Do you prefer the feel of a Fender or a Gibson?

Do you prefer the feel of a Fender or a Gibson?

• Fender

• Gibson

Results are only viewable after voting.

Tonyapple

TDPRI Member
I own 2 Fender Tele’s and a Strat. I am also fortunate enough to own a Gibson 335, which I love. But if I am being honest, the Tele is just the guitar I am most comfortable playing. I feel like I have full control and dont worry about the guitar when I play. Tele for me.

bobio

Friend of Leo's
Ad Free Member
I am fortunate in that my Fender and Gibson guitars are within the range of what feels comfortable for me.

fretknot

Tele-Meister
I like the slim taper of a 1960s Gibson with a 12" radius board, and also like the narrow nut of a Tele. Not fond of the 7.25" radius nor vintage thin frets. I can get along with 9.5" radius. On the back side, I prefer a soft V or C shape. Not a fan of D shaped or wide necks.

burtf51

Tele-Afflicted
I preferred the feel of my Tele's and 335 when I was playing electrified, switch from one to the other whatever fitted the tune better, fast forward till now I prefer my acoustics.

Short on cash

Tele-Meister
Gibson......but I like a Hamer as well !

Attachments

• 20220527_203314.jpg
    20220527_203314.jpg
    153.1 KB · Views: 10
  • 20220520_210513.jpg
    20220520_210513.jpg
    136.3 KB · Views: 11

RetiredUnit1

Tele-Holic
Feel? I have different guitars for different sounds...

I don't think I ever stopped to feel one. Maybe I'll try that!

;)

loopfinding

Poster Extraordinaire
I agree with @jrblue

It could be because I only played acoustic guitar for the first ten years but I could never bond with an “archtop” derivative body.

I vote Fender, for this and other reasons. I like satin on the back of the neck, too.

i don't think being styled after an archtop is the whole problem. there are some pretty comfy archtops, and they are definitely more comfy than a dreadnought.

the problem with the les paul is that they pretty much just shrunk the proportions of an archtop, including the waist, which makes for a guitar that is horrible ergonomically.

if you look at a tele or a strat, while the body is obviously smaller than an archtop or a spanish guitar, the waist curve/length is about the same, so it doesn't sit awkwardly and still feels right.

dburns

Friend of Leo's
I’ve never played a Gibson (electric) guitar that made me want to keep playing it. I always have to put them right back down. They look and sound cool enough, just so uncomfortable to play for me.

nojazzhere

Doctor of Teleocity
Ad Free Member
Do you prefer the feel of a Fender or a Gibson guitar?
I should narrow this down by saying, when I say Fender I generically mean a Stratocaster/Telecaster guitar with a scale length of 25.5“, a nut width of 1.650“ and a rounder fretboard: 7.25“ or 9.5“.

When I say Gibson I generically mean a Gibson Les Paul/SG/ES -***, Flying V guitar with a scale length of 24.75“, a nut width of
1-11/16“ and a fretboard radius of 12“.

Yes, different models have varying neck sizes which add to the feel of playability. Fret sizes make a difference and of course body shape and weight add to the feel. But to keep this concise lets stick with the general specs that set these brands apart which are nut width, scale length and fretboard radius. To my feeling this makes a huge difference when fretting chords and especially bending strings.

What do you prefer to play according to these criteria?
My two Tele-styles are Telecaster bodies, with Warmoth conversion necks.......Gibson scale, 1 11/16" width nuts, 1" neck depth. Feel more like a Gibson (neck) but Fender cosmetics and tone. Where do I fall? (I didn't vote) ;)

Skydog1010

Friend of Leo's
Gold Supporter
When I chose Fender I was thinking Solid body Gibson's SG and LP. That ES thing especially the 355, brings a whole different dimension to the conversation. I think I would be most happy with two Teles, several Strats and an ES355, unfortunately I don't have the 355, probably never will. I do have a cheap LP copy that I hang onto because it's what I re-learned to play on, and it's a natural to me to play the Blues for some weird reason I can not explain, and it's not worth selling.

msalama

Tele-Afflicted
I prefer Fenders because they're more precise to play, even though Gibsons of course feel slinkier by nature. But, say, a Gibby with an ultra low action... meh, way too buttery and numb because there's no tactile feedback. Feels like shoving your leftie into a can of Vaseline!

black_doug

Friend of Leo's
Silver Supporter
i don't think being styled after an archtop is the whole problem. there are some pretty comfy archtops, and they are definitely more comfy than a dreadnought.

the problem with the les paul is that they pretty much just shrunk the proportions of an archtop, including the waist, which makes for a guitar that is horrible ergonomically.

if you look at a tele or a strat, while the body is obviously smaller than an archtop or a spanish guitar, the waist curve/length is about the same, so it doesn't sit awkwardly and still feels right.

Dreadnoughts aren’t very comfy either.

arlum

Friend of Leo's
Platinum Supporter
You want only one answer. Gibson. That said ....
II prefer the shorter Gibson scale length. ..... Gibson
I prefer a fingerboard radius of 10"+. ........ Gibson. (Even my favorite Stratocaster, the Eric Johnson, sports a Gibson type 12" radius.
While I like multiple body wood types my favorites are a Mahogany body with a Maple top or a Korina / Limba body with or without a maple top. ...... Gibson.
A body shape that has some width to the sides that sits solidly and comfortably on my leg when playing in a seated position. ....... Both brands but with more models by Gibson than Fender. Rounded edged guitars like Jags, Strats, Jazzmasters, etc. tend to slide around. And yes .... Gibson SGs would also fall into this category but, Les Pauls, ES-335 - 355, L-5s, etc. all feel much better on my leg when sitting.
A body that balances in the perfect playing position when strapped on. ..... Fender.

gimmeatele

Friend of Leo's
I have to say Gibson as the scale length is less straining on my fretting hand, age and injuries are catching up and started to have difficulty fretting my teles about a year ago, even with 9's.
BUT, I bought one of those hand strengtheners with the individual springs for each finger and that does seem to be helping my left hand, so here's hoping.