1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Do you play slide?

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by Recalcitrant, Jan 17, 2021.

1. Mr Perch

Mr Perch Tele-Afflicted

I have played slide for a long time. I use a Dunlop glass slide on my 2nd finger, because I have played in a lot of trios and it allows me to still play barre chords with fingers 1, 3 and 4. I started out with what I heard was the Lowell George tuning, tuning the high E string down to D to make the 4 highest strings into a G chord. I would tune that string down on tunes where I played slide, then tune it back for conventional playing at the gig, except when I forgot to tune it back, which was often. So then I learned to play slide with conventional tuning, which is awkward but it can be done. To get a minor third you have to angle the slide between the B and G strings, which takes practice.

More recently I picked up an Ibanez GAX70 for peanuts at a pawn shop, which I now use exclusively for slide. I tune it to an open E chord and I am using .13 strings for both the B and E strings to get a thicker tone on the high notes.

Recalcitrant likes this.
  2. fraser

fraser Tele-Afflicted

thats the same guitar i learned to slide on.
    Awesome.

Stringbanger likes this.
  3. scooteraz

scooteraz Friend of Leo's

This. I have slides, but I don’t practice enough to be good with them, and only occasionally is it required for the music I’m playing out. So, not much reason to practice (except my own gratification).

4. regularslinky

regularslinky Tele-Afflicted

I’ve always wanted to play slide, but never got around to it -until I injured the middle finger of my fretting hand about a month ago. Now it’s in a splint and I’m using the opportunity to learn some slide.

I set up my G&L Fallout with heavy strings and high action. I’m using a steel slide because I would drop and break a glass one, ring finger, playing mostly in open E and open G. I find myself using a combination of pick and fingers. Open tunings are the key for me, much easier than standard for slide. I’ll never be Duane or Derek, but I’m slowly getting better.

5. VWAmTele

VWAmTele Friend of Leo's

Open E, G and D. Glass and metal slides - and I have an SG and two resonators for slide only. Of course when I first started 45 years ago I had no idea what open tunings were - which explains why I could never play those Duane Allman licks correctly :)

Two years ago I dislocated my left index finger - could not fret for almost 6 months. Thank God for slide.

6. joealso

joealso Tele-Holic

Agreed. Very overpriced but it is, without a doubt, my favorite slide.

7. Newbcaster

Newbcaster Tele-Holic

Dillion Blue MOTS Pearl strat strung with 15s, fairly high action with custom brass nut and brass bridge.

Big ol blown gob of glass. Guitar tuned to D cuz Ry Cooder.

I also have a Glarry body that I'm building a custom slide neck for. It will be tuned to G. Cuz George Thorogood.

Do I play slide? Nah. But I have some cool stuff. Ill get there one day.

8. GuitarsBuicks

GuitarsBuicks Tele-Holic

Do I play slide? Yes. Am I good? Depends on what you consider good. I consider my self to be half-way decent. Have I ever played slide in a band? No. Would I like to? Yes. Should I practice more? Probably.

Personally as far as tunings are concerned I like Standard, open D, and open G. From those three tunings I can get to almost any other important key with a capo and some basic music theory.

saltyseadog and Recalcitrant like this.
  9. Bill Sheehan

Bill Sheehan Tele-Holic

Dang, that is excellent! I've not seen anyone approach it from over-the-top like he does! Very cool!

richiek65 likes this.
  10. richiek65

richiek65 Friend of Leo's

From memory, he broke his wrist when he first started to play and that was all he could do for a while. His wrist healed but he kept with it.

Here's the first song of his I heard. Mind was blown at the time, still is!

11. Freeman Keller

Freeman Keller Poster Extraordinaire

IMG_0677.JPG

IMG_2509.JPG

IMG_6414.JPG

The answer to the title question is yes, I play slide on almost every guitar I own, many different tunings depending on lots of different things. Most common is open D, G and C, or some variant tuned down lower. My favorite slide guitars are the Weissie, resonators, old Stella and the stella clone 12 string, favorite slides are a couple of Tribotones and home made wine bottle necks.

Recalcitrant and Stringbanger like this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.