1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Do You Prefer The 3 Steel Saddles Or 3 Brass?

Discussion in 'Telecaster Discussion Forum' started by daza152, Aug 22, 2012.

1. MASONish

MASONish Tele-Holic

I like the vintage style (brass). I think they just did it right back then. Not saying the newer isn't better because it is, technically. I just tend to like the old school things. Color me lame I guess!

2. surfoverb

surfoverb Doctor of Teleocity

steel. the way leo intended them to be. 5/16" smooth, cold rolled unintonated, unotched, steel. ala early Broadcasters
    [​IMG]

brass is Ok too ;)
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

intonated is cool if the guitar needs it. some do, some dont.
    [​IMG]

3. NastyMojo

NastyMojo Tele-Afflicted

I myself favor the brass. It adds just the right amount of girth the low strings.

4. Dr. Bill

Dr. Bill Tele-Afflicted

Depends on the pickup. I prefer brass for SD Broadcaster. The brass saddles do roll off some highs.

5. coralreefer

coralreefer Tele-Meister

Aluminum on E/A, rest brass...Rutters

6. Gibson

Gibson Friend of Leo's

I choose brass because it looks good. I'm another one with cloth ears who can't hear the difference.

7. tele_bob

tele_bob TDPRI Member

I like steel for my vintage-pickup Tele and brass for my higher output-pickup Tele. The difference is in the twang factor. Steel has a little more than brass.

8. Mark Davis

Mark Davis Telefied Ad Free Member

I like steel seems to have a quicker attack and more twang.

Hard to tell the difference on a bandstand with a drummer and whole band playing but you can hear a slight difference at bedroom volumes.

9. El Reclusa

El Reclusa Tele-Afflicted

Depends- I like both, but often the difference in sound is slight. Quality is a different matter. As long as they're well made from good stock, they'll do. Well made is what's important, and in good working order.

10. Lazerface

Lazerface Tele-Holic

My tele has 6 steel saddles, thats how i bought it and i bought it because i like how it sounds, so i have no reason to change it. If (sorry, when) i do my partscaster (or kitcaster) i will most likely go with 3 brass saddles.

11. Martin R

Martin R Friend of Leo's

Then there's the Glendale Twang set ...Aluminum for the E/A, brass for the others.

FWIW, I switched from steel to Twang and the difference was very noticeable. And they're compensated so tuning improvedk too.

12. John Page

John Page Tele-Meister

I designed, make, and use these on my Tele because I wanted a softer attack and a sweeter tone. I have always loved my Tele, but I didn't like the shrill top end.

[​IMG]

13. backporchmusic

backporchmusic Friend of Leo's

I'm surprised nobody said this yet, but I put brass saddles on my '72 custom RI with a maple fretboard, and love it. I put steel saddles on my MIM parts Croppercaster with a rosewood fretboard, and love it. Maybe mixing the brass/maple and the steel/rosewood pays dividends?

14. varakeef

varakeef Tele-Afflicted

Steel saddles with to grooves each when tele is equipped with B-bender. Brass in anything else althou it really doesn't matter - just a habit.

15. A.B.Negative

A.B.Negative Friend of Leo's

Brass for me. They're the only way I've found to get rid of the earwax-melting shrillness of steel saddles (although I'd like to try John Page's saddles, they are lovely).

16. PennyCentury

PennyCentury Poster Extraordinaire

Two brass, one steel. (for low E and A).

17. Ricky D.

Ricky D. Doctor of Teleocity

Maybe you have a good point there, or maybe you're just like me. ;) I like almost everything if it's done well.

If you are up for a project, swap the saddles and let us know how brass/rosewood and steel/maple work out.

I have Glendale steel/brass/brass on one and 6 cheapo steel on another. Both maple. Love them both. One's a little brighter than the other. There are so many differences between the two, I can't point to the saddles as the difference maker.

18. Tonetele

Tonetele Poster Extraordinaire

Arlo West uses brass from top E to D- then steel on the bottom twostrings. Have just today made the same for a customer who wanted some brass saddles. I like my Wilkinson brass saddles ( see GuitarFetish)on my Tele with vintage p/ups. Love it, so does my luthier who does final set-ups, maybe it's a sound thing for various pickups. I don't know.

19. zoppotrump

zoppotrump Tele-Afflicted

E and A ist steel and the rest is brass , sounds perfect for me

20. EsquireOK

EsquireOK Friend of Leo's

My favorite non-standard Tele bridges are the G&L ASAT Classic bridges. They have six separate brass saddles.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.