated in Europe, and their un-refrigerated eggs taste better to me.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.